Cam Newton Expected to Be Shut Down for the Season Due to a Throwing Shoulder Injury

26CornerBlitz

11 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Look out Alvin Kamara.

My fantasy roster:

Goff / Cam (2 QB league)

Kamara / Aaron Jones / Matt Breida

Julio / Odell / AJ Green / Josh Gordon

Gronk / Greg Olsen

Literally everyone but Kamara has suffered a significant injury or been completely ineffective or had an addiction issue relapse.

Julio’s always hurt but always answers the bell and puts up numbers.

8 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Worthwhile response. Amazing they haven't listed what the injury is and there are no rumors, right?  Torn pec?  Torn rotator cuff?  Strained back?  Or is it like the Super Bowl where he hurt his ***** and his mental game is off?  I think whatever it is - it's psychosomatic. Sure, they'll do a surgery, clean out some debris and whatnot but I truly doubt that this is a truly real situation he can't overcome with toughness 

It's truly amazing. What are your thoughts on Alex Smith. Probably faking it. If he was tough he'd play. Milking all that money. You are a fascinating person.

Btw Panthers fans..  um.. disagree with you.

They actually REALLY don't like your take.. you're literally talking about the best Quarterback in their franchise history. Our Jim Kelly to them.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

11 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Yes they waited until they had a playoff odds 2% chance and play their real superstar who's proven to play real MVP level football

Good god they're stupid. 

YES IT'S FOOLISHNESS. Btw he's hurt. He didn't just get permanently disabled. Please oh please cite me where Cam has been a head case. I'm begging. Give me one thing.

They played him at 40% on the slimmest chances they make the playoffs probably because 40% Cam is better than ... Who again?

10 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Last I checked he still has a career 

9 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

It's truly amazing. What are your thoughts on Alex Smith. Probably faking it. If he was tough he'd play. Milking all that money. You are a fascinating person.

Btw Panthers fans..  um.. disagree with you.

They actually REALLY don't like your take.. you're literally talking about the best Quarterback in their franchise history. Our Jim Kelly to them.

*Yawn*

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Cam’s Rookie year - 60%, 4,051 yards, 7.8 ypa, 21 tds, 84.5 qb rating, 706 rushing yards, 14 tds.  What a bum!!!

Yes, Newton has had a couple really good years (and his year at Auburn was possibly the best in college football history.)  But the rest of his career has been pretty disappointing and he frequently says and does knuckleheaded things that you don’t want your franchise QB doing.  

As talented as he is, Cam is definitely not in the top tier of QBs in the league right now.  I would put him in the Dalton Stafford category of “too good to get rid of, but not good enough to make you a consistent contender.” 

I will be disappointed if Allen doesn’t have a better career than Newton.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Jesus, i cant tell if this thread is about cam newton or josh allen. It says can newton, nut i feel like ive read this all before in other threads lol. Kinda weird

Welcome to seemingly every thread on TSW whether it's born that way or not.  :)

On 12/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, Seoul_panther said:

This must be how Bills fans feel when people trot out the same old cliches about Allen. As a Panther fan who has watched the games I can tell you he had a completion percentage of almost 70% going into week 8. He was having the best season of his career statistically. Then the injury began to have a noticeable effect on his play. Not sure what you mean by the head case and focus comments but that is a standard accusation of Cam haters.

Boyst lives in Carolina.  He's been very consistent in his take on Newton, which is fine.  He sees what he sees.

From what I saw, I felt in the first half of the season when the Panthers were 6-2, this was the year Newton had it all together.  Not just chucking the ball around, making better decisions. 

It's really just been the last 3 games, starting with Tampa Bay, where it's been like "something is wrong here".  Detroit and Seattle were tough losses.

The thing that bothers me most about Cam is whether Beane sees CAR as a model for how to build a team, without enough investment in OL or WR.

18 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Newton blows.  It's reality.  2 good seasons with one being great where he had a HOF TE and one of the best OL's assembled this decade.

For his price and for the shortness of his career I am just not that impressed 

Now this is a take.  Most QB need a very good OL and at least one HOF-caliber WR or TE to achieve their best. 

Only a very very few QB can thrive with a sieve for OL and no one to throw to.

Pay attention, Beane!

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Boyst lives in Carolina.  He's been very consistent in his take on Newton, which is fine.  He sees what he sees.

From what I saw, I felt in the first half of the season when the Panthers were 6-2, this was the year Newton had it all together.  Not just chucking the ball around, making better decisions. 

It's really just been the last 3 games, starting with Tampa Bay, where it's been like "something is wrong here".  Detroit and Seattle were tough losses.

The thing that bothers me most about Cam is whether Beane sees CAR as a model for how to build a team, without enough investment in OL or WR.

Now this is a take.  Most QB need a very good OL and at least one HOF-caliber WR or TE to achieve their best. 

Only a very very few QB can thrive with a sieve for OL and no one to throw to.

Pay attention, Beane!

Let's start with getting that Alabama tackle, let's find a plug n play OG/OC depth player just in case and spend another top 3 round pick on BPA OL

5 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Let's start with getting that Alabama tackle, let's find a plug n play OG/OC depth player just in case and spend another top 3 round pick on BPA OL

Cam Newton is, and always has been, elite and you know it.  You're just made because he has a better kitty game than you!

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Cam Newton is, and always has been, elite and you know it.  You're just made because he has a better kitty game than you!

He's spent half his career not even being a top 12 QB.  ??‍♂️

Still find it odd that SuperKitty hasn't had his injury disclosed. Just a "shoulder injury."

11 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Still find this laughable.  I am not exaggerating when I say half the fans I know want to move on from Newton and did prior to last season. Many don't hold him that highly acclaimed that the rest of the league does - but, hey, I just live here with a bunch of knucklehead Panther fans who must not know anything.

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Still find it odd that SuperKitty hasn't had his injury disclosed. Just a "shoulder injury."

He'll end up with a gold jacket.

Just now, Boyst62 said:

Double or nothing on the growler you still owe me for him loosing the super bowl?

I don't recall that bet!  Not saying you're lying ... I just don't recall.  

You're on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

He has three seasons where he finished in the top 10 for AV (all players at all positions), finishing 2nd, 5th, and 8th (2015, 2011, and 2013). He was also the starting all-pro (not pro bowl; there's a huge difference) qb one season (2015). And of course he received 48 out of 50 first place votes for the MVP award in 2015.  That makes him a very good qb in my book, and it's worth noting he was on course for his best season ever before he got hurt mid-season this year.  Shoulder injuries are a bad thing; I hope he recovers. He's an exciting player who is fun to watch, unlike a lot of robo-QBs out there (e.g., Kirk Cousins, Tannehill, etc.).

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Still find this laughable.  I am not exaggerating when I say half the fans I know want to move on from Newton and did prior to last season. Many don't hold him that highly acclaimed that the rest of the league does - but, hey, I just live here with a bunch of knucklehead Panther fans who must not know anything.

Don’t you leave in rural NC?  Yeah, I’m not shocked they don’t like Cam there.  In my time in Charlotte, he was beloved and talked about being the greatest Panther of all time.

i wonder why they view him so differently?  ?

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He has three seasons where he finished in the top 10 for AV (all players at all positions), finishing 2nd, 5th, and 8th (2015, 2011, and 2013). He was also the starting all-pro (not pro bowl; there's a huge difference) qb one season (2015). And of course he received 48 out of 50 first place votes for the MVP award in 2015. 

Even more amazing, he was able to win MVP without the great Kelvin Benjamin! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Totally different era.  At any rate, Kelly was about toughness and winning, not statistics.  He was a gamer, a great team leader and a true franchise QB; Cam is none of those things. 

Just now, mannc said:

Totally different era.  At any rate, Kelly was about toughness and winning, not statistics.  He was a gamer, a great team leader and a true franchise QB; Cam is none of those things. 

Haha.  Even though Cam has won a MVP and is on pace to have a better career than Kelly, he is not a true franchise qb.  Excellent point. 

Im not even bashing Kelly.  But Newton is a good QB. I can’t believe people even doubt this.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha.  Even though Cam has won a MVP and is on pace to have a better career than Kelly, he is not a true franchise qb.  Excellent point. 

Im not even bashing Kelly.  But Newton is a good QB. I can’t believe people even doubt this.

I agree that he’s good, too good to get rid of, but I don’t believe he’s in the top echelon of QBs in the league,I don’t think he’s much of a leader, and I don’t think he’ll ever take Carolina to the promised land.  I have higher hopes for our boy, JA.

28 minutes ago, mannc said:

I agree that he’s good, too good to get rid of, but I don’t believe he’s in the top echelon of QBs in the league,I don’t think he’s much of a leader, and I don’t think he’ll ever take Carolina to the promised land.  I have higher hopes for our boy, JA.

Well, I think you’re completely wrong respectfully.  He has been dominant on every level, won multiple national championships, and been a MVP/ Heisman.  If Allen is better than Newton, he is a HOFer.  Personally, I think that is crazy but I will settle for Allen being 80% as good and that will be a good career.

its also funny to hear people bash Cam as a leader.  You might want to do some research on Jim Kelly. Refused to come here, caused the bickering Bills that almost ruined the SB teams before that started, and has a bunch of off field issues.  He’s grew up but Cam is a saint compared to Kelly.  But hey, let’s ignore all that since he’s our guy.

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of fans don't like Cam Newton because he bucked the trend and stood for the national anthem condemning those that don't. I'll leave the politics at that.

He seems like a feisty young man but his arm looks really weak this season. Not sure what's going on. They don't have a top tier receiving core, but the OL is rock solid and Christen McCaffrey is a superstar in the making. Really troubling downturn here. Hope the man can pull it together for the good of Carolina fans(Unless they play my Buffalo Bills of course)!

10 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

A lot of fans don't like Cam Newton because he bucked the trend and stood for the national anthem condemning those that don't. I'll leave the politics at that.

He seems like a feisty young man but his arm looks really weak this season. Not sure what's going on. They don't have a top tier receiving core, but the OL is rock solid and Christen McCaffrey is a superstar in the making. Really troubling downturn here. Hope the man can pull it together for the good of Carolina fans(Unless they play my Buffalo Bills of course)!

He had shoulder surgery and probably came back too early.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well, I think you’re completely wrong respectfully.  He has been dominant on every level, won multiple national championships, and been a MVP/ Heisman.  If Allen is better than Newton, he is a HOFer.  Personally, I think that is crazy but I will settle for Allen being 80% as good and that will be a good career.

its also funny to hear people bash Cam as a leader.  You might want to do some research on Jim Kelly. Refused to come here, caused the bickering Bills that almost ruined the SB teams before that started, and has a bunch of off field issues.  He’s grew up but Cam is a saint compared to Kelly.  But hey, let’s ignore all that since he’s our guy.

Newton has one great year (2015) and the rest have been mediocre to good. 

Let's compare him to Russell Wilson, a true franchise QB, a guy who came into the league one year later than Cam, and has played for a similar team--defense-oriented, not a lot of weapons.  Newton hasn't had a 4000 yard passing season since his rookie year; he's averaging 7.3 yards per attempt for his career--with under 7 for 2016 and 2017--and his career TD/Int ratio is only 1.7.  Wilson's career average is 7.8 YPA, with a TD/Int ratio of 3.1.  Wilson's QBR has been consistently higher than Newton's and his team has won a Super Bowl. Their rushing stats are similar.  Measured against a real franchise QB, Newton comes up short.  He's a very talented QB whose performance for the most part has failed to measure up to best QBs in the game.  He's still young though (for a QB) and he certainly could end up having a great career, but he has not been great so far.        

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He had shoulder surgery and probably came back too early.  

That makes a world of sense because there's been very little zip on his passes. Came into the league with a very strong arm and I've seen that from him his entire career until recently. Not the most accurate passer, but he's always had the zip.

Edited by BillsSB2020

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Don’t you leave in rural NC?  Yeah, I’m not shocked they don’t like Cam there.  In my time in Charlotte, he was beloved and talked about being the greatest Panther of all time.

Hey look everyone!  We know what he is saying but he isn't saying it!  Look at that virtue!  Look at how he can so boldly call out a fraction of the population at large without one caveat of accountability!  Look at how he proclaims to recognize the downfall of others and he might even dare proselytize his holy divine sanctimonious opinion on those who he just simply disagrees with!

Look everyone!  Look at him!  Wow!

Edit:. Anyone who lived or lives in Charlotte knows the order of greatest Panthers goes about like this:

1) Sam Mills

2) Steve Smith

3) Greg Olsen

Somewhere later newton.

35 minutes ago, mannc said:

Newton has one great year (2015) and the rest have been mediocre to good. 

Let's compare him to Russell Wilson, a true franchise QB, a guy who came into the league one year later than Cam, and has played for a similar team--defense-oriented, not a lot of weapons.  Newton hasn't had a 4000 yard passing season since his rookie year; he's averaging 7.3 yards per attempt for his career--with under 7 for 2016 and 2017--and his career TD/Int ratio is only 1.7.  Wilson's career average is 7.8 YPA, with a TD/Int ratio of 3.1.  Wilson's QBR has been consistently higher than Newton's and his team has won a Super Bowl. Their rushing stats are similar.  Measured against a real franchise QB, Newton comes up short.  He's a very talented QB whose performance for the most part has failed to measure up to best QBs in the game.  He's still young though (for a QB) and he certainly could end up having a great career, but he has not been great so far.        

All of these facts are mitigated because of where you live! And we know folks in that area just don't like Newton because they come from that area!??‍♂️

Edited by Boyst62

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Hey look everyone!  We know what he is saying but he isn't saying it!  Look at that virtue!  Look at how he can so boldly call out a fraction of the population at large without one caveat of accountability!  Look at how he proclaims to recognize the downfall of others and he might even dare proselytize his holy divine sanctimonious opinion on those who he just simply disagrees with!

Look everyone!  Look at him!  Wow!

Edit:. Anyone who lived or lives in Charlotte knows the order of greatest Panthers goes about like this:

1) Sam Mills

2) Steve Smith

3) Greg Olsen

Somewhere later newton.

All of these facts are mitigated because of where you live! And we know folks in that area just don't like Newton because they come from that area!??‍♂️

Haha, you know the truth.  And yup Olsen (a very good TE but he never had a 1,000 before a certain Qb) is better than their franchise leading passer.  Haha!!! Just admit your biases because gave you a wedgie at Whiskey River and stole your lady.  Trust me, I hate Peerless Price for similar reasons.

And I just checked it out. Sam Mills played 3 seasons for the Panthers.  Dear lord do you reach hard!

Edited by C.Biscuit97

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh this is rich. Comparing a QB in the 90s when men played football vs the pussies that play today?  Look at elway, kosar, Marino, favre even... their stats have a lot more INT's and all those fancy stats. But if you can watch football with a talented, educated and disciplined eye you actually see what's good football and bad football.

The biggest case against Newton is when he pulls the ball down instead of throwing the all because he lacks ability to find the windows and reads be needs to be that would make him so much better. Skills Flacco, Manning, Stafford, Goff and Ryan have and he severely lacks.

And one thing I am laughing about because it's somewhat amazing. He's consistently been the 3rd best QB in his division which is in fact saying something.  Ryan and Brees are much better and despite the argument I once made against NoSaint 4 years ago Brees is a HOF. Newton doesn't deserve it but will because of his Fame, personality and the fact that if he isn't elected the whole voting board must be from rural NC.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, you know the truth.  And yup Olsen (a very good TE but he never had a 1,000 before a certain Qb) is better than their franchise leading passer.  Haha!!! Just admit your biases because gave you a wedgie at Whiskey River and stole your lady.  Trust me, I hate Peerless Price for similar reasons.

I know no such truth when I associate more with folks of an entire different culture on many levels. I live 20 minutes from Winston-Salem, 30 from GSO and an hour from CLT. The anti newton panther fans are not the majority but there are many many who dislike him and believe he is not the answer at QB - that's the majority.

And the few times I've been near Newton don't count for me to have judgement but I can give reference to mutual friends and associates of both he and I that can say some stuffs.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No Dan Morgan or Luke Kuechley?

The kuechly thing is funny. They love him but he's soft, basically.  Dan Morgan for the average Panther fan was before their time because most Panther fans didn't realize the Panthers played before 2013.

Keuchly is the best linebacker in the league and all that jazz but the defense gives up points and let's teams back in the game is always the argument. 

They only know Mills because he has a statue.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Morgan played 59 games in 7 seasons.  I get the LK one but if Allen and Edwards have similar careers to the Carolina ones, who is considered the more valuable player?

Why does everyone forget the lynchpin of the D with Thomas Davis?

Just now, Boyst62 said:

I know no such truth when I associate more with folks of an entire different culture on many levels. I live 20 minutes from Winston-Salem, 30 from GSO and an hour from CLT. The anti newton panther fans are not the majority but there are many many who dislike him and believe he is not the answer at QB - that's the majority.

And the few times I've been near Newton don't count for me to have judgement but I can give reference to mutual friends and associates of both he and I that can say some stuffs.

Well if they aren’t racist, they’re stupid.  Of course, I met a bunch of Carolina people who didn’t even know they have a nhl team.  Charlotte is a terrible pro sports town. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would think as a novice from the outside looking in folks would love Cam Newton in rural North Carolina for his anti-Kaepernick stance but what the heck do I know about North Carolina. Never been there.

Wonder if the Panthers want Derek Anderson back?

5 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I would think as a novice from the outside looking in folks would love Cam Newton in rural North Carolina for his anti-Kaepernick stance but what the heck do I know about North Carolina. Never been there.

Wonder if the Panthers want Derek Anderson back?

Most of the world has forgot and moved on about Kaepernick.

And I don't even know or care of Newton's thoughts regarding it.  But, yeah, thanks for your virtue. It means a lot. 

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The kuechly thing is funny. They love him but he's soft, basically.  Dan Morgan for the average Panther fan was before their time because most Panther fans didn't realize the Panthers played before 2013.

Keuchly is the best linebacker in the league and all that jazz but the defense gives up points and let's teams back in the game is always the argument. 

They only know Mills because he has a statue.

I actually kind of miss the Dan Morgan, Stephen Davis, Deshaun Foster, Mike Rucker & Julius Peppers days

Just now, Boyst62 said:

Most of the world has forgot and moved on about Kaepernick.

And I don't even know or care of Newton's thoughts regarding it.  But, yeah, thanks for your virtue. It means a lot. 

Cam Newton is a patriot in my book for his stance on the anthem by standing when others bemoaned him for it, but that's for a different venue.

Like I said, don't know much about North Carolina as my travels have rarely taken me outside of the midwest.