Ryan Talbot: Turning the Bills into a Contender via 2019 NFL Draft, Trade, and Free Agency

@RyanTalbotBills

Being Beane: Turning Bills into a Contender via 2019 NFL Draft, Trade, Free Agency

How to make Bills into instant contender this offseason

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer
Brandon Beane has the opportunity to turn the Buffalo Bills into a legitimate contender in the 2019 offseason.

Buffalo currently has 10 picks in the 2019 NFL Draft and Spotrac.com projects that the team will have over $90 million in cap space. How would we use these assets to turn the Bills into a powerhouse? We're glad you asked.

Laid out is a position-by-position breakdown of key players under contract for the team in 2019 and moves that we'd make in free agency, via trade and the draft to bolster positions if we were Bills GM. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Ryan Talbot: Turning Bills into a Contender via 2019 NFL Draft, Trade, and Free Agency
3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Gotta do better if youre a NFL writer.  If you want to talk about updating the team, at the very least include all the draft picks.  Dont think they will be that FA heavy.  

This doesn't address defense in the least.

-Draft Ed Oliver

Re-sign Jordan Phillips

Re-sign Lorenzo Alexander

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

-Draft Ed Oliver

Re-sign Jordan Phillips

Re-sign Lorenzo Alexander

....with 10 picks and FA $$$ in 2019, I think it is one of THE most pivotal years in the last decade or perhaps back to the Polian era for Bflo.....McBeane has assembled a staff of 17+,with many having served as exec level personnel guys all on Pegula's nickel....if, IF we are in a similar 4-8 position at this time NEXT year, there could be some genuine signs of concern.........but we'll lean on the "positive" for now............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Gotta do better if youre a NFL writer.  If you want to talk about updating the team, at the very least include all the draft picks.  Dont think they will be that FA heavy.  

Appreciate the response/constructive criticism. Most draft boards available are top-100 players right now. If draft experts don't have a full idea of where players will go, it's hard to do a full seven-round projection. That said, I addressed a few picks specifically and gave a general idea of how the others would be used. Here's a full look at how I'd use the picks:
Round 1: DT Ed Oliver
Round 2: WR Anthony Johnson
Round 3/4: A.J. Green trade
Round 4 (via Ragland): Guard depth
Round 5: LB behind Alexander
Round 5 (via McCarron trade): CB depth
Round 6: Quadree Ollison
Round 7: Tight end
Round 7 (via Seymour trade): BPA 

As for being free agent heavy, most of the players listed won't break the bank. Thanks for reading!

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, RyanTalbotBills said:

Appreciate the response/constructive criticism. Most draft boards available are top-100 players right now. If draft experts don't have a full idea of where players will go, it's hard to do a full seven-round projection. That said, I addressed a few picks specifically and gave a general idea of how the others would be used. Here's a full look at how I'd use the picks:

As for being free agent heavy, most of the players listed won't break the bank. Thanks for reading!

Pure class!

Nice article/good read, thanks for the follow up!!

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Rico said:

I don't think re-signing and starting John Miller is a good idea. :sick:

Fair critique, but the offensive line was significantly worse with Sirles starting last week. I feel if you have talent around Miller, he won't be nearly as much of a liability. Matt Paradis and Daryl Williams should realistically help whoever starts at right guard. Don't sleep on Ike Boettger getting a shot there either.

1 minute ago, Jpsredemption said:

Stopped reading once I saw trade for AJ Green. 

Any reason why you don't think a 31-year old wide receiver entering the final year of his contract wouldn't be available? Throw in the fact that the team will likely have a new head coach and I don't think it's as far-fetched as you believe. Appreciate you reading up to that point at least. 

• Like (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

...strictly opinion, but I don't see Beane as a "FA Big Splash" type......think he's more of a value shopper.....wouldn't surprise me if out of the 2019 FA $$$$ pool, he has sketched out spending "X" dollars in 2019 and the remaining "Y" dollars in 2020, which I believe he can do.....AND he already has a list of preliminary 2019 targets as well as POTENTIAL 2020 targets....think he is pretty measured in his approach, remaining committed to building through the draft.....if I remember correctly, the Steelers 2009 SB club consisted of 19 out of 22 starters who were acquired through the draft........

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

Any reason why you don't think a 31-year old wide receiver entering the final year of his contract wouldn't be available? Throw in the fact that the team will likely have a new head coach and I don't think it's as far-fetched as you believe. Appreciate you reading up to that point at least. 

Green has been a fantastic player who we could have and should have drafted out of Georgia.  I just don’t think he becomes available for that price and at 31, I’m not sure he’s worth it anymore.  

And I want no part of Ed Oliver in the first round.

15 minutes ago, RyanTalbotBills said:

Fair critique, but the offensive line was significantly worse with Sirles starting last week. I feel if you have talent around Miller, he won't be nearly as much of a liability. Matt Paradis and Daryl Williams should realistically help whoever starts at right guard. Don't sleep on Ike Boettger getting a shot there either.

On top of the fact Green has dealt with injury issues the past few years. He seems like he's on the downside of his career (maybe like Dez Bryant, sorta?). I could see the Bungles shipping his out for the right price.  

• Like (+1) 1

I can buy this! Green would be an outstanding addition. I think Stephon Diggs may also be an option and would be a better fit with Allen. My reasoning is that Diggs is better at improvising once the initial route breaks down. With Allen's mobility a receiver with Diggs skill set could make him nearly unstoppable. He would come at a heavy price but I think we could afford it. 

52 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Adding Ed Oliver and resigning Phillips doesn’t address defense at all?  LOL 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trade Rodgers for Allen

trade Thompson and Foster for Julio

trade Logan Thomas for Hunter Henry (coming off an injury so the price is down)

draft all o linemen

sign Clowney minimum 

hire Chan gailey as OC

boom

Boom the Bizzaro Bills?

I think I would pass on AJ Green at this point.  At 31 years old, you have to look at him as a bandaid.  Signing Tyrell Williams is intriguing though.  I don't mind most of the suggested moves, but there are a couple places on defense that need shoring up.  Lorax may or may not be here next season, but Buffalo needs to start thinkiing about the future at strong side linebacker.  They need to do the same at Edge rusher and DT.  Levi Wallace may turn out to be the answer at CB across from Tre White, but at this point, I think a little more insurance is called for.