McDermott's Judgement on offense is impaired.

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

^^^

Isn't part of the OC's job to evaluate the talent available to his offense?  How can an experienced offensive coordinator NOT recognize that Nate Peterman's very serious physical limitations make him a questionable backup for even the most experienced, durable QB playing behind a great OL, much less for a team without even a solid OL, a non-NFL caliber WR corps, and an anemic running game?  How can a competent OC name Peterman the starter at the beginning of the season when his teammates are not behind him?  How could Daboll not "feel" that the team wasn't behind Peterson despite his supposedly good preseason showing?  If Daboll is responsible for these decisions, then he's incompetent to be a NFL OC.  If Daboll's opinion on offensive players' talent and likelihood for success is being trumped by McDermott or somebody else in the Bills FO, this team is so dysfunctional that bringing in another OC -- if anyone would be desperate enough to take the position -- would be useless.

Show me one quote from one player before the regular season where they weren’t behind Peterman.  The guy completed 80% of his passes and clearly won the competition.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2018 at 8:58 AM, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

The big ? is do they know how to draft talent on the offensive side of the ball. We can see a dominant defense being built and that's awesome. Now will they make the right moves and actually get our offense to be at least competent. O line and WR's can be difficult to draft and sometimes you get great value outside of the first rd and get huge busts in the first. Free agency can be a slippery slope and you can easily over pay. 

Nothing in our front offices track record so far has shown they know how to stack offensive personnel and that needs to be addressed heavily this offseason.

Time will tell. Right now I think They need to fire the OC but then they are still going to be spinning the wheel of inconsistency 

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Show me one quote from one player before the regular season where they weren’t behind Peterman.  The guy completed 80% of his passes and clearly won the competition.

The fact they stuck with Peterman and thought there was any chance that he's be a serviceable starting NFL QB is all I need to know.....  Oh and starting him vs. LA last year....

On 10/20/2018 at 12:59 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

Um we traded Watkins before he could walk on us. None of the three had any interest in signing with TT as QB.  Way to twist things though.

If they picked his 5th year option up guess what Watkins is STILL here so who is twisting?

McDermott is already working on his plan B, he's known as early as last year after the Peterman debacle that he's in over his head as a HC, he's putting all his eggs into his defensive basket in the hopes of fielding a top 5 D that will get him another DC job and he'll be able to draw fat NFL pay checks for another 3-5 years.

Yes I wear a tin foil hat, buts that's just between me and the aliens, but I'm convinced of McDerotts plan!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, twist_to_open said:

McDermott is already working on his plan B, he's known as early as last year after the Peterman debacle that he's in over his head as a HC, he's putting all his eggs into his defensive basket in the hopes of fielding a top 5 D that will get him another DC job and he'll be able to draw fat NFL pay checks for another 3-5 years.

Yes I wear a tin foil hat, buts that's just between me and the aliens, but I'm convinced of McDerotts plan!

If today against the Colts was a sign of McD's true D then he better look into colleges for coaching jobs. I hear the University of Process has an opening.

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you serious?  Actions speak much louder than words, and in the first half of the season opener against Baltimore, the Bills played so poorly on offense that McDermott started Allen in the second half but you can pretend that that wasn't a clear message of how the team felt about Peterman if you want. 

30 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Are you serious?  Actions speak much louder than words, and in the first half of the season opener against Baltimore, the Bills played so poorly on offense that McDermott started Allen in the second half but you can pretend that that wasn't a clear message of how the team felt about Peterman if you want. 

He played very poorly which is why he was benched.  It wasn’t because the team wasn’t behind him from the get go.  Seriously?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He played very poorly which is why he was benched.  It wasn’t because the team wasn’t behind him from the get go.  Seriously?

Peterman is an enigma. I just don't get him. He's a practice superstar and he lulls you into believing he can be a competent QB. Then the real game starts and he morphs into this bumbling mess. I don't blame the coaches for giving him a shot after the pre-season, but not having a plan B or a proven vet has been costly.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/19/2018 at 8:38 AM, BillsRdue said:

And to think, McCoy was McD's #1 choice for OC last year, then comes Dennison, now DaBoll. This really makes me think that this FO and HC have no clue as to how to approach the offensive side of the ball. I hope I am wrong and DaBoll proves with Anderson that his scheme will work with marginal QB talent as long as it is executed. After seeing Rosen get obliterated last night, it's a good thing that Allen can take a few weeks to recover and get some insight.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-fire-mike-mccoy-after-humiliating-effort-against-broncos-byron-leftwich-named-oc/

Edit:  I added case history from a later post for sake of discussion.

Here's our case history:

#1 - wants Mike McCoy as his OC - is turned down. (McCoy sh*ts the bed in Arizona and is fired)

#2 - hires Rico Dennison

#3 - passes on Patrick Mahomes

#4 - lets Goodwin, Woods, Watkins walk- drafts Zay Jones.

#5 - has a roster with 2 FB's ( DiMarco and Tolbert) and no dominant run game

#6 - goes into the season with Tyrod and Peterman

#7 - starts Peterman in playoff race- He throws 5 INT in ONE HALF- benched.

#8 - brings in Kelvin Benjamin as the WR savior

#9 - scores 3 points in a playoff game.

#10 - fires Rico, hires Dab

#11- loses 3 OL, brings in Newhouse, Bodine - starts Miller, Groy and Ducasse

#12 - fills WR needs with Foster, McCloud, Proehl, cuts Streater, keeps Holmes

#13 - brings in McCarron as his shiny new QB, passes on Bridgewater.

#14- ships McCarron out for a 5th

#15- starts Peterman a second time and gets his ass spanked 47-3

#16- forced to start his rookie and does not prepare for a backup plan in case of emergency.

#17-finds his QB in Derek Anderson who hasn't played in a meaningful game in 7 years.

And I am sure other posters can add to this growing list. This topic is meant to discuss whether we believe McDermott is capable of making any decisions that will lead to improvement on the offensive side of the ball. So far the offense has regressed into a shell of an already weak unit. 

With cap space and draft picks next year can we even trust that this FO can make the right moves.

You have stated a strong case.  McDermott should stay as far away from the offense as possible.   Throw what ever money is needled to get a first class offensive coordinator that can develop a quarterback and then keep McDermott out of the way. 

On 10/19/2018 at 7:48 PM, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I hate autocorrect.  I think the people that code that are just screwing with us.  "Look, if they type in 'form', it autocorrects to 'fart'.  Giggle, giggle."

But it makes for some great grammar police trolls!  :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 7:24 AM, BillsRdue said:

Because the said OC was the #1 choice of our HC. This topic is about McDermott's ability to make intelligent decisions on the offensive side of the ball.

Here's our case history:

#1 - wants Mike McCoy as his OC - is turned down. (McCoy sh*ts the bed in Arizona and is fired)

#2 - hires Rico Dennison

#3 - passes on Patrick Mahomes

#4 - lets Goodwin, Woods, Watkins walk- drafts Zay Jones.

#5 - has a roster with 2 FB's ( DiMarco and Tolbert) and no dominant run game

#6 - goes into the season with Tyrod and Peterman

#7 - starts Peterman in playoff race- He throws 5 INT in ONE HALF- benched.

#8 - brings in Kelvin Benjamin as the WR savior

#9 - scores 3 points in a playoff game.

#10 - fires Rico, hires Dab

#11- loses 3 OL, brings in Newhouse, Bodine - starts Miller, Groy and Ducasse

#12 - fills WR needs with Foster, McCloud, Proehl, cuts Streater, keeps Holmes

#13 - brings in McCarron as his shiny new QB, passes on Bridgewater.

#14- ships McCarron out for a 5th

#15- starts Peterman a second time and gets his ass spanked 47-3

#16- forced to start his rookie and does not prepare for a backup plan in case of emergency.

#17-finds his QB in Derek Anderson who hasn't played in a meaningful game in 7 years.

And I am sure other posters can add to this growing list. This topic is meant to discuss whether we believe McDermott is capable of making any decisions that will lead to improvement on the offensive side of the ball. So far the offense has regressed into a shell of an already weak unit. 

With cap space and draft picks next year can we even trust that this FO can make the right moves.

Other mistakes:

Drafting Josh Allen and standing pat with him as the franchise QB may be the next mistake. We, unfortunately, need to draft another QB in this upcoming draft. 

Trading up for their targets in the draft, losing out on potential depth. Lost two 2nd rounders to get Josh Allen. A third to get Edmunds. A third to get Zay Jones, after passing on Mahomes. 

Basing their assessments on getting a McBeane kind of player.

Of course, it's easy being a GM after the fact, but it's hard to give these guys credit for much that's been good, based on performance. I don't think getting rid of McCarron was a mistake. Keeping only two QBs from the start was. Anderson is better suited for the Bills than McCarron IMO. Just way too late bringing him in.

• Like (+1) 1