College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I dont have a dog in the fight, but this has been a great game to watch. 

No kidding.  I was watching in a pub having dinner, but wish I could have focused on the game more.  Can't remember the last time I saw someone perfectly hit the bottom of the twine as many times from long range as often as that kid from Purdue -- unreal.

TT smoking Michigan at the moment...

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Lets Go Ducks!!! ? Shock the Nation!!! 

The Ducks played well.

Virginia is a very good finisher though.

Not happy their threes aren't dropping and they got nothing from the bench tonight.

geez this game is unable to provide much talent, even in showcase games

no inside game

no shooting game, they can't find more than one kid who can shoot 3s?

i guess the future depends on Euro kids

CBSSN just showed me the end of the UCF/Duke game. I didn’t think it could make me feel just as ill the second time around.

I was wrong.....

(I like Zion, but he was not fouled on the last drive.) 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

CBSSN just showed me the end of the UCF/Duke game. I didn’t think it could make me feel just as ill the second time around.

I was wrong.....

(I like Zion, but he was not fouled on the last drive.) 

Reminded me of a Pats* win

Let me explain why Michigan got run off the court. In a word NO.J Simpson. (Zavier Simpson). Beliein's system is dependent upon a PG able to knock down shots/penetrate/kick. They do not have reIaible dribble drive wings. It was Izzo who first employed the tactic of falling back off Simpson at the 3 pt line. Hate to give him credit, but must. Teams dared Simpson to shoot and he couldn't and worse WOULDN'T. Beilein has ALWAYS had a PG, but unfortunately Simpson not only didn't improve, but actually regressed as the season wore on. His failure was magnified by the fact that they didn't have a secondary ball handler(They had a guy named Adbur Rahkman last season). So while everyone is likely to return, it's gonna be the same story if freshman Dejulius doesn't improve or they can't find a suitable alternative elsewhere.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Let me explain why Michigan got run off the court. In a word NO.J Simpson. (Zavier Simpson). Beliein's system is dependent upon a PG able to knock down shots/penetrate/kick. They do not have rely on dribble drive wings. It was Izzo who first employed the tactic of falling back off Simpson at the 3 pt line. Hate to give him credit, but must. Teams dared Simpson to shoot and he couldn't and worse WOULDN'T. Beilein has ALWAYS had a PG, but unfortunately Simpson not only didn't improve, but actually regressed as the season wore on. His failure was magnified by the fact that they didn't have a secondary ball handler(They had a guy named Adbur Rahkman last season). So while everyone is likely to return, it's gonna be same story if freshman Dejulius doesn't improve or they can't find a suitable alternative elsewhere.

I think a better explanation why they got run off the court is the tenacious defense played by one of the best defensive teams in the game. Holding your opponent to 16 points in a half and 44 for the game suggests a dominance that a good point guard, while mitigating it some, wouldn’t have made much of a difference. 

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think a better explanation why they got run off the court is the tenacious defense played by one of the best defensive teams in the game. Holding your opponent to 16 points in a half and 44 for the game suggests a dominance that a good point guard, while mitigating it some, wouldn’t have made much of a difference. 

That is a simplistic explanation. Nowhere did I suggest that Texas Tech didn't have a dominant defense. As I said, Beilein's system requires A LOT from the point guard. They hid him for awhile, but couldn't do so against the big dogs. If you don't think Derrick Walton or Trey Burke would have made a difference, you don't know much about Beilein's system or Michigan basketball.

Simpson made Davide Moretti, Tech's only defensive liability, look like Aaron Kroft.

If Michigan had wings that could penetrate, yes it would have made a difference. Unfortunately, the offense is heavily reliant on the PG to penetrate/shoot/kick.

Zavier Simpson had 0 POINTS, 1 ASSIST, 4 TURNOVERS, and ONE rebound. Davide Moretti had 15 points, 4 assists, and ZERO turnovers. Point guard play was the ultimate difference in that game. Period. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

That is a simplistic explanation. Nowhere did I suggest that Texas Tech didn't have a dominant defense. As I said, Beilein's system requires A LOT from the point guard. They hid him for awhile, but couldn't do so against the big dogs. If you don't think Derrick Walton or Trey Burke would have made a difference, you don't know much about Beilein's system or college hoops in general.

Simpson made Davide Moretti, Tech's only defensive liability, look like Aaron Kroft.

If Michigan had wings that could penetrate, yes it would have made a difference. Unfortunately, the offense is heavily reliant on the PG to penetrate/shoot/kick.

Zavier Simpson had 0 POINTS, 1 ASSIST, 4 TURNOVERS, and ONE rebound. Davide Moretti had 15 points, 4 assists, and ZERO turnovers. Point guard play was the ultimate difference in that game. Period. 

Defensive much?  Take a friceken chill pill. 

In the meantime, I suggest you rewatch TT’s perimeter defense. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Defensive much?  Take a friceken chill pill. 

In the meantime, I suggest you rewatch TT’s perimeter defense. 

I've been harping about NO.J Simpson all season. I knew his timidity and inability to shoot was going to cost us a chance at a title. So I may be a bit defensive.?

But if you watch the perimeter defense in THAT particular game, they left Simpson alone at the 3 PT line(brilliant by Beard who's a tremendous coach) which made it that much more difficult for the wings to find solid shots against a GREAT defense. I'm taking nothing away from Texas Tech. I'm still lamenting the fact that my guys lost in such ugly fashion and I wasn't surprised by the main culprit.(Other than the opponent of course.)

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I've been harping about NO.J Simpson all season. I knew his timidity and inability to shoot was going to cost us a chance at a title. So I may be a bit defensive.?

But if you watch the perimeter defense in THAT particular game, they left Simpson alone at the 3 PT line(brilliant by Beard who's a tremendous coach) which made it that much more difficult for the wings to find solid shots against a GREAT defense. I'm taking nothing away from Texas Tech. I'm still lamenting the fact that my guys lost in such ugly fashion and I wasn't surprised by the main culprit.(Other than the opponent of course.)

I can certainly relate to my guys losing in such ugly fashion. It’s never easy.

Anyway, TT is gonna be a tough out for anybody.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

That is a simplistic explanation. Nowhere did I suggest that Texas Tech didn't have a dominant defense. As I said, Beilein's system requires A LOT from the point guard. They hid him for awhile, but couldn't do so against the big dogs. If you don't think Derrick Walton or Trey Burke would have made a difference, you don't know much about Beilein's system or Michigan basketball.

Michigan has been building a steady program and Beilein is a great coach

but he needs to adapt his recruiting if he only relies on a PG for dribble drive success... a great coach will find that weakness and exploit 

how can he not recruit wings who can penetrate? It’s big10 basketball 

Yea SU struggled with PG play this year... not what we have been used to For decades so I understand the pain lol

but Boeheim always gets wings who can create at any space and get to the rim . So that can help take some pressure off the point

Beilein should do the same 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Michigan has been building a steady program and Beilein is a great coach

but he needs to adapt his recruiting if he only relies on a PG for dribble drive success... a great coach will find that weakness and exploit 

how can he not recruit wings who can penetrate? It’s big10 basketball 

Yea SU struggled with PG play this year... not what we have been used to For decades so I understand the pain lol

but Boeheim always gets wings who can create at any space and get to the rim . So that can help take some pressure off the point

Beilein should do the same 

Some of the recruits just didn't pan out. They had one ball handler and that was Simpson. What they were really missing this year was an alternate guy like Muhammed Ali Adbur Rahkman from last season. I agree that Beilein needs to adjust and believe that he will. We've just had such tremendous success with point guards(Morris went to the NBA, Trey Burke was POY, and Derrick Walton was terrific. This year, the failure of the young potential ball handlers to step up and Simpson not playing well did them in. I have high hopes for a freshman PG named David Dejulius. This was a really tough L as I'm as big a Michigan basketball fan as I am a Bills fan. But life goes on! I was just venting a bit at my frustration with Simpson. I know he's a great kid so I hate to criticize so vehemently some 21 year old guy playing his heart out.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Some of the recruits just didn't pan out. They had one ball handler and that was Simpson. What they were really missing this year was an alternate guy like Muhammed Ali Adbur Rahkman from last season. I agree that Beilein needs to adjust and believe that he will. We've just had such tremendous success with point guards(Morris went to the NBA, Trey Burke was POY, and Derrick Walton was terrific. This year, the failure of the young potential ball handlers to step up and Simpson not playing well did them in. I have high hopes for a freshman PG named David Dejulius. This was a really tough L as I'm as big a Michigan basketball fan as I am a Bills fan. But life goes on! I was just venting a bit at my frustration with Simpson. I know he's a great kid so I hate to criticize so vehemently some 21 year old guy playing his heart out.

I hear you. I can’t really bad mouth them... they are playing their hearts out 

and I do love UB athletics and SU basketball as much as the Bills too. I have grown up with all... I hate when they lose

You guys will be fine with Beilein.. he understands guards win in March like Boeheim... you mentioned Morris , Burke and Walton... having very good PGs consistently can make you spoiled

SU has gone through Gerry McNamara, Jonny Flynn, Michael carter Williams and Tyler Ennis.. with a bunch of other good ones

it spoils you

• Thank you (+1) 1