Peterman Pick after early hit on Zay Jones?

I have looked at this play several times and understand the rule as to why it's not a PI on a rub route that needs to be 1 yard past the LOS to be "true" PI. This is damn near close to 1 yard past the sticks and debatable but whatever. 

What I don't understand is if the league is truly trying to protect it's players how the hell is this still not called for hit on a defenseless WR or helmet to helmet foul? At the 3 second mark Zay gets destroyed from behind while the ball is in the air 2.5 yards away from him. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I have looked at this play several times and understand the rule as to why it's not a PI on a rub route that needs to be 1 yard past the LOS to be "true" PI. This is damn near close to 1 yard past the sticks and debatable but whatever. 

What I don't understand is if the league is truly trying to protect it's players how the hell is this still not called for hit on a defenseless WR or helmet to helmet foul? At the 3 second mark Zay gets destroyed from behind while the ball is in the air 2.5 yards away from him. 

I was screaming PI by the defense.  He hit him too early.  

36 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Looks bang bang to me in any case.

it maybe. but that doesn't nullify the early hit. 

All turnovers must be reviewed by the NFL.  

The NFL is interesting. Every year we see a call that just doesn’t seem right. This is one of them. I don’t believe the rules committee intended this particular rule to be applied as it was on this play and I’m hoping that the Bills bring it up if and when they have the chance. This is clearly pass interference. It wasn’t a rub route or a pick play. The frozen picture shows that the two players were nowhere near any other players so the fact that it was within a yard of the scrimmage line should be ruled irrelevant.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I see the hit 2-3 yards away from Zay, not bang bang.

Zay.JPG

The point is that it doesn't matter.  He could have tackled him with the ball five yards away and it would not have been interference.  In fact, there is nothing the defender could have done to make it pass interference because pass interference does not exist within a yard of the line of scrimmage.  If the defender did tackle him, it could be called holding...but not PI.  It could have been called a defenseless receiver, but I think that the point of the rule is that someone who catches it within a yard of the line of scrimmage is like a runner...and should expect contact....and therefore, not defenseless.  If he IS defenseless, it is because of a stupid decision by the quarterback to essentially throw a screen when the screen is covered.

5 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

The point is that it doesn't matter.  He could have tackled him with the ball five yards away and it would not have been interference.  In fact, there is nothing the defender could have done to make it pass interference because pass interference does not exist within a yard of the line of scrimmage.  If the defender did tackle him, it could be called holding...but not PI.  It could have been called a defenseless receiver, but I think that the point of the rule is that someone who catches it within a yard of the line of scrimmage is like a runner...and should expect contact....and therefore, not defenseless.  If he IS defenseless, it is because of a stupid decision by the quarterback to essentially throw a screen when the screen is covered.

All true. But...I still say this particular play is not the condition that the rule is intended for and I hope they tweak it. 

50 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I see the hit 2-3 yards away from Zay, not bang bang.

Zay.JPG

The ball was also tipped at the line. So the pass could have been 20 yards down the field and it still wouldn’t have been pass interference.

We’re all missing the point though - which is that God obviously hates Nathan Peterman.

The ball is tipped up in the air by Zay’s forearm...just high enough for a roaming defender with a free lane to the end zone to easily pluck it and run in for the Pick 6 untouched.

As bad as Peterman may be, it is truly mind-boggling how snakebit he is.

8 minutes ago, Talonz said:

I don't know..Even with an explanation it still makes no sense to me...

If it was a fumble, sure, but I don't recall ever seeing a defender being able to legally steamroll a receiver while the ball is in the air.   

Agree. As I’ve said this is NOT the intent of this rule and it needs to be tweaked. I guarantee the defender doesn’t know the rule. He was simply trying to jump the route against a pathetic quarterback and got there too early.  

i love the defenders of the NFL when things like this happen. How about the no call when peterman got slapped in the head?  Defend your pos NfL on that, Or the MANY times our Dline men get held. Love how the refs “miss” all that but were able to determine where the player was in the blink of an eye. OK. As some like to say about the Bills, keep drinking the NFL’s koolaid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

i love the defenders of the NFL when things like this happen. How about the no call when peterman got slapped in the head?  Defend your pos NfL on that, Or the MANY times our Dline men get held. Love how the refs “miss” all that but were able to determine where the player was in the blink of an eye. OK. As some like to say about the Bills, keep drinking the NFL’s koolaid. 

Peterman got hit in the head twice. Both no calls. I’ve never seen that not called in the NFL. And it happened twice.

Snakebit.