Does Danny Crossman Survive This Year?

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

I think the issue is the Punter.  Bills have 3 under contract but only the worst one is able to play right now due to injury

Colton played well yesterday. 

Crossman has been on three staffs and the story is always the same. A year where there are 6 or 7 bottom of the roster guys (excluding the K, P and holder) who are dedicated special teamers he produces pretty decent special teams (2014 and 2017) when the coach and GM are churning the bottom of the roster trying to look for guys who can start or provide depth in other spots then his special teams suck. 

He goes entirely as his talent goes. There are a lot of young guys dressing trying to win jobs on O and D and they look lost out there on STs at times abd Crossman seems incapable of getting improvement.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Schmidt actually had an excellent game yesterday, especially pinning Jax behind the 5 multiple times. 

But it of course can all change against Miami. 

He was lousy. He did get two lucky bounces when the jax PR didn't bother catching or returning the low short punts. He booted another in the endzone. And he had 2-3 short punts with no hang time. 

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

One thought that went through my mind yesterday: “Wow the Bills special teams have been horrible.”

Stephen Hauschka’s been $$$ but every other. aspect of special teams has struggled including punting, kick returns and kick coverage.  There were several times this year when the ST’s significantly contributed to a Bills loss.

Does anyone think Crossman could be fire.  Remember, he’s the last holdover from the Rex Ryan regime.  He doesn’t have a connection to McDermott like a lot of other coaches do.  I’m wondering if he suffers the same fate as another non-connected coach who struggled last year - Mr. Rick Dennison.  

Marone hired him. This is his 3rd regime. I've never been very impressed with him. His record in the NFL before Buffalo (Detroit) was dismal too. I don't think they'll fire him before the end of the season, but he's definitely on the bubble.

On a related note, Daboll has a very real opportunity to save his job if the offense continues to improve.

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Marone hired him. This is his 3rd regime. I've never been very impressed with him. His record in the NFL before Buffalo (Detroit) was dismal too. I don't think they'll fire him before the end of the season, but he's definitely on the bubble.

On a related note, Daboll has a very real opportunity to save his job if the offense continues to improve.

I know it is not a popular opinion.... I don't think Daboll was ever on the hotseat. I think McDermott and Beane know they gave him the worst offensive cast in a long time. It is why they have cut their losses and gone for a youth movement - Teller, McKenzie and Foster etc.

1 hour ago, jr1 said:

he probably found a sex tape

I do not see how him find a video of you being penetrated by a dog will save his job.

Explain this?

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He had one good punt which was downed inside the 5.  His 6 punts were far from excellent.  I think he has a 40 yard average which is not good.  He has struggled since returning to the roster 

The average has to do with field position for which the Bills in general was good in Jaguars game.

The complaint before was that he would out kick the coverage team which he seemed to have resolved.

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Surprisingly, McD singled out the special teams as doing very well in his post game speech yesterday.  

Colton is fairly reliable as a punter, but that other dude on IR Corey Bojorquez could boom them.

Ray Ray was a liability on returns, and the unit was a disaster early in the year. It is tough to coach Special Teams as you get so much roster turn over year to year...not sure if I throw the baby out with the bath water as Crossman had a respectable unit last year.

They have certainly been better since that Houston game, but the old article below kind of explains that struggle getting new guys to buy into playing ST.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/19/buffalo-bills-captains-call-players-meeting-special-teams-lorenzo-alexander-stephen-hauschka

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He had one good punt which was downed inside the 5.  His 6 punts were far from excellent.  I think he has a 40 yard average which is not good.  He has struggled since returning to the roster 

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

He had 2 punts that bounced and were downed inside the 5 - great.

He had 3 punts with little air time and gave up huge returns - luckily they called a penalty on Jac to negate the one return. A second had offsetting penalties to hold off another good return.

He only had 1 fair catch and a touchback.

Overall it is easy to see why they tried to replace him.  

He is way to inconsistent to say he had an excellent game.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He was lousy. He did get two lucky bounces when the jax PR didn't bother catching or returning the low short punts. He booted another in the endzone. And he had 2-3 short punts with no hang time. 

Well, as far as ST's is concerned he was the star of the unit.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The ST also made an absolutely horrendous and inexcusable mistake and play yesterday getting a too many men on the field penalty on a punt, which gifted the Jags a first down, which was the equivalent of a INT or fumble. 

This was not an error by Crossman.  Player heard "punt team" and ran out on the field from medical tent not realizing he had been replaced since he was being examined by doctors.

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Especially as Daboll may not have been in any danger in the first place.

It's very reasonable to think they may have considered that most of the problems on offense were caused not by coaching but by young, new or not good enough QBs combined with a roster that has, on offense, more weaknesses than strengths.

Edited by Thurman#1

20 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Then why didn't Crossman stop him when he was running onto the field? :D

Probably he was not looking behind himself; he probably should get those glasses which have rear view mirrors.

Other members of team tried to tell him but he got off field too late.

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Probably he was not looking behind himself; he probably should get those glasses which have rear view mirrors.

Other members of team tried to tell him but he got off field too late.

What should have happened is McD should have called a timeout. When he was noticed racing off the field and not close to it the Browns were already ready to snap the ball. He loves to waste timeouts other ways, this one would have been wise. Wouldn't have been worth it if the Browns had over five yards to go but it was 4.5. 

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

I also do not understand how he and Benjamin are surviving on a team where McBeane preach accountability repeatedly. I am not sure he will be gone but I certainly hope so. 

Related note - I remember our STs being very good in the Superbowl years. 

Marv was a special teams coach before he became a HC and put a huge emphasis on it. Helped to have two fantastic ST guys in Tasker and Pike, along with a good PK. 

• Like (+1) 1