Keeping Nick O’Leary or benching Clay

Joeziehmer

What would have been the best result?  As it is Clay is a nominal cast off signed to such a huge contract that finding trade suitors would have been in our best interests and off loading it for draft capital with someone willing to absorb at least half of it.  We’ve got guys like Star, Murphy, and others getting beat out by undrafted and rotation guys who are hungrier for starting spots.  And, sadly we hitched wagons to them.  I have to learn not to be optimistic when the season starts.  Now, tied into our own dead money hit (next season) despite draft capital we are going to be hamstrung by this again!  Wonder if the process guys speak Tagolog and loved Driv3r.  

I would have kept both. They play different roles. Logan Thomas has not made many plays as to where i would keep him over O leary ( but he is improving ) and Croom is more of a Clay type of back. If Clay was healthy.

Feeling Clay's health is too poor for him to be useful much longer.His legs are shot. They were when he got here btw. does some nice aware blocking though.
Hell Bills should been dressing 4 TEs the way the receivers have played most of the season . maybe Bills could run the ball effectively ?

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I have no idea what you're talking about, but there are people who risked their lives defending your right to say it. 

it is a bit scattered. I just went with the title

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Nick is so slow he would've never made it to the end zone to begin with let alone get open

and yet Taylor some how was able find him there.

Nick is steady and was getting rather good at both pass and run blocking. His hands were consistent if the ball was on target. and he was fairly cheap.

Clay on the other hand ?

• Like (+1) 1

It's not about O'Leary or Clay, it was about O'Leary or the other two clowns that have done nothing all year. We're going to need some tight ends if Daboll ever wants to run the evil empire's 12 personnel that they did back when it was Hernandez and Gronk.

9 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Nick is so slow he would've never made it to the end zone to begin with let alone get open

That might have been perfect? He’d only just have gotten to the spot the ball bounced of Clays hands! 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Luka said:

It's not about O'Leary or Clay, it was about O'Leary or the other two clowns that have done nothing all year. We're going to need some tight ends if Daboll ever wants to run the evil empire's 12 personnel that they did back when it was Hernandez and Gronk.

you don't like #80 ? They were lining him all over. took me awhile to realize what WR had the number 60

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

you don't like #80 ? They were lining him all over. took me awhile to realize what WR had the number 60

Do I like the guy who has 15 catches and is only on the team because he's sleeping with the owner's daughter? Yea, no.

29 minutes ago, Joeziehmer said:

What would have been the best result?  As it is Clay is a nominal cast off signed to such a huge contract that finding trade suitors would have been in our best interests and off loading it for draft capital with someone willing to absorb at least half of it.  We’ve got guys like Star, Murphy, and others getting beat out by undrafted and rotation guys who are hungrier for starting spots.  And, sadly we hitched wagons to them.  I have to learn not to be optimistic when the season starts.  Now, tied into our own dead money hit (next season) despite draft capital we are going to be hamstrung by this again!  Wonder if the process guys speak Tagolog and loved Driv3r.  

Why do you think NE leads the league every year in UDFA's. Belichick wants young hungry guys, not overpaid underperforming scrubs like Clay. Nick probably makes that catch or he at least has the common sense to come back to the qb. And O'Leary would've cost a small fraction of Clay's deal.

21 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Maybe not but at least he would have been in every game & costs a ton less than Clay i think it shows by his production that he is not a elite TE & isn't worth what the previous regime paid him ! 

At the time it looked as if it was a win for the Bills but examining the way he has digressed i for one have thought that it's over due for him to be gone !!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14145/charles-clay

It’s all a moot point.. Clays here nick is in Miami. My opinion don’t matter which one was here you’re gonna get roughly the same production from either. Our current tight ends and O’Leary aren’t very good. Clay and McCoy’s deals will probably run out and they’ll be ready for retirement. I expect some more talent added at both positions next year. Cap is not going to be a big issue the next few years unless they do some really stupid stuff