Why is the punter the holder?

NakedSquid

Can't have your backup QB practicing holding the ball for the kicker all through practice while the offense is practicing, and have him never get to throw or run plays.  Much more valuable to have your backup QB up to speed on the offense, than to be able to run a gadget play once a year with them.  Makes the most sense time-wise.

Probably because during practice the punter is the one other guy besides the kicker and the long snapper with nothing else to do, so have him hold.  Agreed using backup QB would give more options but for the couple times a year in may come into play, probably teams don't feel it's worth it.

For years wasn't Frank Reich the holder?

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Nope it's the punter for all teams in real life. 

You are thinking of Madden where the holder is the backup QB

not at all, I've watched games recently where it's the backup QB out there, as stated by the announcers

(beware of 100% dogmatic always/has to be statements in life)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Back in the day, Frank Reich was the holder. I remember this as a discussion point during the comeback game, as Houston had their punter as the holder, and when he bobbled the snap, he spazzed and Houston lost a FG opportunity. The announcer commented that Frank Reich, as Bills holder, had better hands, and also better ability to react to a busted play. Normally, the punter makes sense, as he and the kicker have more practice time together. However, with our unprecedented turnover at punter this year (4!!!), maybe having the stability of a backup QB would be better....uh based on how we've handled the backup QB position this year, never mind.

• Haha (+1) 1

Are they just keeping all the odd balls in one place so they can keep an eye on them?   ?

I get the backup QB gives options, but the point was made they need to be more with the offense. The punter is used to catching long snaps, he’s just doing it with different hand placement. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Are they just keeping all the odd balls in one place so they can keep an eye on them?   ?

I get the backup QB gives options, but the point was made they need to be more with the offense. The punter is used to catching long snaps, he’s just doing it with different hand placement. 

?This is always what crosses my mind, FG units are like the Island of Misfit Toys

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Probably because during practice the punter is the one other guy besides the kicker and the long snapper with nothing else to do, so have him hold.  Agreed using backup QB would give more options but for the couple times a year in may come into play, probably teams don't feel it's worth it.

For years wasn't Frank Reich the holder?

yes, he was.

52 minutes ago, NakedSquid said:

Serious question, why is the punter the holder?  I thought it should always be the back up QB or a gadget player. That would provide more options for a fake or bad snap. 

Our best gadget player on FGs was our punter Moorman; he was a hurdler and made a number of good plays on fakes.