College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

OK, due to travel I missed an unusual amount of the early tournament. Those early upsets are cool. But I don’t remember so many crazy great games being so close in the later rounds. 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

The player who  knocks it out never gets the call. Who might have touched it last is ignored. Except for tonight. 

The lesson, as always:  replay ruins sports.

Kudos to UVA — they just wouldn’t let themselves be put away in the tournament.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah it’s pretty ridiculous.  There’s way too much “our schitt doesn’t stink” coming out of Charlottesville.  I’d say one of their problems with recruiting is that they have a head coach who doesn’t like offense.

Just stupid.

What "came out of Charlottesville" is a national championship, this year, from an incredibly well coached, talented team that lost a total of four ACC games the last two years.

Ya...He doesn't like offense, and he just won the national championship.

So proud of this team and this program.

8 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah it’s pretty ridiculous.  There’s way too much “our schitt doesn’t stink” coming out of Charlottesville.  I’d say one of their problems with recruiting is that they have a head coach who doesn’t like offense.

Their offense was literally #2 in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency. There’s a difference between not liking offense and playing at a slow pace. I’d kill for Syracuse to get a coach that can get his team to score the way Bennett does. If UVA can keep Bennett there, they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with for awhile. 

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

Just stupid.

What "came out of Charlottesville" is a national championship, this year, from an incredibly well coached, talented team that lost a total of four ACC games the last two years.

Ya...He doesn't like offense, and he just won the national championship.

So proud of this team and this program.

I didn't say you shouldn't be proud of the team and championship.  I just don't like many (most?) of their fans and their snootiness.

Bennett has had a huge problem with developing a team that could play in the tournament.  Even this year (and again, congrats) look what they had to do to win it?  Some unbelievable (and unbelievably lucky) circumstances.

The guy who won this for you was, ironically, Guy.  Congrats.

Not going to bother quoting this nonsense.

It is a great group of kids on a great team coached by a truly great guy,  that just won a national championship after winning their conference twice.

Virginia is never going to get the kids that Duke or UNC Chape Hill get. 

I lived in Raleigh during the Laettner years and loved those programs.

It is completely different now.

Virginia still does is right, and I am immensely proud of my home town team. 

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Not going to bother quoting this nonsense.

It is a great group of kids on a great team coached by a truly great guy,  that just won a national championship after winning their conference twice.

Virginia is never going to get the kids that Duke or UNC Chape Hill get. 

I lived in Raleigh during the Laettner years and loved those programs.

It is completely different now.

Virginia still does is right, and I am immensely proud of my home town team. 

Coach K has become a shell of his former self (as a coach).  It's awful.

I'd argue that UNC still "does it right" as well -- their 2017 championship is a testament to that, as well as this year's team.  Yes, they wound up with two 1-and-done players but one of them didn't even start and the other just exploded beyond what anyone expected.

Don't get me wrong -- I really like Bennett and the type of program he runs.  I have been critical of him in the past because his teams falter during the tournament.  It is legitimate criticism.  Virginia does recruit high level talent, however -- they aren't the "sad sack, we just take the lemons and make lemonade" sort of program I think you're characterizing them to be.  I actually think the style Bennett coaches can be a detriment in recruiting highly skilled offensive players, though.

So we get past this -- I liked Virginia's team and congratulate them on getting over the hump.  I like Bennett.  I don't like many Virginia alumni and fans.

Did the guy with the 300k futures ticket on Texas Tech hedge by betting 100-150k on UVA ? 

Last I heard he wanted 65k before Mich State game and turned down 50k from Dez Bryant to “let it ride” 

Id wanna kill myself this morning if I didn’t hedge.  

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Their offense was literally #2 in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency. There’s a difference between not liking offense and playing at a slow pace. I’d kill for Syracuse to get a coach that can get his team to score the way Bennett does. If UVA can keep Bennett there, they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with for awhile. 

I'd start with getting a coach who can get Syracuse to defend the way Bennett does first. It all starts on that end of the floor. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I'd start with getting a coach who can get Syracuse to defend the way Bennett does first. It all starts on that end of the floor. 

Syracuse is fine defensively; always among the top 10-20 teams in that regard. But the offense has been consistently atrocious ever since the sanctions we got a little while back.

17 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Syracuse is fine defensively; always among the top 10-20 teams in that regard. But the offense has been consistently atrocious ever since the sanctions we got a little while back.

I agree. My point was that Bennett’s offensive game is largely predicated on his defensive schemes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

Coach K has become a shell of his former self (as a coach).  It's awful.

I'd argue that UNC still "does it right" as well -- their 2017 championship is a testament to that, as well as this year's team.  Yes, they wound up with two 1-and-done players but one of them didn't even start and the other just exploded beyond what anyone expected.

Don't get me wrong -- I really like Bennett and the type of program he runs.  I have been critical of him in the past because his teams falter during the tournament.  It is legitimate criticism.  Virginia does recruit high level talent, however -- they aren't the "sad sack, we just take the lemons and make lemonade" sort of program I think you're characterizing them to be.  I actually think the style Bennett coaches can be a detriment in recruiting highly skilled offensive players, though.

So we get past this -- I liked Virginia's team and congratulate them on getting over the hump.  I like Bennett.  I don't like many Virginia alumni and fans.

You grossly misstate any claim on who Virginia recruits. They aren't lemons or sad sacks, and nobody ever said they were.

Kyle Guy was Indiana's "Mr. Basketball."

Bennett runs a great program. When (last) head coach Dave Leitao was running the program you wouldn't want your wife or kids within 15 rows of the bench. Gross profanity. Coach K was like that as well, but may have settled down.

Not like that at all now, and it goes well beyond the court.

Bennett runs an intelligent, hustling pack line defense, which is basically a combination scheme, and it really works when played well.

They have stumbled in the tournament in the past, and this is the first year they've gone into it without serious health issues.

Great program. Great coach.

National champions.

30 minutes ago, sherpa said:

You grossly misstate any claim on who Virginia recruits. They aren't lemons or sad sacks, and nobody ever said they were.

Kyle Guy was Indiana's "Mr. Basketball."

Bennett runs a great program. When (last) head coach Dave Leitao was running the program you wouldn't want your wife or kids within 15 rows of the bench. Gross profanity. Coach K was like that as well, but may have settled down.

Not like that at all now, and it goes well beyond the court.

Bennett runs an intelligent, hustling pack line defense, which is basically a combination scheme, and it really works when played well.

They have stumbled in the tournament in the past, and this is the first year they've gone into it without serious health issues.

Great program. Great coach.

National champions.

Congratulations.

there are lots of programs that do it right tho . UVA not the exception 

Guy, Jerome and Hunter could play anywhere in the country

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Congratulations.

there are lots of programs that do it right tho . UVA not the exception 

Guy, Jerome and Hunter could play anywhere in the country

Yeah, and this is what I'm talking about when it comes to UVA fans.  Even when I extend the olive branch in my post above in this thread he can't just accept the congrats and move on...he has to keep preaching.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah, and this is what I'm talking about when it comes to UVA fans.  Even when I extend the olive branch in my post above in this thread he can't just accept the congrats and move on...he has to keep preaching.

Virginia won, and it wasn't meant to be personal.  Let's talk about something really of concern, like how good UB is going to be next year.