The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Republican senators clashed with one another and confronted Vice President Pence inside a private luncheon on Thursday, as anger hit a boiling point over the longest government shutdown in history.

“This is your fault,” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) told Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) at one point, according to two Republicans who attended the lunch and witnessed the exchange.

“Are you suggesting I’m enjoying this?” McConnell snapped back, according to the people who attended the lunch.

Also during the lunch, McConnell made clear to Pence and others in the room that the shutdown was not his idea and was not working. According to Republicans familiar with his comments, he quoted a favorite saying that he often uses to express his displeasure with government shutdowns: “There is no education in the second kick of a mule.”

McConnell started using that saying after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days and ended after the public largely blamed Republicans.

That specific exchange was first reported by the Hill newspaper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/this-is-your-fault-gop-senators-clash-over-shutdown-inside-private-luncheon/2019/01/24/cde0ca22-2045-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html?utm_term=.d0810249b7fb

Shutdown Exposes Another Government Agency Ripe For Privatization

Original Article

As the partial government shutdown drags on, the nation´s air traffic controllers warn that it´s putting the safety of air travel at risk. Here´s a solution: Privatize the air traffic control system. In a statement released along with pilots´ and flight attendants´ unions, the National Air Traffic Controllers Association says that "air safety environment … is deteriorating by the day."

CRACKS IN THE BLUE WALL: Growing Number of Dems Buck Pelosi on Federal Worker Pay.

The problem with the shutdown for the Democrats is that it hits a Democratic constituency — federal workers — harder than anyone else.

Edited by B-Man

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

“Larry Kudlow Snaps at Reporter: Federal Workers are ‘Volunteering’ to Work Because of Their ‘Allegiance’ to Trump.”

https://www.mediaite.com/uncategorized/larry-kudlow-snaps-at-reporter-federal-workers-are-volunteering-to-work-because-of-their-allegiance-to-trump/

Image result for rolls eyes gif

who are you and what have you done with Tibs? 

Now that the Senate has shot down President Donald Trump’s compromise offer to end the month-long government shutdown, White House officials aren’t sure of their next move.

But they do know one thing: they’re losing, and they want to cut a deal.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/24/trump-white-house-losing-shutdown-fight-1125033

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

So... Trump will open the government, keep the SOTU on track for Tuesday...

And a National Emergency will be declared sometime before or right after the SOTU. 

winning.jpeg

OFFICIAL: 1:30 EST Rose Garden announcement

How is that repeal of DACA going?

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

No one is mentioning that we are reopening the government without a wall?

?

Trump got spanked. Hard. I thought he had to go to Moscow for that.

You're so programmed you cannot even read what's been written before you decided to post. 

Sad. 

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

How is that repeal of DACA going?

WTF are you even talking about? When did I call for the repeal of DACA? 

You're unhinged. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

So... Trump will open the government, keep the SOTU on track for Tuesday...

And a National Emergency will be declared sometime before or right after the SOTU. 

winning.jpeg

OFFICIAL: 1:30 EST Rose Garden announcement

How is closing the government down to get funding for a wall, and the opening thing government without a wall a win?  Sincerely?

the whole national emergency plan will get wrecked by courts...

this whole thing has has been a joke by both sides. Saying Mexico was going to pay for the wall was a joke.  Being willing to shut down the government for over a month and harm lives was a joke.  And both sides refusing to strike a compromise (fund some walls) once there was a shutdown was a joke.

And this whole thing isn’t about winning and losing, what’s the matter with all of you?  If it opens with a wall, who cares if trump won.  If it doesn’t, who cares dems won.  The country has lost over this stupid shutdown.

Edited by Crayola64
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Most of us have learned to wait til the actual announcement, rather than listen to the braying of the media.

The only interesting 'rumor' that I read was that the cabinet was called to the WH................for a temporary re-opening ?

Just now, Crayola64 said:

How is closing the government down to get funding for a wall, and the opening thing government without a wall a win?  Sincerely?

You'll see in the next week and a half. 

the whole national emergency plan will get wrecked by courts...

It won't. 

Saying Mexico was going to pay for the wall was a joke. 

That no one took seriously, let alone literally, but for Tibs and NPCinPhilly. 

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

Being willing to shut down the government for over a month and harm lives was a joke.  

You do not understand what was happening during the shut down. One day you might. 

2 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

And both sides refusing to strike a compromise (fund some walls) once there was a shutdown was a joke.

And the public was watching, and will remember. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

You'll see in the next week and a half. 

It won't. 

That no one took seriously, let alone literally, but for Tibs and NPCinPhilly. 

You do not understand what was happening during the shut down. One day you might. 

And the public was watching, and will remember. 

Great substance man and discussion.  Speaking in vague “I know but you don’t” terms is always a hallmark of a solid opinion.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Some things I cannot share without exposing sources. 

I for some reason thought you were one of several good posters here that you can have discussions with.  I can admit when I’m wrong.  At least you’re filed to the nonsensical meme-poster instead of the unhinged like the_dude.  

9 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

And this whole thing isn’t about winning and losing, what’s the matter with all of you?  If it opens with a wall, who cares if trump won.  If it doesn’t, who cares dems won.  The country has lost over this stupid shutdown.

It is very much about winning and losing. But the sides aren't what you're presuming them to be. This isn't about r v l or d v r or Trump v Pelosi. 

It's establishment v the people. 

• Like (+1) 3

It seems like all you nutjobs have forgotten one big thing. The makeup of federal judges has changed and will change even more in the next 2 years. The SCOTUS will most likely move to the right. Historically the left's fallback position has been the liberal courts. Because the left could do little legislatively they relied on their judges to muddy the waters and do their legislating for them. Well, those judges will soon be in a minority and to turn this country to the left you will need to do it the old fashioned way. You guys have won a battle or two but are in the process of losing the war. Good luck.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I for some reason thought you were one of several good posters here that you can have discussions with.  I can admit when I’m wrong.  At least you’re filed to the nonsensical meme-poster instead of the unhinged like the_dude.  

i would suggest you give the 10 day window DR has offered up before you look foolish.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I am. 

Well maybe try saying something more than essentially “you don’t know what you are talking about and maybe one day you will.”  It’s annoying.  But I’ve noticed you posting substance in other threads, so fair.

The Democrats made a promise to “compromise” and to “act in good faith” ...........................lol............

Experience tells me that you have been snookered, Mr. President

But, I guess this is a long game. We need to see what is going to happen over the next three weeks.

When it still doesn't happen, the media will still blame the Donald....:lol:

• Like (+1) 3

Well maybe try saying something more than essentially “you don’t know what you are talking about and maybe one day you will.”  It’s annoying.  But I’ve noticed you posting substance in other threads, so fair.

That comment wasn't meant as a "I know more than you do". It's a statement about the 60/40 rule in place. 

22 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You're so programmed you cannot even read what's been written before you decided to post. 

Sad. 

WTF are you even talking about? When did I call for the repeal of DACA? 

You're unhinged. 

The point, you moron, is that the decision on DACA, which Trump tried to end a year ago, is still churning its way through the courts.

The transgender and Muslims bans took about two years until the injunctions were lifted.

If Trump declared a national emergency, it's going to have an injunction so fast your spin will spin. (sadly, not enough to get it out of your ass) And it will, almost without doubt, be blocked, as A) the situation is absolutely not an emergency and B) it's a gross abuse of executive power. 

In short, the "national emergency" is the fig leaf to the base to try to cover up how much he failed. When it gets blocked, Trump gets to complain about "activist judges", and use the wall again in his rallying cry.

• Haha (+1) 1

OK, I could not listen as I am out of the country with the world's slowest internet connection...

This temporary opening...   Is it so people do not get RIF-ed? A bargaining of ... if A does not happen in 3 weeks, B will (B being bad)? Is a resolution close? Anyone mind giving me the Reader's Digest version of President Trump's news conference? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I know something of what DR has been doing the past few years, and what his sources do.

He's not being dismissive of yoh.  He actually has them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1