TxTech-78 UB-58. Congrats on a great season. (Ranked, 32-4 record)

PromoTheRobot

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Perk became a force in the latter half of this season. When they get in trouble, like they did when BG made it close, they go inside to Perkins and he drops the hammer or from 3-point range. It's a shame more people in WNY have to sulk over the Sabres and AB than appreciate a legit tournament contending team that carries the city's name on their chests.

Just an FYI: MAC Tournament tickets are just $34/night and they never sell out. Plus there will be a couple of Bulls parties around the arena. Why not make the 3-hour drive, or stay Friday and Saturday for, hopefully, the semis and final. I'm flying in with a buddy. #UBHornsUp

Great point about all us sour pusses agonizing over the Sabres. Agree entirely. But I am grateful to have been watching and rooting for UB for a few years now and they’ve helped ease the discontent with our pro teams. 

I’m down in DC for a couple months, otherwise I’d be happy to get to Cleveland for the tourney. My son and I will be glued to the set, though. Hard to believe the MAC tourney isn’t doing better ticket sale wise. It’s a good conference. Anyway, enjoy to heck out of it. And go Bulls! 

On 3/8/2019 at 8:10 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Nice win.  Anyone know who the Bulls have recruited for next year as yet?

A little bird I know feels that Jeenathan Williams might transfer. I hope that’s not true but I could see it.

Next year is

Durey Cadwell

Andre Allen

James Rojas

Noah Williams

There’s also last year’s transfers Gabe Grant and Antwain Johnson. They’ll both be seniors. I don’t know what to expect from them.

Really need to Jeenathan and Segu to take a big step. Noah Williams is interesting but I’m realistic that he’s a freshman. Andre Allen is the new Perkins. Cadwell is a bench player. I don’t know much about Rojas.

We’re after Raymond Hawkins. We really need him, IMO. Hawkins and Noah Williams would be a really nice recruiting class.

Edited by eanyills

On 3/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Nice article in the Buffalo News on how Perkins has matured through the years and why he comes off the bench...

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/14/ub-mens-basketball-nick-perkins-mac-tournament-ncaa-sixth-man-2019/

Becoming the sixth man

Perkins started 22 games in his first two seasons at UB, but Oats noticed how Perkins was eager. Sometimes, too eager. Perkins made mistakes, or committed early fouls that limited his playing time later in the game.

Oats and his staff figured out how to make Perkins his most effective: turn him into the first player off the bench. The sixth man.

Perkins usually watches the first few minutes of the game from the bench, and enters the game during the fourth or fifth minute. He brings an edge to the team when he steps onto the court.

In an 80-57 win against Kent State on Feb. 22, Perkins boosted an offense that, at one point, moved at a snail's crawl. The Bulls had scored 10 points in the first 9:32, and were on pace to finish with around 40 points, an uncharacteristically low total for a team that leads the MAC in scoring offense (85 points per game).

UB guard CJ Massinburg recalled how, a few minutes after Perkins entered the game and immediately told his teammates on the floor that "we've got to pick up the pace here."

"That's not like us, because we're a team that picks up a lot of points," Massinburg said. "He let us know that we needed to do a better job of that."

Then, in the final 1:15 of the first half, Perkins sparked a 10-point swing in which he scored eight of his game-high 27 points.

“At the beginning of the game, everybody can be a little eager and excited, but he gets to see how the other team is playing, how we’re playing and what he has to do,” Massinburg said of Perkins. “Every time he checks in, he gives us some kind of insight from what he sees, off the bench.”

Perkins’ maturation and unselfishness on the floor have stood out to Massinburg.

“His first couple years, he’d shoot it, no matter what happens,” Massinburg said. “But now, one thing it does for him, it opens up the floor. If we’re hitting open threes off his passes, then the double-team can’t come anymore and now he knows he can get his shots off.”

But Perkins’ fiery nature has also burned the Bulls.

EDIT: per wgrz.com

University at Buffalo announced Thursday afternoon that the college has signed the men's basketball coach to a 5-year extension with an annual salary of $837,000 which includes a base salary of $612,000 and $225,000 to be raised through philanthropic gifts designated to the men's basketball program.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Awesome news ...

but im not sure he will see the end of the deal

Are you going? I want to leave on Saturday morning by 8,my wife wants to see the rock and roll HOF in the afternoon.I don't have a hotel yet,I'll wing it and stay somewhere downtown.

7 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Are you going? I want to leave on Saturday morning by 8,my wife wants to see the rock and roll HOF in the afternoon.I don't have a hotel yet,I'll wing it and stay somewhere downtown.

Awesome have fun man! I have some family obligations that I need to tend too but I will be watching 

should be great tourney!

From the UB Ticket Office:

**Note: NEW Buffalo Ticket Table Location This Year @ Q-Arena***

Due to construction, the North side of the Quicken Loans Arena is closed.

The BUFFALO Ticket table will now be located at this new location:  

Cavs Media Entrance located near the Southeast Box Office 

At this table you will be able to pick-up:

·        Will Call orders placed via Buffalo Ticket Office

·        Player Pass List Tickets

·        Ticket Sales for walk-up customers

Tickets are held under the name that was submitted on the order form.  Only that person can pick-up the tickets. 

PHOTO ID IS REQUIRED TO PICK-UP ALL TICKETS. 

Friday, March 15 * Buffalo Game Schedule

UB Women (No. 4) vs. Central Michigan (No. 1)

Ticket Table opens @ 10:00am, Game @ 11:00am

UB Men (No. 1) vs. Central Michigan (No. 5)

Ticket Table opens @ 5:30pm, Game @ 6:30pm

·        Give yourself extra time to get past the construction zone

·        Enter at the CAVS MEDIA ENTRANCE at the Q

·        Note the ticket pick-up area is inside the Q and past the bag check area 

·        Look for the BUFFALO table

·        PHOTO ID is required for pick-up

Once the Final game(s) are confirmed for Saturday, March 16:

the ticket pick-up procedures will be one hour prior to the start of each game that BUFFALO participates in.   Use the same entrance and bring your Photo ID.

We’ll see you at the Q with your HornsUP!

35 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Awesome!  Don't forget the UB party is in the basement of Southern Tier Brewpub, 811 prospect East, about a block from the Q. There's also another UB thing at Panini's across the street.  Downtown hotels are running around $200/night. I'm staying closer to the airport for half that.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Awesome news ...

Awesome news indeed! I have to believe he will now have the time and resources to etch UB into the national conversation on a routine basis. I can even see a move to a more prominent conference eventually. 

On a side note, anybody know how his wife's recovery from cancer is going? I wonder how much the proximity to Roswell Park weighed in his decision. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Awesome news indeed! I have to believe he will now have the time and resources to etch UB into the national conversation on a routine basis. I can even see a move to a more prominent conference eventually. 

On a side note, anybody know how his wife's recovery from cancer is going? I wonder how much the proximity to Roswell Park weighed in his decision. 

They will only make the jump if it’s a full switch in football and basketball 

Major conferences hardly will take a school for basketball but not their other D1 sports

Unless you are a independent like ND

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Crystal Oats has been in remission for a while, thankfully.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Awesome news ...

He has said a couple times that he doesnt want to move his family with his wifes illness and the kids in school. The family really likes the area.  But money can definitely change things. 

Says in here it would take a lot to leave. 

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/17/ub-hoops-coach-nate-oats-buys-waterfront-dream-house/

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

15 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He has said a couple times that he doesnt want to move his family with his wifes illness and the kids in school. The family really likes the area.  But money can definitely change things. 

Says in here it would take a lot to leave. 

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/17/ub-hoops-coach-nate-oats-buys-waterfront-dream-house/

Yea but the wife can beat cancer AND IF Syracuse or Some other big program comes... 

he probably won’t be able to say no