Sport Science: Josh Allen has the strongest arm in NFL History---74 MPH Velocity

Big Turk

74mph with a football is off the charts. I believe the next closest speed was Jamarcus Russell at around 69 mph. This is why he is rarely intercepted as the ball if it comes out clean with a good step forward is impossible for a corner to turn and locate. Nate Peterman would be a top NFL QB with that arm. 

If Allen can learn short to medium touch accuracy he will be deadly. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Re watch his 40 attempt.

he is clearly dogging it and going 70% at best... he is not trying and runs like a robot

he runs nothing like that 

Again, yes.  He is running to not get hurt and knows he can run a good time for a QB at that speed.  What I'd like to see is him run a 40-yard legitimately.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, yes.  He is running to not get hurt and knows he can run a good time for a QB at that speed.  What I'd like to see is him run a 40-yard legitimately.

Watch him run 40 yards the other day lol

he will obviously be in the 4.5 area probably low end... he can cook!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

I do not believe you can run faster with the ball in your hands as you have one less full arm swing. All things being equal. I have personally run down guys running with the ball who are faster then me running as fast as they can and I gain on them because I can swing hard with out holding a ball. A lot of times it happens when a defender has a better angle but not always.

I don't refute your post.

The X factors here are current real time game fatigue, conditioning, competitive urge, player trying to outrun a defender, adrenaline pumping, game excitement etc etc...… then you will run faster. But I bet those defenders having the same factors also run faster then normal.

Very interesting.

Maybe the ball doesn’t make you faster....but the scary people chasing you provide extra motivation???   ?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd say 4.4's. 

That’s a tough one. He has a big frame to get going but once he does he is cooking

he doesn’t have the frame of Vick or RG3 who were super quick and fast 

maybe a 4.49 but is he as fast as Fournette? I will say not quite. He is as amazing athlete and can do amazing things on the field

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This.

I really don’t understand those who are saying velocity doesn’t matter. I’m gonna send you all the recently released NFL Films presentation; Nathan Peterman’s NFL Career passes. 

Yes, the 75 yard TD strike with 3 behemoths crushing him is velocity. Can it be further developed and smoothed out? Of course - and it’s far more likely than developing a power arm. This was the 21 year old’s 7th game situation. His arm isn’t the only attribute he’s oozing strength from. He’s tough as nails, FAST and loves competing. 

Count me among the impressed and with big expectations.

The comparison to Peterman is one of the first things that I think of when anyone mentions JA's arm strength.  I would cringe anytime Peterman would throw an out route because it would take about 3 days to reach the receiver.  There have been a ton of otherwise meaningless throws that Allen has made when the arm strength stand out...doesn't have to be throwing it 60+ yards in the air.

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

90% of the time he won't even need all that juice, but in situations like that bomb to Foster yesterday where he was being brought down by 3 defenders and with just a flick of his wrist he connects on a 75 yard bomb, it certainly helps. He needs to work on touch and finesse more than anything though and his completion % will go up.

actually

Take a look at the intermediate throws he made yesterday......the majority of them on a frozen rope to a receiver and getting called back because of penalties

You want know how to have a low interception rate?   Be able to throw like Josh Allen does and have receivers on the other end with the hands to catch it.......why?  because corners give cushion and then close on plays......and when the ball is to the receiver THAT quick it is nearly impossible for the corner to break and make a play on the ball.....so all they can do is make the tackle....if you actually have quality targets the ball is getting there so fast that they can turn upfield even if they are well covered......

We have seen SEVERAL of those thrown by Josh Allen

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

But unlike most recent Bills QBs, he'll make the throw, as opposed to throwing it 3 yards past the line of scrimmage, counting on the receiver to make the first down.

My favorite play call was the 3rd & 26 when we threw it a ton. I'm getting tired of OC's calling runs in that situation. Ya might get a penalty. Ya never know.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billykay said:

My favorite play call was the 3rd & 26 when we threw it a ton. I'm getting tired of OC's calling runs in that situation. Ya might get a penalty. Ya never know.

I bet there is some kind of stat out there that shows throws on 3rd and long tend to have the highest interception rates......probably based on the pass rush the D puts on and the QB trying to make a play......

Josh Allen is ALWAYS going to have that gunslinger mentality.....they need to work the hero ball out of him a little bit actually and i am a big fan of his saying that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

If you're a skeptic, I'm telling you it's time to get over it.   Just look at his throws.   Look at his his poise and his pocket presence.   

The hit he took during the Foster bomb was during the throw. How that ball traveled as far as it did is astonishing. This oline better start protecting him like the precious jewel he is.

• Like (+1) 4

I love watching him throw the ball. How effortless he can make the absolute rockets he throws is unbelievable. While the WR core is terrible I'd bet the velocity on his throws makes them harder to hand catch than anything they were used to in the past. 

Reminds me of an interview I saw or receivers that played with Brett Farve and how they would count the number of fingers of there's he broke or sprained.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

That’s a tough one. He has a big frame to get going but once he does he is cooking

he doesn’t have the frame of Vick or RG3 who were super quick and fast 

maybe a 4.49 but is he as fast as Fournette? I will say not quite. He is as amazing athlete and can do amazing things on the field

Again in that Vikings game, he ran 10 yards and got up to 20.6 MPH (3.88 40-yard).  I think 4.4s is possible. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

If he was running like this ppl would say that he has Cam like running ability.

I honestly think that a better comparison for him is Ben R. when he was young.

Big Ben was not even in the same area code as a scrambler.  Other areas, yeah, I'd agree with the comp.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Again in that Vikings game, he ran 10 yards and got up to 20.6 MPH (3.88 40-yard).  I think 4.4s is possible. 

That is if you can sustain that speed... also ADRENALINE In a live game is unlike anything 

When you have grown men chasing you... you run

I don’t doubt he’d be close to the 4.4s 

I ran track and played ball at a high level and the adrenaline of a football game made me fly like I just couldn’t replicate on the track 

im a smaller guy and when I had the rock I was running a 4.39 fourty all day because the adrenaline 

But when I ran a fourty in shorts and a Tee I was a 4.44- 4.46. Coaches always said My 40 didn’t match my game speed

idk lol Josh certainly can run a 4.4

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Doc said:

Big Ben was not even in the same area code as a scrambler.  Other areas, yeah, I'd agree with the comp.

This.

Big Ben did not have elite speed as a QB, it was just the fact that he could wade through guys trying to wrap him up and easily break through arm tackles. Like watching wolves try to take down a bull moose. That, and even with defenders hanging all over him, he could still deliver the ball. 

It is Josh's ability to break arm tackles and deliver the ball with guys on him that gives me flashbacks, but he has a long way to go still and if OBD can keep him upright it could actually be fun to watch a Bills QB again.

• Thank you (+1) 1