Brandon Beane: "As Long as I'm in Charge, We're Never Tanking"

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tank for what player? ;)

I will rephrase it as "The season is toast, no sense clutching at straws, the more games they lose the better the overall draft will be".

The only thing that over rules that is Josh Allen comes back healthy and gets some starts and hopefully a couple of wins.

Of course he has to stay healthy while doing that.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I will rephrase it as "The season is toast, no sense clutching at straws, the more games they lose the better the overall draft will be".

The only thing that over rules that is Josh Allen comes back healthy and gets some starts and hopefully a couple of wins.

Of course he has to stay healthy while doing that.

Fan talk. The team will try like hell to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Define "most." I would argue their only 2 real missteps so far have been trading up for Zay and trading for Kelvin Benjamin. If you want to include the backup QB as another misstep, sure. For many of their moves the evaluation is still ongoing. On the flip side they've rebuilt the defense to be top 5 in the NFL and drafted the hopeful franchise QB. A lot of this regime's future is tied to Josh Allen. They will go as he goes.

The list of mistakes starts with McDermott's 2017 draft when he traded out of #10, passing on 2 QB prospects who were significantly better than Josh Allen, in order to take a DB.  I don't care how great Tre White becomes, passing on a QB to take a DB is a mistake.

• Trading Watkins when there were no other WRs with speed on the team was another mistake, especially when they have failed to bring in a WR with real speed over both 2 seasons.
  • Trading Darby for Jordan Matthews and a third round pick (Harrison Phillips) because Matthews did nothing for the Bills and wasn't re-signed.
  • Trading Tyrod Taylor and keeping Nathan Peterman, incurring nearly $8 million in dead cap space that could have been used to sign more/better FAs.
  • Giving up so much talent and draft capital to get Allen and Edmunds.  The draft is largely a crap-shoot, even with high picks, so giving up so much to get only two players when the team has so many needs isn't smart.  Except for the #1 pick,  first round QB prospects, are only successful about half the time, and Allen is the kind of prospect who is most likely to fail: a raw project in need of significant coaching.
  • Not bothering to address the offense after drafting Allen until the end of the fifth round despite obvious holes on the OL and among the WRs.
  • Failing to hire a better QB coach than David Culley.
  • Trading for Corey Coleman, incurring $3.5 million in dead cap space, on a team already strapped by an enormous dead cap space.
  • Failing to have a third QB on the PS going into the regular season.
  • Failing to get around to signing a better backup QB than Peterman for a month.

Are those enough serious mistakes for you?  McDermott/Beane have repeatedly demonstrated their incompetence to build a competitive team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fan talk. The team will try like hell to win. 

You are missing my point entirely.  I'm not talking about the players.

If Beane was all in on saving the season he could of talked trade for other QBs and given up draft picks to get one weeks ago.

He did not do that.  He got Anderson and Barkley.  Along with Peterman this almost assures losses with this offense.

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So who do you fire for passing on Mahomes and Watson? The defensive minded head coach who was here for all of 3 months before that draft? Or the GM that hadn't been hired yet? There was zero chance we were drafting a QB high last year. Call it bad timing. Blame Pegula if you want for not having a more stable situation in place. But McDermott and Beane can't be held accountable for that.

If you’re going to blame anyone, blame Pegs for giving Whaley a 4th year as GM in 2016. 3 years was far, FAR too much as it was.

Edited by Rico

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No in hindsight they didn't need to. But of course we didn't know that last year. This regime decided right away they'd be going all out for a QB in 2019 and every move they made was in service of that plan. All their dead cap is off the books next year. This is the last year where they have fair excuses for losing. And sure if they had made every move exactly right we would be in a better spot right now. But I don't blame them for passing on a QB last year or casting away players to gather draft picks. I blame them for the receiver situation and that's about it. A lot of their moves have been great. I'm okay with a couple stinkers and a bad rebuilding year. Next year they'll have to prove their plan is working.

So who do you fire for passing on Mahomes and Watson? The defensive minded head coach who was here for all of 3 months before that draft? Or the GM that hadn't been hired yet? There was zero chance we were drafting a QB high last year. Call it bad timing. Blame Pegula if you want for not having a more stable situation in place. But McDermott and Beane can't be held accountable for that.

I am sorry but the QB situation going to this season is inexcusable. They knew Allen needed time to learn the pro game as he is really raw. The fact Peterman is still on the roster and that they believe he can play in this league makes me really question if they know anything about a modern NFL offense. Then again McDermott believes you can win playing field position and playing conservative offense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You are missing my point entirely.  I'm not talking about the players.

If Beane was all in on saving the season he could of talked trade for other QBs and given up draft picks to get one weeks ago.

He did not do that.  He got Anderson and Barkley.  Along with Peterman this almost assures losses with this offense.

McDermott genuinely believed Peterman could be a viable bridge to Allen.  That's not a tank, it's a gross miscalculation that they realize was a big mistake upon reflection.  There is no tanking. It's fan talk. 

Beane has been very much available to the media these last couple of weeks.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Awesome.  Care to enlighten me to what he’s all about master?

I'm really not here to get in pissing matches with fellow Bills fans.

I don't like the direction of the team. I don't believe they know what they're doing. I don't believe in Allen. I don't like the moves they've made.

But I'd be as happy as you to be wrong about every single one of those assessments.

• Like (+1) 1

Depends on what you mean by tanking I think. Did they purposely make moves that would lower the current level of the team to try and make it better later, yeah I think so. Did they take this roster and go into games with the intention to lose, no I don't think they did. I think they meant to stay aggressive tying win to keep the right mindset/culture going for the coming season but the wheels came off the offense more than they were expecting.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That is where you see the agenda's in this thread like Bado

He is not admitting to the tank....so therefore he must be a bad GM

Like ANY GM is EVER going to admit to a tank

Sure lol but he had to use such strong language? Couldn't say what we're saying here that "we're not tanking but we know our plans for rebuilding long term are affecting current results we got our Quarterback and we're going to keep improving" not "I will never tank while in Buffalo [on purpose]"..

a rebuild McBeane style is a tank what the hell else is it supposed to be. Just don't tell the media you tried to field the best team possible because it's a bald faced lie or it genuinely comes off as this was his best effort.. both super embarrassing. But whatever, non story as far as we're concerned we know what's happening. Just not good for Beane should he fail and have to explain what the heck he meant when he fielded the worst offense ever. By that point it's his job on the line not our franchise.

We rag on Whaley for his press conferences and didn't have the benefit of knowing he'd have a job the next day, but he never said "I'm setting this team up long term we will never have cap problems while I'm GM." and that would have been equally hilarious because he's just bald face lying. Dude was just awkward and gave non answers. Smart dodging bait like that

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They gave up a couple draft picks and Glenn to get Allen. And they still kept their other first rounder. I wouldn't say that's a tank. 

They've just been pretty bad at evaluating the talent they inherited as well as talent around the league. The reason they are terrible on the offensive side of the football and thus a bad team.

Plus, McD has chosen some really bad offensive coaches, OC, line coach, QB coach. I don't think I would trust this FO to obtain offensive talent next offseason if this coaching staff stays intact. In fact I think it will be another non-tank bad year for 2019 with Daboll, Castillo no matter who they bring in. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm talking about the trades of Sammy and Darby which were done to get the best draft picks possible out of players they didn't see as having a long term future in Buffalo. They have been gearing up to get a QB since last offseason. Unlike other regimes they didn't want to sit on their hands and wait to see what happened. They identified a strong QB class and did what they could to put themselves in position to draft one early. And now they have Allen and we're all waiting to find out if they're right about him.

Hmmm.  If both those trades were done to get the best draft picks possible, why did they include players?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hmmm.  If both those trades were done to get the best draft picks possible, why did they include players?

Because they thought Darby was worth Matthews and a pick flipped for Benjamin.

..Actually had nothing to do with getting Allen to whatever your replying to. Quite the opposite. just lost us an asset for WRs that set Allen back either by having crappy KB playing with Allen, or wasting a year of building a WR corps thinking Matthews had them set replacing Watkins... Actually a horrible move anyway as far as working to get a top 10 QB with weapons is concerned. 

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They gave up a couple draft picks and Glenn to get Allen. And they still kept their other first rounder. I wouldn't say that's a tank. 

They've just been pretty bad at evaluating the talent they inherited as well as talent around the league. The reason they are terrible on the offensive side of the football and thus a bad team.

Are you friggin serious?  They're tanking.  In many different forms of tank, but they're tanking.  The average teenager that reads the internet could put together a better offense.  There is no way Beane is this stupid to actually be "trying".

I'm actually giving him credit, while being pissed at the way they've done this.  Yeah, I'm saying there's no way he's this stupid.

Edited by Lv-Bills

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Could be Pegula sent him out to give the fans some excuses.... er I mean answers.

I'd rather they suck on purpose than this story be true! Good god gross calculation is an understatement, that's the last answer I wanted to hear.

Why do I think he said it? Idk he just took the bait and got owned and looks like a dummy now. And we're parsing what this quote means. He must have been speaking truthfully I guess, but he basically said he's tanking unintentionally. Scary.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No in hindsight they didn't need to. But of course we didn't know that last year. This regime decided right away they'd be going all out for a QB in 2019 and every move they made was in service of that plan. All their dead cap is off the books next year. This is the last year where they have fair excuses for losing. And sure if they had made every move exactly right we would be in a better spot right now. But I don't blame them for passing on a QB last year or casting away players to gather draft picks. I blame them for the receiver situation and that's about it. A lot of their moves have been great. I'm okay with a couple stinkers and a bad rebuilding year. Next year they'll have to prove their plan is working.

Do you think McDermott mentioned in his interview that he couldn’t possibly draft a qb in his first year? 

How many months should a defensive coach get to evaluate college QBs? 

2 minutes ago, Lv-Bills said:

Are you friggin serious?  They're tanking.  In many different forms of tank, but they're tanking.  The average teenager that reads the internet could put together a better offense.  There is no way Beane is this stupid to actually be "trying".

I'm actually giving him credit, while being pissed at the way they've done this.  Yeah, I'm saying there's no way he's this stupid.

Haha. I can only hope. Honestly, because a dude that made this offense with intentions of winning games is a scary proposition.

And rebuilding and tanking are the same thing as far as these guys go. Not many GMs go through such extreme measures.