So I put in an offer on a house today

Kirby Jackson

17 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a total LAMP post but I’m excited. I’m recently single (after 10 years) and it’s something that I’ve been thinking about. This will (hopefully) be my first house. I will find out by tomorrow.

Congrats!

I'll be in Nola new years eve weekend and staying a 10 min walk from the Bills bar.  If you're hanging out for the game celebratory shot on me.

41 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Congrats!

I'll be in Nola new years eve weekend and staying a 10 min walk from the Bills bar.  If you're hanging out for the game celebratory shot on me.

I’ll actually be at the game. Fat Harry’s is a pretty good time for the game but the crowd may be a little sparse. 

18 hours ago, teef said:

great work kirby!  congrats.  what a great house for a young, single guy.  it has everything you need, no updates needed, nice back yard, etc.  i'm a big fan of building equity, and this is a winner.  tomorrow i sign on a business loan to finally build my own building, (this is my LAMP).  i was sick of renting a space that didn't work, so i'm building a building with a lab so i pay myself.  the debt is a kick in the nuts at first, but after 2-3 years, life settles, it becomes easier.  i'll sell it or give it to my kids.  i'm done renting or leasing anything.  

How many kids you at these days?

Haven’t seen a famous Teef “What are you guys up to this weekend...by the way I’m at the airport and my wife is pregnant” thread in a while.

9 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So I take it the employer shenanigans are a thing of the past

Yeah, we sold to Marsh in October. They gave us all a bunch of money to stay (as a key producer bonus) and then big bonuses at 24 and 36 months as part of the earn out. Basically, the sale made our non-competes null and void so they didn’t want our clients to walk out the door and lower the value that they were getting.

It’s worked out so far but after 2 and a half months we are starting to see little bits of “Corporate America.” I’m going to let these 3 years play out re-evaluate. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, we sold to Marsh in October. They gave us all a bunch of money to stay (as a key producer bonus) and then big bonuses at 24 and 36 months as part of the earn out. Basically, the sale made our non-competes null and void so they didn’t want our clients to walk out the door and lower the value that they were getting.

It’s worked out so far but after 2 and a half months we are starting to see little bits of “Corporate America.” I’m going to let these 3 years play out re-evaluate. 

Well, I hope you're blessed in this new environment, bud!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

How many kids you at these days?

Haven’t seen a famous Teef “What are you guys up to this weekend...by the way I’m at the airport and my wife is pregnant” thread in a while.

we hit the deuce.  we have a 3 yr old girl and a 7 month old boy.  at 41 years old, i'm done.  i know you have a 4-5 year old son, but did you guys have anymore?

2 minutes ago, teef said:

we hit the deuce.  we have a 3 yr old girl and a 7 month old boy.  at 41 years old, i'm done.  i know you have a 4-5 year old son, but did you guys have anymore?

Right on ole pal o mine.

We have just the one. Hes already better at football than Likei’ve pretends to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Right on ole pal o mine.

We have just the one. Hes already better at football than Likei’ve pretends to be.

we knew that would be the case though.  i have to text likei've.  i haven't had beers with him in a while.

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

If you are not an expert at all things Houses, get a house inspection.  It can be money very well spent.

Congrats Kirby.

I agree with Greybeard. My inspector found problem in violation of building codes and it needed to be fixed before it could be sold by law despite being sold "as is".

I used inspection as leverage to get the bank to pay for other work on house but I got to choose the contractors rather than the cheapest ones the bank was using.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Congrats Kirby.

I agree with Greybeard. My inspector found problem in violation of building codes and it needed to be fixed before it could be sold by law despite being sold "as is".

I used inspection as leverage to get the bank to pay for other work on house but I got to choose the contractors rather than the cheapest ones the bank was using.

We bought a 10 year old townhouse to rent to our son about 5 months ago and of course we got an inspection. We had the items noted addressed and closed on time. Since then......the pendant lights in the kitchen stopped working, the dryer stopped drying, the pump for the jetted tub had to be replaced, we waited 3 months to get the part needed to make the oven work again, we found the seller had not disclosed a hole cut in the media room carpet beneath the couch where his wife spilled the coals from the hookah (that $#@& still owes us $1,400 we will never see),  one toilet had to be rebuilt, the disposal has been replaced, the big tree in the front yard died and had to be removed, we can’t get the fireplace to light but nobody is available to service it until the spring....and just last week we had to replace an HVAC unit for $7,500.  And I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff. 

I’d like to welcome @Kirby Jackson to homeownership!

Be glad you bought new!  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, it was a lot!! It was all of my banking, tax returns, w-2’s, investments, pay stubs, license, etc...I sent it all and then shredded it.

I'm pretty sure his point was that you (generic you referring to mortgage applicants) have to send all this data over unsecured email.  And, that is crazy.

Good luck with your new home! ? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Man, sign me up for a house like that whenever the time comes for me to actually buy one. Good luck, OP, hope everything works out.

No kidding, great looking place! 

We are getting close to the deadline, and no news is concerning me. Hope it works out, and know it’s not the only house out there. Keep us up to date!