Jags Fire Hackett and Have Benched Bortles for Kessler

26CornerBlitz

It's kind of funny, but losing to our Bills is treated like the ultimate NFL disgrace.

When the Vikings lost to the Bills at first all the media was saying "the sky is falling, how could they lose to the lowly Bills?". Lucky for the Viking coaching staff and their top-dollar QB the narrative morphed to a more pragmatic narrative that the Vikings play at least one uncharacteristic game a year where they lose to a "bad" team.

Then came the fallout from the Jets losing to us in spectacular fashion and all the "dead man walking" comments regarding Todd Bowles.

Now the heads roll after the Jags lose to us - I wonder how many more front office shake-ups our "bad" team can cause over the rest of the season...

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

St. Doug deflecting blame.

Definitely fired the wrong guy - he and Hackett were tied at the hip it seemed, but anything to save your second HC tenure I guess? I don't know what an OC can do with Bortles under center, but without Fournette they don't have an offense.

You know, the people who believed Bortles was a starting QB in the NFL got fooled by his previous play and should be the ones fired for this dumpsterfire of a QB situation in a year when the jags were all in to win the SB...oh wait, weird deja vu there

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I believe the Jags are currently in the red with cap space.  They'll have some major cuts next year.

I think they suck next year....like 3-13 suck.

12.5 million over next year.

With respect to other posts they would eat a lot if they fired Doug as he has an extension through 2021.

However, if they finish something like 4-12 with an offense that is going no where.

...wow.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

30 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Well, their fans want Gase and Tannehill gone.

I honestly think Gase is a decent HC, but Tannehill I have never thought of as a franchise-type QB. He has moments of solid to really good play, then will do some things that are drive killers...just inconsistent. He has also been injured quite a bit.

If they got rid of Gase they would probably suck for another decade, but if that is what the fans want then Todd Bowles and Doug Marrone might be available soon.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I honestly think Gase is a decent HC, but Tannehill I have never thought of as a franchise-type QB. He has moments of solid to really good play, then will do some things that are drive killers...just inconsistent. He has also been injured quite a bit.

If they got rid of Gase they would probably suck for another decade, but if that is what the fans want then Todd Bowles and Doug Marrone might be available soon.

Yup. Gase is a solid coach who got stuck with Tannehill.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Tannehill was playing pretty well yesterday and Gase called two draws plays on third and ten late in the fourth quarter, neither worked and they lost a ten point lead. 

Didn’t see the game but I’ve seen a lot of RT.  He isn’t the worst but he’s not really taking you anywhere.  My hope is Allen isn’t in the RT class and we know what we have one way or another next year.  The RT type Qbs keep you in limbo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Didn’t see the game but I’ve seen a lot of RT.  He isn’t the worst but he’s not really taking you anywhere.  My hope is Allen isn’t in the RT class and we know what we have one way or another next year.  The RT type Qbs keep you in limbo.

Yup. Agree with all of that. Not sold on Gase though. Seems to me to be the smartest guy in the room type. 

Sometimes it works. But not for long haul. 

I mean Im not a fan of hackett's play calling but I kinda feel sorry for the guy..you have a completely inconsistent qb..no weapons on offence other than fournette ..their top Wrs from last year are gone ..how bortles goes from torching New England through the air to the worst QB in NFL is baffling.

4 minutes ago, bills11 said:

I mean Im not a fan of hackett's play calling but I kinda feel sorry for the guy..you have a completely inconsistent qb..no weapons on offence other than fournette ..their top Wrs from last year are gone ..how bortles goes from torching New England through the air to the worst QB in NFL is baffling.

I feel less bad when I realize he got paid a lot of money simply because his dad was a former coach and friends with Marrone.

these guys are handed opportunities that other coaches need to grind to get because of a family connection.  If Hackett’s dad wasn’t a nfl cos h, he is a high school coach. Things worked out pretty good for Nate.

• Like (+1) 2

AWESOME. I hate the Jaguars now. They ticked me off last game, and I didn't realize how ticked off I got losing to them last year. With EJ in London, etc. London game was bogus refball on a phantom PI. We've played them a LOT.

Then they got Marrone and Hackett. Jaylen's talking trash. Take another look at that box score Marrone and GTFO of Buffalo.

**** the Jags. AFC ****list is now 1. Patriots 2. Jags

I do like Cody Kessler though. Thought he had some decent stretches for a terrible Browns team. Can't see him being much better or worse than WarBortles.

• Like (+1) 1