TxTech-78 UB-58. Congrats on a great season. (Ranked, 32-4 record)

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

Nevada was ranked higher in the preseason.  Also I would probably take Fresno ST/ San Diego St/Utah ST(all in Nevada's division) over any combination of MAC teams not including UB.  UB does have a win over Syracuse, which is probably better than anything Nevada has OOC.  

Buffalo has 3 Q1 wins. Nevada has none. 

By the way, UB jumped up 4 spots to #21.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Buffalo has 3 Q1 wins. Nevada has none. 

By the way, UB jumped up 4 spots to #21.

I hear ya, but Nevada has been ranked higher all year.  They started the season ranked #6 I believe.  I am just stating the facts, the Pack will probably be a #4 seed & could go as high as a #3 seed I believe.  UB is going to be a #7 seed & could go as  high as a #6 seed imo.  

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Only massinburg has a shot to be drafted ... probably in the late second 

Harris can definitely be a rookie FA

On the women's side Cierra Dillard is a 2nd rounder in several WNBA mock drafts.

31 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

UB has been ranked 16 weeks now. 136th all-time now.

Gotta appreciate how far UB athletics has come.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Tonight could get ugly,Akron is one of the worst road teams in the country,recording just one win this season.

Not only does UB need to keep winning but they have to POUND teams into the dirt. Hate pouring it on weaker teams but it's all to send a message to the poll voters and tournament committee. (and the NET rankings too.)  Last week the Bulls two wins were by a combined 70 points. Gotta believe that helped them jump 4 spots in the polls.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Just left the game, still stuck in the parking lot. A lot closer than the final score. Crowd was fun.

Defense was pretty good. Perkins was the man tonight. Rebounded really well.

Overall though not a terribly impressive performance by Buffalo. Free throws were bad, relied too much on the three pointers.

Just now, NobesBLO13 said:

Just left the game, still stuck in the parking lot. A lot closer than the final score. Crowd was fun.

Overall though not a terribly impressive performance by Buffalo. Free throws were bad, relied too much on the three pointers.

Akron is a tough defense. But UB is too deep and too tough to hold down the full 40 minutes. Actually they have won more games coming from behind than dominating. 

Beats watching the Sabres.

3 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

They had it going on in the paint early on..why they kept trying to drain the threes at that time left me baffled.

Also....the officiating was downright horrible (both sides).

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

They had it going on in the paint early on..why they kept trying to drain the threes at that time left me baffled.

Also....the officiating was downright horrible (both sides).

Oh yeah they were awful. I swear at one point I could hear Oats yelling at one of the refs from the bleachers. 

Anyone else think wanting Oats to win Coach of the year is not necessarily a great thing? I want him to be here as long as possible without getting picked up by a big time program. The less attention on him the better.

Edited by NobesBLO13

5 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

Anyone else think wanting Oats to win Coach of the year is not necessarily a great thing? I want him to be here as long as possible without getting picked up by a big time program. The less attention on him the better.

It's too late. Oats is on everyone's radar. The good news is that Oats likes Buffalo, as long as the school shows commitment to advancing the program. Obviously a nice bump in pay is part of it, but more important right now is getting a dedicated basketball practice facility constructed.  I didn't realize that both men's and women's programs have to share Alumni Arena with intramural sports and phys ed. I'm sure the new football fieldhouse will relieve some of that strain but if UB wants to be a top-flight basketball program, they will need to upgrade facilities. Do that and Oats may stick around for a long while. He's said he'd like to build a Gonzaga. There's something to be said for becoming a Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Bobby Knight, John Thompson or Jim Boeheim...a coach that is the embodiment of a program.

Plus Oats now has a strong emotional tie to the Buffalo community as well, shorty after Oats took the job with UB his wife, Crystal, was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.  She underwent a bone marrow transplant and six rounds of chemotherapy at Roswell. 

Here is a possibly telling answer to an interview question last year about his immediate future with UB:

Did your wife’s battle with cancer affect your career and outlook on life?

Crystal was diagnosed with double hit lymphoma in the fall of 2015. It changed my perspective on many things. For much of my career, I’ve spent way too much time only on basketball, sometimes to the detriment of my relationship with my wife and family. When you’re staring death in the face, you start to evaluate what is really important in your life. And then you try to make adjustments.

The time I give my family is a whole lot more balanced now than it was three years ago. You can always watch another game tape, but at the end of the day, you’re going to win and lose games based on how your players play. It’s better to realize the importance of balance without a wake-up call, but sometimes you need it.

Maybe coaching at a smaller school affords him more time with family?  They also recently moved into a beautiful house on Grand Island.  And have 3 daughters who love living on GI.

"Crystal found her dream house," Oats said. "It's an unbelievable property. There's not much more that we'd want in a house than we got in this one."

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/17/ub-hoops-coach-nate-oats-buys-waterfront-dream-house/

pics:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/17/gallery11124/

They looked in Clarence, Williamsville and Amherst, but his kids wanted to stay on Grand Island, where they go to school. And when "this house popped up on the market, Crystal said it had everything we wanted," he said.

"After everything Crystal's been through these last few years, I was really happy she was able to find a dream house, and we could check just about every box we had," he said. "It's old, but we love old houses because they have character, with the original woodwork and all that. We're going to do a few things to kind of make it ours."

In the end, all this might not mean much as he could get an offer he just can't refuse.  But at least it's going to be a really difficult decision...

GO UB!!!!

Anyone thinking about going to the MAC tournament in Cleveland?  I have wanted to go the best several years, but I think this may be the year I go.  Horns up!

Edited by ricojes
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ricojes said:

Anyone thinking about going to the MAC tournament in Cleveland?  I have wanted to go the best several years, but I think this may be the year I go.  Horns up!

Me and a buddy are flying in Friday. There will be two "official" UB bars by the arena: Southern Tier Brewery and Panini's. Tickets are $34 per day. The MACC never sells out so you could decide at the spur of the moment to drive down from Buffalo. Let's pack that dump with UB Blue! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Me and a buddy are flying in Friday. There will be two "official" UB bars by the arena: Southern Tier Brewery and Panini's. Tickets are $34 per day. The MACC never sells out so you could decide at the spur of the moment to drive down from Buffalo. Let's pack that dump with UB Blue! 

Sweet, thanks for the info!  Even though I love a good panini, how can the Harry Buffalo not be the place to be for UB?  Plus it's a snowballs throw to the Q.  At any rate, I most likely will be there in my UB Blue!!!

4 hours ago, ricojes said:

Plus Oats now has a strong emotional tie to the Buffalo community as well, shorty after Oats took the job with UB his wife, Crystal, was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.  She underwent a bone marrow transplant and six rounds of chemotherapy at Roswell. 

Here is a possibly telling answer to an interview question last year about his immediate future with UB:

Did your wife’s battle with cancer affect your career and outlook on life?

Crystal was diagnosed with double hit lymphoma in the fall of 2015. It changed my perspective on many things. For much of my career, I’ve spent way too much time only on basketball, sometimes to the detriment of my relationship with my wife and family. When you’re staring death in the face, you start to evaluate what is really important in your life. And then you try to make adjustments.

The time I give my family is a whole lot more balanced now than it was three years ago. You can always watch another game tape, but at the end of the day, you’re going to win and lose games based on how your players play. It’s better to realize the importance of balance without a wake-up call, but sometimes you need it.

Maybe coaching at a smaller school affords him more time with family?  They also recently moved into a beautiful house on Grand Island.  And have 3 daughters who love living on GI.

"Crystal found her dream house," Oats said. "It's an unbelievable property. There's not much more that we'd want in a house than we got in this one."

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/17/ub-hoops-coach-nate-oats-buys-waterfront-dream-house/

pics:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/17/gallery11124/

They looked in Clarence, Williamsville and Amherst, but his kids wanted to stay on Grand Island, where they go to school. And when "this house popped up on the market, Crystal said it had everything we wanted," he said.

"After everything Crystal's been through these last few years, I was really happy she was able to find a dream house, and we could check just about every box we had," he said. "It's old, but we love old houses because they have character, with the original woodwork and all that. We're going to do a few things to kind of make it ours."

In the end, all this might not mean much as he could get an offer he just can't refuse.  But at least it's going to be a really difficult decision...

GO UB!!!!

Great read,thank you.I'm 50/50 on making the trip.

38 minutes ago, eball said:

UB is up to #19 this week.  Looking at the list, I think they're right about where they should be.

We just missed out on two upsets...both FSU and Wisconsin struggled on Saturday afternoon.

11 minutes ago, ricojes said:

Sweet, thanks for the info!  Even though I love a good panini, how can the Harry Buffalo not be the place to be for UB?  Plus it's a snowballs throw to the Q.  At any rate, I most likely will be there in my UB Blue!!!

Harry Buffalo was the UB HQ for years. Not sure why the change. ($$$ probably involved) But those two places aren't much further away.

Character win. They were tested and looked to be on the ropes after BG got to within one midway through the 2nd half, after being 19 down at one point in the game.

Credit to Harris who was having a rough night, was taken out for a few minutes by Oats (smart move), and then returned to help re-ignite their offense to pull away after BG got close. He made several nice plays at both ends of the floor during that key stretch.

This team plays so much better when they look for Perkins inside. He’s a force down low and has a good outside game to augment that. He’s a key for them.

Looking forward to the tourney next week. 

Edited by K-9

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Character win. They were tested and looked to be on the ropes after BG got to within one midway through the 2nd half, after being 19 down at one point in the game.

Credit to Harris who was having a rough night, was taken out for a few minutes by Oats (smart move), and then returned to help re-ignite their offense to pull away after BG got close. He made several nice plays at both ends of the floor during that key stretch.

This team plays so much better when they look for Perkins inside. He’s a force down low and has a good outside game to augment that. He’s a key for them.

Looking forward to the tourney next week. 

Perk became a force in the latter half of this season. When they get in trouble, like they did when BG made it close, they go inside to Perkins and he drops the hammer or from 3-point range. It's a shame more people in WNY have to sulk over the Sabres and AB than appreciate a legit tournament contending team that carries the city's name on their chests.

Just an FYI: MAC Tournament tickets are just $34/night and they never sell out. Plus there will be a couple of Bulls parties around the arena. Why not make the 3-hour drive, or stay Friday and Saturday for, hopefully, the semis and final. I'm flying in with a buddy. #UBHornsUp