Where would we be if we still had Cogs and Wood?

1 hour ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Thing is, Eric left before the draft and Incognito also had his issues before that time. We knew we needed to upgrade the position but Teller was the highest we invested into the picks we had left (fewer due to trading up) 

Facts are not feelings.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I recognize that his play was falling off, especially when compared to 2015 when it was at an all-star level. That's understood. What is also understood was that this veteran player who was at the end of his career was not in this rebuilding team's future. The veteran even knew that.What was also evident was that this diminished player was still arguably our best blocker. The organization had the ability to absorb his contract without stressing the cap or handcuffing it from making other transactions.

The Incognito decision was a short term decision that hurt an already problematic O-line. Wouldn't it have made more sense to keep him for this year and then move on? There may be more to this issue but on the surface it didn't seem to be a prudent decision when considering how bad our line was without him. 

I dont agree with the pay cut being a slight but he took it and was happy to be playing here.  So they appearantly wernt too far off base.  He changed his mind and thats on him.  He could have said no.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I dont agree with the pay cut being a slight but he took it and was happy to be playing here.  So they appearantly wernt too far off base.  He changed his mind and thats on him.  He could have said no.

Bimgo.  Had he declined, I would have supported him.  Nobody held a gun to his head or took his loved ones hostage.  He said yes, signed, then went berserk.

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I hated/hate the Star signing so that tends to shape my opinion on the 2018 off season. Not sure who was available at OL other than Bodine(who may actually be serviceable at C) and Funkhouser(who's trash.) Probably could have allocated the Star resources better(much better). We'll see what happens this offseason. I'm not willing to give these guys 5 years. 3 years is plenty to figure it out.

We did get a pick for Newhouse.

Say whatever you want about JA's potential, our QB play would not have been good this year even with Woods and Cogs.  It would be interesting to see what our passer rating or QBR is when our QBs are not under pressure.  I doubt it would compare well with the rest of the league.

Nonetheless, I think if both Woods and Cogs played another year, our offense would have be much better - not great but reasonably competent.   Defenses don't respect our running attack.  They don't respect our passing attack.  They control the line of scrimmage.  In other words,  opposing defenses dictate to us instead of the other way around. 

Our OL problem is worse than our WR problem.  Young QBs like Nate and Josh are even more susceptible to pressure than vets.  And while all RBs need holes to run through, a scatbook like Shady needs space to do his best work.  

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Who thought it was a great idea to initiate a pay cut with one of our few all pro players?

His agent agreed to the restructured contract.  Why would Beane be wary when Incognito's agent agreed?

Cogs' behavior at the time was so back-and-forth and bizarre, I can't blame the FO.  

2 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Thing is, Eric left before the draft and Incognito also had his issues before that time. We knew we needed to upgrade the position but Teller was the highest we invested into the picks we had left (fewer due to trading up) 

Because they found there QB of the future on O and then on D.

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Say whatever you want about JA's potential, our QB play would not have been good this year even with Woods and Cogs.  It would be interesting to see what our passer rating or QBR is when our QBs are not under pressure.  I doubt it would compare well with the rest of the league.

Nonetheless, I think if both Woods and Cogs played another year, our offense would have be much better - not great but reasonably competent.   Defenses don't respect our running attack.  They don't respect our passing attack.  They control the line of scrimmage.  In other words,  opposing defenses dictate to us instead of the other way around. 

Our OL problem is worse than our WR problem.  Young QBs like Nate and Josh are even more susceptible to pressure than vets.  And while all RBs need holes to run through, a scatbook like Shady needs space to do his best work.  

His agent agreed to the restructured contract.  Why would Beane be wary when Incognito's agent agreed?

Cogs' behavior at the time was so back-and-forth and bizarre, I can't blame the FO.  

Of coarse it wouldnt compare well hes a rookie.  But he made some great plays this year while under pressure so why dont you look it up and let us know.  Although our Oline is probably among the worst in the league so hevwas almost always under pressure.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

No. I'll take to the internet and offer my unsolicited opinion that it's time for a change. You would likely be grasping at straws for the latest excuse du jour. That's kind of the point of this very message board; an opportunity for fans to voice views that mean virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things.

My hope is that we're talking about results this time next year and not excuses OR firings.

I dont think those are straws.  I tend to think they are obvious and cant see how more people dont see it.

12 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

For all the complainers that want McBeane gone, have you thought about where we would be if we still had our two Pro-Bowl Olineman.  

One would likely be on IR and potentially unable to ever walk, the other advocating cutting off someone on the team's head for research.

Are we really STILL going here?

12 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well..if this theory is true then there’s no reason to focus on anything other than the OLine in 2019. The rest of the many, many offensive problems (WR, TE, RB, and QB) were all self inflicted wounds by this Front Office and Coaching staff.

That makes it sound like neglect, when I feel it’s more insufficient resources. Two very different things. 

38 minutes ago, Heitz said:

One would likely be on IR and potentially unable to ever walk, the other advocating cutting off someone on the team's head for research.

Are we really STILL going here?

You dont get the point.  I guess I should have said in good health for those who are either trolls or not as gifted at figuring things out as others.  I hope that was a non offensive way of putting it I wouldnt want someone to feel I was putting them down.  Im not calling you an idiot or anything you just need to think about what the point that is being made may be.  Im starting to think this sight needs a crayon app.

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not true at all. They could have gone after Andrew Norwell instead of paying the money they did for Star and/or Trent Murphy. 

You might want to look at the dates. the same day the Bills restructure Ritchie's contract for his final year, Norwell signs with the Jaguars for Huge Money. Ritchie didn't ask for his release from Buffalo until April 15th. At the time Buffalo signed Star and Murphy, which was in March, there was no need to sign a guard. They thought they had Ritchie for 1 more year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DRA3196 said:

You might want to look at the dates. the same day the Bills restructure Ritchie's contract for his final year, Norwell signs with the Jaguars for Huge Money. Ritchie didn't ask for his release from Buffalo until April 15th. At the time Buffalo signed Star and Murphy, which was in March, there was no need to sign a guard. They thought they had Ritchie for 1 more year.

Good point, but the name is Richie.  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You dont get the point.  I guess I should have said in good health for those who are either trolls or not as gifted at figuring things out as others.  I hope that was a non offensive way of putting it I wouldnt want someone to feel I was putting them down.  Im not calling you an idiot or anything you just need to think about what the point that is being made may be.  Im starting to think this sight needs a crayon app.

?  Dude, step away from the keyboard and calm down. Control yourself. This is not a good look. 

• Haha (+1) 1

We'd have been better.  Obviously.  Their loss shows the dearth of true offensive line talent in the league.  And lack of good coaching.  Guys from college and one read shotgun offenses don't learn the nuances of run blocking especially.  

We have a promising young QB that needs a run game and better pass protection.  I hope they take some cap $$ and use it on O linemen in free agency.  Maybe Paradis to solidify the interior at C and to tutor younger guys.  Another G at least, maybe a RT.  Have to trust their pro scouts to find guys ready to step up.  Or if they see a stud O linemen when they pick in round one, get him.

Also they need to really think about Castillo.  I assume Daboll has told him what blocking schemes and fits he needs for his offense.  Can Castillo teach that?   I'm not confident.

• Like (+1) 1