Careful With Those DNA Tests!

Tiberius

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/sep/18/your-fathers-not-your-father-when-dna-tests-reveal-more-than-you-bargained-for

You might learn more than you bargained for! 

In bed one night six weeks later, they pulled up the results from AncestryDNA on the laptop. They were impressed by the news about Michèle’s husband, which mostly reflected what he had always been told about his family. Then they opened Michèle’s results. “The first thing that popped up is a pie chart, and one whole half was red and said ‘Italian'.' “I was dumbfounded. Like: ‘Well, that’s a huge mistake. They must have mixed mine up with someone else’s.’” She laughs, but you can hear it is hard-won. “My husband looks through it, then he says: ‘Honey, they didn’t make a mistake. This is you.’” That night, Michèle had her first ever anxiety attack.

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Fact is with all the invasions that have happened throughout humanity to all places on Earth the DNA was going to get mixed.  I've heard plenty of stories where some person is very disappointed that they are not what they thought they were.  A nephew of mine thought he had a lot of Italian blood to find out it is around 5 percent of his composition.  No doubt the result of the barbarians sweeping down into Italy as the Roman Empire was dying.  

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Fact is with all the invasions that have happened throughout humanity to all places on Earth the DNA was going to get mixed.  I've heard plenty of stories where some person is very disappointed that they are not what they thought they were.  A nephew of mine thought he had a lot of Italian blood to find out it is around 5 percent of his composition.  No doubt the result of the barbarians sweeping down into Italy as the Roman Empire was dying.  

Both my grandparents moved to the US from Sicily in the early 1900's

Parents were born in the 20's.

I think its safe to say I'm solidly a Sicilian 

That's what she gets for taking the Elizabeth Warren track: 

But Michèle was considering going back to study, and she had been told she had some Native American blood on her father’s side – maybe if she could say how much, she figured, she would be eligible for scholarships. 

• Haha (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

With all due respect Sicily had outsiders come in from other parts of the Mediterranean.  As it was with other parts of the world it just did not happen during the last few centuries in mass.  I'm sure that I would have several colors in my pie chart if I were to do a test.  I am part Irish via Scotland so the Scot primary DNA was diluted from that portion of the family remaining and intermingling in Ireland for a few centuries.  In the end it does not matter as we are what we are.  

58 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Well based on Rob's theory above, you're pretty solidly an African too.  Do you play basketball?

8 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Well based on Rob's theory above, you're pretty solidly an African too.  Do you play basketball?

A lot more than Africa on the Mediterranean and that was my point.  Could be Greek, Middle Eastern, African, even Asian.  Who knows and that is the point.  Not trying to crap on anybody's pride but the reality is often different than the passed down story in a lot of families.  Take the test and you will know for sure.  I would put my faith in science versus a story that may have been twisted to fit a fantasy or desire.  

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A lot more than Africa on the Mediterranean and that was my point.  Could be Greek, Middle Eastern, African, even Asian.  Who knows and that is the point.  Not trying to crap on anybody's pride but the reality is often different than the passed down story in a lot of families.  Take the test and you will know for sure.  I would put my faith in science versus a story that may have been twisted to fit a fantasy or desire.  

Oh I'm just poking what seems to be a common sore spot with eye-talians.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m a Viking and polack!

I'm guessing that means you need to take your shoes off to spell S-K-O-L?

7 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Oh I'm just poking what seems to be a common sore spot with eye-talians.

eye-talians is always pissed off to find out they is actually half-moulie.

• Haha (+1) 2

I'd like to try this, but I've heard the results aren't replicable, so if you send them two samples a month apart, you are likely to get two different sets of results. Also, as a half a ***** let me point out that people around the Mediterranean have been raiding, pillaging, conquering, trading and crawling all over each other like a box of hamsters for 10,000 years or more. Carthage was an African Empire founded by Asians (Phoenicians) then conquered by Europeans, and the Greeks conquered Egypt long before that. 

5 minutes ago, ocemur said:

I'd like to try this, but I've heard the results aren't replicable, so if you send them two samples a month apart, you are likely to get two different sets of results. Also, as a half a ***** let me point out that people around the Mediterranean have been raiding, pillaging, conquering, trading and crawling all over each other like a box of hamsters for 10,000 years or more. Carthage was an African Empire founded by Asians (Phoenicians) then conquered by Europeans, and the Greeks conquered Egypt long before that. 

Probably the percentages would vary some but I would like to think that there are certain absolutes.  That certain strains of DNA are present or not present.  I would still put more faith in a test than a family story.  I've seen many stories blown to pieces when the light is shined on certain aspects.