Brandon Beane: "As Long as I'm in Charge, We're Never Tanking"

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Do you think McDermott mentioned in his interview that he couldn’t possibly draft a qb in his first year? 

How many months should a defensive coach get to evaluate college QBs? 

Idk but McD wasn't ignoring the college players at Carolina or anything. He was probably looking at lots of secondary targets getting toasted by Mahomes. It would have been very nice. But he's not perfect.

I'd like perfect though. That's what'll make us a dynasty to wreck the Bradyless Patriots into my 40s.

Pretty sickening seeing all these "fans" trashing McDermott and Beane all the time.

I personally support them and hope they succeed long term, and I am very impressed with what they did last year.

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Idk but McD wasn't ignoring the college players at Carolina or anything. He was probably looking at lots of secondary targets getting toasted by Mahomes. It would have been very nice. But he's not perfect.

I'd like perfect though. That's what'll make us a dynasty to wreck the Bradyless Patriots into my 40s.

So you think in his role as the defensive coordinator that McDermott was scouting college QB's? How and why?

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fan talk. The team will try like hell to win. 

The players will try. The team is tanking for better draft position.  If Beane thinks this is a competitive team then he needs to go. But even he can't be that dumb. This is a full tank but he just can't say that publically. To his boss all he has to say is we got our QB now give me a year or two to build around him.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pretty sickening seeing all these "fans" trashing McDermott and Beane all the time.

I personally support them and hope they succeed long term, and I am very impressed with what they did last year.

So you think in his role as the defensive coordinator that McDermott was scouting college QB's? How and why?

To your first part. It's just funny. I can make fun of Whaley's silly PC's, Rex, Peterman.. Beane screwed up lol that's all. Otherwise a nonstory.

To your second part I'll repeat He was probably looking at lots of secondary targets getting toasted by Mahomes. 

He was certainly looking at Tre White. The guy was watching CFB for scouting. And he absolutely saw secondary players he wanted getting toasted by Mahomes. Still would have been the new hire coach with baggage Whaley balls to the wall longshot to draft Mahomes but we can dream for brass balls can't we?

6 hours ago, zow2 said:

Just trying to stay patient here... I told myself I'd give them this offseason and 2019 to get this thing corrected.  We shall see.  But the success of the Bills and McBeane are directly tied to the success of Josh Allen.  

It's a nonstory. He got baited into a question he didn't Dodge is all.

I buy Beane's declaration that the Bills are not in tank mode.  I think he' fully understands the Bills aren't going anywhere this season, but he expects them to try and win games.  At the same time I think he's more cognizant about trying to make moves that will improve the team in future seasons going forward than he was at the start of the season.  As far as the QB position is concerned, I think the focus has to be developing Josh Allen in hopes that he develops into the franchise QB we all want.  I don't think that identifying a long term backup QB is an immediate concern.  I'm in the minority in that I don't think ope is gone with respect to Peterman.  I think his problems can be fixed, and while he doesn't have a cannon arm, he's got as much or more of an arm as other QBs who have been successful starters, to say nothing of successful backups.  I'm not married to him, though, and I'm not sure if he has enough potential to p... off that sizable segment of Bills fans that are ready to tar and feather him and McDermott too if he sticks with him.  Matt Barkley reminds me of a more experienced version of Nate Peterman.  Like Peterman, he lacks legendary arm strength.  He had a productive college career and a disappointing pro career, but he's young enough to think in terms of him having a long term stint as a backup if he can get it going.

Derek Anderson could probably go another 4-5 years if he wants to.  I'm not sure he wants to.  I don't think the Bills have to answer that question this weekend.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Glenn was traded on March 12.  They knew exactly what their draft position would be.

Or did you mean some other position?

You see, they had to trade everything possible in case Tyrod led a depleted team to a great record, so they could draft a qb. 

Ignore the cordy part. 

Edited by NoSaint

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

whats the difference between tanking and "growth mode"???just semantics..

they knew they were going to lose this year...but that does not mean they wanted to I guess. The Sabres WANTED to lose.

The difference to me is the notion that you're actually trying to lose any individual game. At best, I think that's rare.

Setting up your roster for a re-build with the understanding that it will be more difficult to win games is not tanking to me.

So are we tanking? IMO, no. But it's been so bad this year that it's reasonable to question their ability to re-build. I'll stay hopeful since rooting for another team and quitting on the sport aren't options for me right now.

I read his statements. 

Sounds like a ton of excuses to be honest.

Especially the part where he turned it back on the fans/media when he chose to spend on defense. 

Him and McDermott keep talking about the Panthers. YOU’RE NOT IN CAROLINA BRANDON. 

You made one Super Bowl and lost and we get that shoved in our faces relentlessly. 

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

Is it possible Beane was referring to the need to have a clearly established QB coming into camp every year thus nullifying the need for any so called "competition" and rendering control of the position a moot point?

Ideally, McCarron would have won the "competition" hands down. He didn't rise to the occasion to say the least. Beane said as much when he said, "AJ wasn't who we thought he was." 

All that said, Beane and Co. screwed the pooch when McCarron's lack of ability showed itself and he didn't take immediate steps to get Anderson or any other veteran in to mitigate the disaster it became. 

How do you come to that conclusion when Anderson has played like hot garbage?

What good would it have done to get Anderson in here earlier? 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I read his statements. 

Especially the part where he turned it back on the fans/media when he chose to spend on defense. 

Him and McDermott keep talking about the Panthers. YOU’RE NOT IN CAROLINA BRANDON. 

You made one Super Bowl and lost and we get that shoved in our faces relentlessly. 

Good have been anyone. I just used Anderson since he’s the o e we ended up with and he was out there all along. My post certainly wasn’t any type of endorsement of Derek Anderson. Not by a long shot.

44 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I read his statements. 

Because present day players from the 2015 Panthers are better than anything else in the NFL lol. I mean look at the greatest achievement McBeane's been a part of! They'd be fools to not to mimic their Glory days... Wait. Where's Gettleman? This isn't a 2015 Panthers offense!

You guys are harsh. He made a lot of mistakes, and some moves didn't pan out. And he explained the situation pretty well, including that Tyrod's cap cost was a big factor in trading him. IDK what people expect him to say? Beg on his knees?

His 15-1 and 6-10 Panthers mentions are on point to anyone who has played any team game. Just like the playoff 9-7 Bills season was an anomaly, this awful season could be too though the offense sucks so bad - but he does have a point, good players are not just stocked on a shelf for GMs to pick them.

Anyway, it's all on the next two years. But if they lose as badly next year, they won't (well shouldn't) see 2020. Otherwise, the plan has been obvious, he explains it well, and this season sucks. Even more so if Allen and Edmund see little playing time. Otherwise, now that deception is digested, this year is judged on the young guys' progress. Too bad some good older players like Shady, Kyle, Lorax might not be here or too past their primes. And I wonder how vets feel being led by rookies... 

Crazy that Eric Woods not playing uses more cap space! They sure didn't plan to lose him!

Edited by Jerome007

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

• Trading Tyrod Taylor and keeping Nathan Peterman, incurring nearly $8 million in dead cap space that could have been used to sign more/better FAs.
  • Giving up so much talent and draft capital to get Allen and Edmunds.  The draft is largely a crap-shoot, even with high picks, so giving up so much to get only two players when the team has so many needs isn't smart.  Except for the #1 pick,  first round QB prospects, are only successful about half the time, and Allen is the kind of prospect who is most likely to fail: a raw project in need of significant coaching.

Keeping Tyrod would have been way more costly in cap space! They would have had nothing for free agents. It's like you want to find any reason to bash Beane 

And if Allen and Edmunds become great, it will have been super wise moves. If they bust or are gone within a  few years,  quite the costly gambles. But I like that they go for broke and aim high, staking their jobs on it, rather then playing safe with 8-8 seasons. People bitched and moaned about that, and now it's all about having used to much picks for potential stars! At least they have guts. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No, this is them building for the future.  The cost of that was not being able to field a better team THIS year.

Its mind boggling how hard it is for this board to cope with that.  I mean everyone here wanted Beane to trade practically our whole draft to get a QB, he did it for a fraction of that and still landed what looks like a future star in Edmunds.  Yet people are upset he didn’t magically find 3 WRs and 3 OL plus a TE at the same time.  

We had a ton of dead cap space to clear it out,  the very thing he said he was gonna do first and need 2 years to do.  He did it quicker than he said and now this team has a strong D and is able to focus on rebuilding the offense this next year now that they have the QB they want to build it with.  

Too many people can seem to differentiate between building a team and fielding a team.  Beane will never intentionally lose, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t make decisions that would make it harder to win short term to be in better position to win long term.  

Tanking means intending to lose.  McD and Beane go out there to win, even if it’s not likely.  They aren’t trying to lose.  But the after math of clearing out contracts and trading up twice in the first round to get cornerstone prospects is that it meant not addressing other needs this season and would make this season tougher to win games.  Add in some injury bad luck with Josh and it’s gotten tougher. 

and then we will see how well they are progressing.  Amazes me how much of the board is so out of touch with what’s really gone down.  

Exactly. 

People are upset because this coach & GM set off on a backwards plan to build around a defense & outdated running game first, rather than use all of their assets and capital to assemble a cutting-edge, high-octane offense that can make a team an actual contender. That should have been the priority from day 1.

Passing yards & lots of points are what consistently wins in the modern NFL. Speed kills. 

Yet, these two clowns continue to talk about "field position" & "the weather" & "establish the run".

5 hours ago, Lv-Bills said:

Are you friggin serious?  They're tanking.  In many different forms of tank, but they're tanking.  The average teenager that reads the internet could put together a better offense.  There is no way Beane is this stupid to actually be "trying".

I'm actually giving him credit, while being pissed at the way they've done this.  Yeah, I'm saying there's no way he's this stupid.

For who exactly? 

There really isn't a "can't miss" offensive star at the top of the next draft. If they're tanking for another defensive player, then they should be fired immediately for having absolutely no grasp on the modern NFL. 

While I'd like to agree with you, stubbornness & arrogance have sunk many a man throughout human history. It appears McD & BB have an overabundance of both.