Coffee Aficionados?

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am a K Cup guy now...and get whatever dark roast is on sale at the Costco

40 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Reusable kcup with some Maxwell House and simply pure caramel creamer all day 

I tried to talk my wife into getting a smaller Keurig machine for the house.  Sometimes you just want one quick cup of coffee, and don’t want to bother making and wasting a whole pot.

She was not interested due to the plastic waste involved.  Apparently, whales get them caught in their blow holes or something ?

went K-cup at home for over a year (enjoy it at work the last 8 or so)

not as good as I can get it at home for fresh ground beans

and the thing broke after 20 months, they offered a 33% discount on my next purchase (not happening)

I would start by visiting some nice coffee houses locally. You need to know what you like first!

It's like wine, there are all sorts of notes you can taste in good coffee. 

The french press isn't rocket science. Learn to use it! 

Anyway, my #1 would be Ka'u Peaberry. That was a once a week treat.  

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I just tried Peete's for the fist time.  But I got the French Roast.  Wasn't that big of a fan of it.  However, I really liked how finely ground their beans were through.  Almost to a powder.  I will give the Italian a try next.  If I don't like the first two types of a brand I try, I will probably move on from the brand at that point. 

Types I do like and buy often, pretty basic stuff:  Tim Hortons Original, Dunkin Donuts Original, and Eight O'Clock Coffee Original (which I think is very underrated).  Still looking for my real go to one as well as I will buy a lot of random stuff to try and find something that stands out above the rest, an elusive task at this point.

I didn't care that much for Peete's French roast either. Hope you like the Italian

25 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm back on this topic........

If you haven't had good pour-over coffee, find a local shop that does it and try it. I have my own kettle and glass filter holder.......it's awesome stuff.

Could you provide a link to the “apparatus” involved?  I recall my mother making coffee this way when I was a kid.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i am a K Cup guy now...and get whatever dark roast is on sale at the Costco

Till recently, there were no Costco's in NYS.  Now thay have one in the Rochester area and also Syracuse.  Anyone in BUF is SOL  We joined when we lived in Seattle.  Since leaving the NW, never lived closer than 25 miiles, but we still go.  Actually, in Richmond they are both close to Wegmans, so it works.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I tried to talk my wife into getting a smaller Keurig machine for the house.  Sometimes you just want one quick cup of coffee, and don’t want to bother making and wasting a whole pot.

She was not interested due to the plastic waste involved.  Apparently, whales get them caught in their blow holes or something ?

I have a K cup which is a great solution for me because I am the only coffee drinker in the house and if I had to make it a pot at a time I'd end up like Tweak on South Park....

Anyway, I was not a big fan of the plastic waste, nor of the cost for pods and solved both by getting the reusable k-cup - great solution. I have no waste except for the grounds and even a pricier bag of beans is less expensive per cup than most pods.

BTW - I love stronger dark roast and will also recommend Peet's Italian or French roast. Trader Joe's also has some decent dark roasts - the Bay Blend is listed as "ultra dark" is pretty good and affordable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My wife usually buys the cheap Price Chopper Dark roast, but I’d like to expand my horizons a little bit and I’m not afraid to spend money to get good quality.  Anyone get their coffee online?  If so, any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Also, any recommendations as to different types of coffee.  My wife and I loved Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee when we were on our honeymoon in Negril.  We ended up buying a few pounds while we were there but got ripped off...stuff was like sawdust when we opened it.  lol

We tend to gravitate toward the darkest types of coffee.  Love espresso.  Thanks in advance for the tips!

Where do you live? The public market here in Rochester sells some legit coffee. Ethiopian, Guatemalan etc. Stuff is legit vs the name brand store bought garbage 

11 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Where do you live? The public market here in Rochester sells some legit coffee. Ethiopian, Guatemalan etc. Stuff is legit vs the name brand store bought garbage 

Rural Vermont.  We got Price Chopper and Hannefords.  Hannefords actually has a pretty good selection, but I was looking for something online that freshly roasts the beans just before they ship.  Peet’s looks like a good option.  I’ve been researching their website.

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

No doubt Java's sells great coffee but Don doesn't put the same TLC into roasting the beans as Joe did. Definitely noticed a difference since Joe died.

40 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't be a coffee snob, it's unbecoming & psychopathic.

Be man and invest in one of these:

81F0d2wZ6qL._SL1500_.jpg

And a can of:

834a27c05deaf40dcf034e11a61cd4cb.jpg

Put hair on your chest...

Anyway, I don't touch the sc hit.  You wanna see me hopped up on coffee/caffeine????

Wife & Daughter are coffee snobs, that's bad enough!

I don’t want any more hair on my chest.  Why would you suggest that?  That’s symptomatic of a psychopath.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My wife usually buys the cheap Price Chopper Dark roast, but I’d like to expand my horizons a little bit and I’m not afraid to spend money to get good quality.  Anyone get their coffee online?  If so, any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Also, any recommendations as to different types of coffee.  My wife and I loved Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee when we were on our honeymoon in Negril.  We ended up buying a few pounds while we were there but got ripped off...stuff was like sawdust when we opened it.  lol

We tend to gravitate toward the darkest types of coffee.  Love espresso.  Thanks in advance for the tips!

Jamacian Blue whole roasted beans are fabulous. My SIL is on a cruise right now and stopping in Jamaica - bringing us back 5# of the good stuff!  We are going to Jamaica in January, and I plan on getting at least 10#. We have literally run off the ship, purchased our coffee stash and been back in our stateroom in 30 minutes in the past. Jamaica is not my favorite stop, regardless of the port town. But for great coffee beans at less than half price of online? I'll suck it up.

I'm not sure what kind of coffeemaker you have. We have a techninvorm moccamaster, and use a breville coffee grinder. It made a huge difference in the brew.  

Or, get a French press.  I am not a French press fan (too lazy), but to many that is the best way to make coffee.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't be a coffee snob, it's unbecoming & psychopathic.

Be man and invest in one of these:

81F0d2wZ6qL._SL1500_.jpg

We have one of those for camping....it works great over the camp stove!   Still brought the Peet's of course.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Get the Keurig and the reusable cup. No plastic, happy wife, happy whales.

• Like (+1) 1

the basics i use for french press is 2TBS per 6 ounces of water. pour the just below boiling water over the grounds, stir it up, let it steep for 4 minutes then plunge.  Seems to work well for me

18 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don't know.  I probably should watch a youtube video or something ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t want any more hair on my chest.  Why would you suggest that?  That’s symptomatic of a psychopath.  

I smile because I still use one at times on the weekend.  The Revere ware pot in which my mother made my dad's morning coffee for years. With a shot glass to cover the spout.

I know, I know you're not supposed to. But do it right and it doesn't burn or turn bitter.  And nothing beats the aroma, no matter what brand of coffee you use. It fills the house.

And invariably when someone stops over on a Sat. morning, I'll hear "Damn, Jimmy, this is some serious gourmet *****. Me and Vince would have been happy with freeze dried Folgers and you spring this serious gourmet ***** on us.'"

Anyway, to your original post, I like this:

http://www.bluejazzjava.com/rimshot-blend-2-lb/

Nice, distinct flavor, no bitterness. I haven't tried their espresso.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1