Does Danny Crossman Survive This Year?

Definitely the punting situation will clear up next year, they need a couple of 

players that have special teams experience. Every good team ha a couple.

usually WR and backup linebackers and safeties are the best special teamers

the new punt returner scares me with his reputation as a fumbler

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

One thought that went through my mind yesterday: “Wow the Bills special teams have been horrible.”

Stephen Hauschka’s been $$$ but every other. aspect of special teams has struggled including punting, kick returns and kick coverage.  There were several times this year when the ST’s significantly contributed to a Bills loss.

Does anyone think Crossman could be fire.  Remember, he’s the last holdover from the Rex Ryan regime.  He doesn’t have a connection to McDermott like a lot of other coaches do.  I’m wondering if he suffers the same fate as another non-connected coach who struggled last year - Mr. Rick Dennison.  

Special Teams has been brutal this year besides Haushcka. Oh those Bills special teams...

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

He had 2 punts that bounced and were downed inside the 5 - great.

He had 3 punts with little air time and gave up huge returns - luckily they called a penalty on Jac to negate the one return. A second had offsetting penalties to hold off another good return.

He only had 1 fair catch and a touchback.

Overall it is easy to see why they tried to replace him.  

He is way to inconsistent to say he had an excellent game.

Agree.  His punts bounced because they were so poor they couldn't even be played on the fly.  Those in the stadium could see that.  Schmidt got lucky with some favorable bounces.

14 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I agree but the difference is Castillo and Culley have connections to McDermott.  Crossman did not.  

well it's time for a divorce.  having game changing plays called back for stupid offensive penalties should def. seal jaun's fate here. i can't see how mcd can justify keeping him.

i believe he also holds the title of run game coordinator.  enough said....

I don't know a ton about special teams coaching.  The performance hasn't been there, but is that the players or the coach?  Sure, coaches are supposed to work with the players, but what can Crossman, or any other coach, do differently?  I genuinely don't know the answer, but I would be really curious to hear the answer. 

3 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Agree.  His punts bounced because they were so poor they couldn't even be played on the fly.  Those in the stadium could see that.  Schmidt got lucky with some favorable bounces.

I was in the stadium too.  I was blown away by how bad his kicks were.  Seeing it on TV is different.  I had no idea he was that bad.  

I'd find a better OL and WR coach before Crossman.  Special Teams could be better but at least they've looked reasonably prepared.  The OL and WR looked absolutely lost the first four games of the season and that's on the coaching.  Those units were not prepared for the regular season by a country mile.  

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The ST also made an absolutely horrendous and inexcusable mistake and play yesterday getting a too many men on the field penalty on a punt, which gifted the Jags a first down, which was the equivalent of a INT or fumble. 

That was the most pissed I got during the whole game.  That is an inexcusable error for an NFL team.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go a different direction and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to stay the course with Crossman. He may have an out with all the punter injuries this season as well as Taiwan Jones, a ST captain, going on IR earlier this year. McKenzie looks like he can provide a spark in the return game, but when it comes to return coverage, that's where they haven't been very good. But again, wouldn't be surprised if they left things as they are and allowed Crossman to stay on and keep working. 

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That was the most pissed I got during the whole game.  That is an inexcusable error for an NFL team.

Hard to blame a coach though, for a player's mental error. I mean I know the coaches share some responsibility there... but ultimately, the players have to execute and know where they're supposed to be.

During warm-ups, the Jags punter was booming punts well above our heads (5th row upper deck) while Schmidt's punts hardly flew above the red seats.  The only punt that had any hang time at all was punted into the end zone when he needed about 15 yds less distance.  This has been a familiar occurrence for Schmidt throughout his tenure with the Bills.  It's why he was replaced this season.  I believe the only reason he is on the team is because he is an experienced holder for FG's & EP's.  The lack of hang time makes it so hard for cover team to get downfield which makes them look so bad.

Ed

22 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

He had 3 punts with little air time and gave up huge returns - luckily they called a penalty on Jac to negate the one return. A second had offsetting penalties to hold off another good return.

Overall it is easy to see why they tried to replace him.  

He is way to inconsistent to say he had an excellent game.

I agree....that guy that said Colton was “excellent” is out of his mind.  He has not punted well.

On 11/26/2018 at 6:41 PM, Rochesterfan said:

And that fair catch was a ***** play where the PR didn't have a Bill within 20 yards when he called for the FC and 10 when he actually caught it.  Schmidt was turrible Sunday.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

And that fair catch was a ***** play where the PR didn't have a Bill within 20 yards when he called for the FC and 10 when he actually caught it.  Schmidt was turrible Sunday.

Yep - agreed - which is exactly why he was replaced.

Constant improvement - even trying little things.