End of Season Rank the rookie QB's

RPbillsfan

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

Mayfield played 4 years in college.  Had best players around him his rookie season.  Very solid offensive line, almost 1000 yard rusher, excellent WR, TE and RB's.  I see him being a pretty consistent 64% completion %, 25 TD, 10 INT guy with limited yards running.  Very solid, 10 to 12 year starter.  Few Pro Bowl games and nice career.

Think Allen and Darnold could put up crazy Aaron Rogers stats based on potential.

Yikes. I don’t agree

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I'd like to see a ranking of the offensive lines for these teams. Browns looked ok, Baltimore was solid, Bills were awful, Cards were god awful, and I think maybe the Jets were just ok. Seems to be about how the stats broke down for the QBs. Mayfield looks much better than the rest as far as consistency, but after that it gets harder to separate them with overall team play. 

Very good observation

I thought this was one of the best QB draft classes in quite some time for the QB position and i still believe it, I think every one of these QB's has potential to be a special player but who these teams surround these young QB's with from here on out will be a huge deciding factor going forward. Baker Mayfield to me had the best situation, the OL did lose a huge OT in Joe Thomas but it was still adequate and they had the best WR group of the bunch imo. Sam Darnold was plagued by the same things that he did wrong in college and that was the turnovers, if he can erase those turnovers he and Josh Allen will be like watching Marino and Kelly all over again. Josh Allen to me had the least to work with and really impressed me, I didn't even know he was this good of a runner in college, he never really showed this side on tape, to me he has Brett favre's gun slinger mentality, Big Bens pocket presence escapability and Steve Youngs gift of running for first downs, he is going to be a hell of alot of fun to watch. Rosen was victimized this season and if Arizona doesn't get Rosen an OL and weapons he is going to go down in a ball of fire but you cant really blame the guy and nobody can question his toughness, he took a pounding this year and was still respectable but I don't think Arizona is good at drafting or able to real in the necessary players along the OL imo. I loved Lamar Jackson in college and I told people he is going to translate to the NFL, people said Mike Vick, Randall Cunningham, Cam Newton won't translate to the NFL and they were dead wrong, this guy is a baller but the smart thing he's done most of the year was not take massive shots on all of these QB runs, I'm not saying none of his runs resulted in little hits, I'm sure defenses were teeing off on him but when i watched him from game to game he was going down sliding not taking shot after shot on every play.

That being said in 2018:

1. Mayfield

2. Josh Allen

3. Sam Darnold

4. Lamar Jackson

5. Josh Rosen

Beyond:

1. Mayfield

2. Allen

3. Jackson

4. Darnold

5. Rosen

all bias aside...

Mayfield has a coaching staff tailored specifically to him. They drafted a RB and WR for him, and also signed Jarvis Landry. He has all the support in the world, and balled out.

Allen was thrown into a literal offensive dumpster fire. He checked into his first game because we were getting smashed. He had 0 help at the RB and WR position. Yet through all the he persevered and got better each week. The injury was the best thing to happen to his career because he got to watch and learn.

Darnold/Rosen had similar situation of just being on bad teams with coaches who were getting canned at some point. They did the best with what they had, but neither showed me a week to week improvement like Allen did.

Lamar Jackson was sort of like Allen, but with a great team. He also gets better each week, but lacks the intangibles of a true polished franchise leader.

with that said...

THIS YEAR

1) Josh Allen

2) Baker Mayfield

3) Lamar Jackson

4) Sam Darnold

5) Josh Rosen

THE FUTURE

1/2) Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield - Pro Bowl and franchise QB's - 10 year starters

3) Sam Darnold - he will be the Jets guy and it will be great to watch him and Allen battle

4/5) Rosen and Jackson - back up QB's in the league within 3 years

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

This isn't updated for this week yet. They've only graded 7 of today's games, and haven't graded Baker, Lamar, or Rosen yet. I assume it'll be the same order still but I'd guess the gap between Baker and Allen will be a little larger than that.

Before the season, I had them ranked, in terms of being ready to play this year:

1. Baker

2. Lamar

3. Rosen

4. Allen

5. Darnold

In terms of overall rankings, I had it:

1. Lamar

2. Darnold

3. Allen

4. Baker

5. Rosen

After seeing them all play this year, I'd probably go:

1A. Baker

1B. Lamar

3. Allen

4. Darnold

5. Rosen

Lamar Jackson runs a gimmick offense. Basically he is a black version of Tim Tebow right now. The dude is not even close to Mayfield in terms of ability to play QB.  I'd probably put him 4th ahead of Rosen...

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Lamar has completely transformed that team and he's nowhere near his potential ceiling. Allen isn't near his yet either. If either of them are able to reach their respective ceilings, they'll probably be MVP candidates IMO.

Jackson has done a good job but winning while throwing for 150 yards a game probably isn't sustainable long term. Basically he is a glorified Tim Tebow right now. In his 7 starts he broke 200 yards passing 1 time...barely at 204 yards against San Diego...

Edited by matter2003

I thought Baker Mayfield was the best this year, but Josh Allen had the least help, by far. I think Allen was better than Darnold. The Bills were 5-6 in games that Josh started, while the Jets were 4-9 in games Darnold started. Both accounted for 18 TD's, Darnold threw 15 picks to Allen's 12. Darnold had better WR weapons and a much better o-line. I strongly believe that if we had the other Josh or Darnold, we'd be picking first in the draft. If the Bills FO can get Allen some o-line help and WR's/TE's that can catch, he'll be the best of the bunch in my biased opinion.

Now: 1) Baker, 2) Allen, 3) Darnold, 4) Lamar, 5) Rosen

Future: 1) Allen, 2) Baker, 3) Darnold, 4) Lamar, 5) Rosen

4 hours ago, cle23 said:

I am actually excited for something other than the draft.  It's amazing.  Even going 10-6 in 2007, it was evident Anderson wasn't the answer long term. This is completely different. 

Yes it is very different for you guys. Happy for the Browns fans.

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Lamar has completely transformed that team and he's nowhere near his potential ceiling. Allen isn't near his yet either. If either of them are able to reach their respective ceilings, they'll probably be MVP candidates IMO.

It's going to take a lot of work from both of them.  I agree both have HOF potential.  However, I think scheme matters with Lamar where as with Allen I believe he could run any scheme.

1. Baker Mayfield

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Sam Darnold

4. Josh Allen 

5. Josh Rosen

In terms of long term potential, I can't see how a QB with a 52% can be judged as the one with the best long term potential. I know I'll get flamed for saying it, but the top 3 assets a successful NFL QB needs are accuracy, accuracy and accuracy. You can't teach it. You either wake up with it or you don't. Josh doesn't. He runs exceptionally well, but he can't live and die by that. His final pass efficiency rating was a 67. He might raise that a bit in year 2 with better awareness, but inaccuracy will be his undoing.

4 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Who are you talking to? Everyone in the thread or someone in particular?

Anyone who thinks pct completion and INT and QBR is sufficient in itself to judge perfectly the career of a QB for any era.

i have no idea what they are getting at unless they are paid a lot of money to do this.... 

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Anyone who thinks pct completion and INT and QBR is sufficient in itself to judge perfectly the career of a QB for any era.

i have no idea what they are getting at unless they are paid a lot of money to do this.... 

Ok yes I was genuinely wondering not trying to undermine anything you said; just a bit confusing since you didn’t quote anyone.

and you’re right those stats should be starting points for discussing a QB’s performance, not ending points.

• Like (+1) 1