Noah Fant - TE Iowa - Should Bills pick at 8

Sanners

With Fant declaring for the 2019 draft, and the Bills big time need for a TE, do you think we select him at 8 (our current position).  I’ve seen a couple games and he looks the part. Anyone a Hawkeye fan with more insight?

Edited by Sanners

1 minute ago, dezertbill said:

Not often you find TE's that teams want to draft in the top 10, and most have fizzled out.  

I would say WR and OL will be two hot positions the Bills will go after.  Good TE's can be found day 2 and 3.

O-line in the top 10 is fizzle out territory (or zero added value for the teams that draft them).

I think this is worth consideration.

• Like (+1) 1

My Dream offseason would be as follows:

Free Agency:

1) WR - Tyrell Williams

2) The best OL available at C, RG or RT

3) Resign the guys McBeane want back 

Round 1 - Noah Fant

Round 2 - C or G

Round 3 - RB

That gives Allen a vastly improved OL. 

Shady gets a legit RB counterpart. 

WR’s - Williams/Jones/Foster/McKenzie

TE’s - Fant/Croom 

4 minutes ago, Sanners said:

Yep. Iowa has a great history of TE’s doing well in the league too. I’m skeptical at 8, but that’s why I asked. 

I'd do it. Or trade down into the early teens and do it. They could get a good TE in FAs but I don't think he'd be the kind of receiver Fant is.

21 minutes ago, Sanners said:

With Fant declaring for the 2019 draft, and the Bills big time need for a TE, do you think we select him at 8 (our current position).  I’ve seen a couple games and he looks the part. Anyone a Hawkeye fan with more insight?

Absolutely not.  TE is a major need, but that’s way too high for a TE like Fant.  Good TE’s, like RBs, can be found in the middle-late rounds.  

He's clearly a trade-down pick, as taking him at 8 would be a reeeaaccchhhh, but I think Fant would be an awesome piece to add to the offense, assuming we sign a WR in FA and address OL in RD 2 and FA. 

If we don't have that high level FA WR heading into the draft, then I'd go WR RD 1.

I like Kaden Smith-TE Stanford 6'5 252 a lot more than Fant for some reason but I really want to take a flier on Tyler Eifert this season. Beane/McDermott were apart of that Panthers team that brought in Greg Olsen who suffered injury after injury at the beginning of his career and he finally put it all together to become a perennial Pro Bowler.

I'd take that chance with Tyler Eifert.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Ideally we would take an OT or WR in the first round.

I agree, TE is a huge need though. This is a very deep WR class, so it would be okay to wait until round 2. If they thought he was a Kelce type of talent it would be worth it. A 1000 yard TE would be a great help for a young QB. 

I would be happy with Fant in round 1 if they got Anthony Johnson in round 2 and a RB in round 3. They would have to add two stud olineman in free agency if they went that route though.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. 

So the thread title 'Hapless Bills Fan' does not work as well as 'Hapless Bills Fan is Playing Hall Monitor Again'?

?

By the way...does Noah have a sister named 'Ella'?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Not at 8. No TE is worth that.  Tampa drafted OJ Howard at 19 and are still looking for a payday after 2 years. He is coming on, but not a game-changer. Ebron went  10th and it's taken him 4 years and 2 teams to make any impact. Ertz and Gronk were drafted in the 2nd round.  Kelce and Cook went in the 3rd. We need a stud, game changing WR if we draft in the top 10.  OL, TE, RB stars have been found in rounds 2-5 and beyond.

Saw Fant play every game this year. Frankly I don't see what all the hype is about. He is a not a great blocker and was often shut down late in the season. The other tight end (Hockensen) had a much better year receiving and blocking, so Fant would not be in the game when they went with a one tight end set.  Iowa being Iowa played a lot of 2 tight end sets so he did play alot but in many games had little to no impact. He is very good in the red zone but something just did not click this year. He still has all of the measurables that scouts seem to love but I just don't see him being a star. To me, he is not a first round talent as he stagnated this year.

Edited by Hawkeyes38
  • Thank you (+1) 1