The Trump Shutdown

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The point, you moron, is that the decision on DACA, which Trump tried to end a year ago, is still churning its way through the courts.

I'm a moron for not understanding a tangent you brought up out of the blue that no one was discussing in this thread? You're terrible at this. 

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The transgender and Muslims bans took about two years until the injunctions were lifted/

You're behind in your news consumption... er, I mean programming. The transgender ban was just upheld. 

If Trump declared a national emergency, it's going to have an injunction so fast your spin will spin. (sadly, not enough to get it out of your ass) And it will, almost without doubt, be blocked, as A) the situation is absolutely not an emergency and B) it's a gross abuse of executive power.

Legally, you're woefully incorrect about A and B. It'll be tried in court... but again you haven't been paying attention to what Trump's been doing in the courts for two years because you're too busy chasing "Trump Russia" ghosts and calling people white nationalists who dare to think for themselves. 

You're a good little NPC. Never thinking for yourself. Always getting facts wrong.

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

In short, the "national emergency" is the fig leaf to the base to try to cover up how much he failed. When it gets blocked, Trump gets to complain about "activist judges", and use the wall again in his rallying cry.

False.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point, you moron, is that the decision on DACA, which Trump tried to end a year ago, is still churning its way through the courts.

The transgender and Muslims bans took about two years until the injunctions were lifted.

If Trump declared a national emergency, it's going to have an injunction so fast your spin will spin. (sadly, not enough to get it out of your ass) And it will, almost without doubt, be blocked, as A) the situation is absolutely not an emergency and B) it's a gross abuse of executive power. 

In short, the "national emergency" is the fig leaf to the base to try to cover up how much he failed. When it gets blocked, Trump gets to complain about "activist judges", and use the wall again in his rallying cry.

That would be interesting, considering the half-dozen times Obama abused "national emergency" powers on situations that weren't an emergency, without injunctions or even complaints.  Never saw the human rights sanctions against Burundi go to court, did you?

Which isn't to say you're wrong.  Just that you're pushing an egregious double standard.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

OK, I could not listen as I am out of the country with the world's slowest internet connection...

This temporary opening...   Is it so people do not get RIF-ed? A bargaining of ... if A does not happen in 3 weeks, B will (B being bad)? Is a resolution close? Anyone mind giving me the Reader's Digest version of President Trump's news conference? 

He used the presser to make his case (again) as to why a wall is needed, that was the bulk of it. He hit on human trafficking, crime, and illegal immigration to make those points. It's a temporary funding bill (but they all are), with a bi-partisan panel formed to negotiate border security. 

Trump will get to give the SOTU from the Congressional floor, the networks will be forced to cover it. He'll have his guests there that will all be angel moms and trafficking victims. He'll make a big speech on it all and then, if the new panel is at a standstill (which they likely will be), he'll order a National Emergency to get his funding. 

The wall is already being built and refurbished - and was while the shutdown was happening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That would be interesting, considering the half-dozen times Obama abused "national emergency" powers on situations that weren't an emergency, without injunctions or even complaints.  Never saw the human rights sanctions against Burundi go to court, did you?

Which isn't to say you're wrong.  Just that you're pushing an egregious double standard.

No one ever complained about Obama's actions? Ok! 

34 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The transgender and Muslims bans took about two years until the injunctions were lifted.

Liberal happiness is confusing. If the Bills win a Super Bowl,  I'm worried you will celebrate by going on a multi-state killing spree. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Art of the Deal.  He's getting bad advice. 

I don't know about that. Could be a bad decision, time will tell, but he's often been a couple steps ahead on issues.  I'm thinking this is his call, and he'll live with the consequences.  

In the calm light of day, painting the dems as disinterested in protecting ordinary Americans (and those victimzed on the other side of the border) worked spectacularly well for him.  I'll give him another month. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Art of the Deal.  He's getting bad advice. 

No, it's all about the federal judges. If one hadn't ruled a year ago against Trump rescinding one of the Obama era rules (not even an Executive Order) unconstitutionally we wouldn't be in this place. Leftist federal judges are being phased out. The war was won on 11-8-16, the left just doesn't know it yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

The courts are not going to get involved in debating the President exercising emergency powers.  No judge wants their name attached to that.  

I'm sure the Democrats will want them to but litigating and debating those powers has long reaching, substantive consequences for Presidents going forward.

Democrats are so near-sighted.  I wonder if they realize life goes on past the Trump Presidency.  

• Like (+1) 1

Meh...........we'll see

A 3 week funding deal is good. This gets workers paid, he can do a State of the Union where he changes the narrative and Democrats get the pressure now. They said they’d negotiate after the shutdown so they have 3 weeks to agree on a deal with wall funding or it’s their shutdown.

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

:lol:

They lied.  Pelosi never negotiates after she gets what she wants.

She will dictate the terms of Trump's surrender :) 

What an azz whipping! Trump's seriously damaged now. Six more years?? Lol!!  

He might even see a primary challenger 

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

She will dictate the terms of Trump's surrender :) 

What an azz whipping! Trump's seriously damaged now. Six more years?? Lol!!  

He might even see a primary challenger 

how much of your existential right to exist relies on any of this actually happening?