Bullitt - 50 years ago today

Ten years ago, I hoped to have a toy loving coworker buy the 2008 version used off me after a year or so of indulging my midlife crisis / testosterone poisoning.  He was already paying for a Mustang GT and some overbuilt F-150, so my dream (and insurance premium) stayed grounded.  Probably all for the best.

The only car chase that rivals this classic is the one in Ronin.  If you haven't seen it, it's quite exceptional in technical execution.  In some ways, the Ronin chase beats Bullitt for two reasons:

1.  Considering the complexity of the scenes, zero CGI was used.  Real cars, real drivers.    

2.  While Bullitt was largely shot on nearly empty roads in and around San Francisco, Ronin was shot in and around Paris, across different infrastructure (roads, streets, tunnels) with both traffic and pedestrians.  

That movie came out in 1998 and there hasn't been a single film since that's rivaled the car scenes.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1

San Fran is still the only city I've driven in where you get to the top of a hill and stopped you see nothing of the road in front of you

French Connection was a good one as well, and the subway fun is good for a chuckle

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

San Fran is still the only city I've driven in where you get to the top of a hill and stopped you see nothing of the road in front of you

French Connection was a good one as well, and the subway fun is good for a chuckle

Yep!  It totally freaked Me out when we visited... Had a big ass rented 4x4 too.

Thought it was Me being a nervous Flatlander.

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

I’ll never forget the first time I saw that. Drive up to the edge of a hill and nothing there but sky. Felt like I was driving over a cliff. 

11 hours ago, dpberr said:

The only car chase that rivals this classic is the one in Ronin.  If you haven't seen it, it's quite exceptional in technical execution.  In some ways, the Ronin chase beats Bullitt for two reasons:

1.  Considering the complexity of the scenes, zero CGI was used.  Real cars, real drivers.    

2.  While Bullitt was largely shot on nearly empty roads in and around San Francisco, Ronin was shot in and around Paris, across different infrastructure (roads, streets, tunnels) with both traffic and pedestrians.  

That movie came out in 1998 and there hasn't been a single film since that's rivaled the car scenes.  

I haven’t seen Bullit so I cannot comment on it (even though I should have by now). And it’s been years since I’ve seen Robin and I can’t remember it. But now I want to watch it again just for this. 

But, I will say the Nicolas Cage Gone In 60 Seconds chase seen at the end is pretty awesome. 

Edited by mrags

17 hours ago, mrags said:

I’ll never forget the first time I saw that. Drive up to the edge of a hill and nothing there but sky. Felt like I was driving over a cliff. 

I'll never look at this guy the same way again but this is one of his best bits.  "Come around idiot come around!"

On 10/17/2018 at 10:10 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gay.  Mustangs are gay.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  It's just the crowd that rallies around them. Too Cultish for My blood.  Gotta a 'Stang Motohead co-worker, bit Younger, almost 40... He's a Cubs fan too.  There, that answers You question.  LoL... "Harley" rider too.

Not sure I'd call them "gay" but if you are into stopping and turning corners, they suck.

If you are into drag racing, they aren't so bad.

The modern cars are big, bloated pigs like pretty much all cars these days.

When I see them on track days, they almost always break down, and that's not an exaggeration.

Usually suspension problems though some powertrain too.

PS:  Love the chase scene from the movie and love that car; it's the only muscle car that comes close to interesting me; '67 fastback (?) in that dark green color...that's the perfect muscle car right there.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Not sure I'd call them "gay" but if you are into stopping and turning corners, they suck.

When I see them on track days, they almost always break down, and that's not an exaggeration.

PS:  Love the chase scene from the movie and love that car; it's the only muscle car that comes close to interesting me; '67 fastback (?) in that dark green color...that's the perfect muscle car right there.

Yep... Nice looking.

That deep, almost black green is awesome.  That color only matched by the Pininfarina Green on the vintage Ferraris.

This is the be all and end all of green!  Verde Scuro:

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/rare-alloy-bodied-ferrari-275-gtb-be-star-bonhams-new-bond-street-sale

1965 Ferrari 275 GTB ‘Longnose’:

1965-ferrari-275-alloy-3.jpg?itok=at-zst

That's green!  Almost black! Fug that Ford! This green chases all unluckiness away!

(Green is unlucky color as a vehicle, race car! ?)

Roush mustangs are bad ass as well.

49 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

NHRA factory stock cobra jets are running low 8’s. You know nothing about drag racing if you think mustangs are just ok.

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I'll never look at this guy the same way again but this is one of his best bits.  "Come around idiot come around!"

I didn’t even need to listen to it. I grew up listening to this tape. 

If i take my foot off the break, before I can get to the accelerator, I’ll have drifted into the bay. At the end of the day we all put on our parking brakes and turned it into a used car lot. 

Not having heard that skit in about 15 years, how’d I do? 

1 hour ago, Helpmenow said:

Roush mustangs are bad ass as well.

NHRA factory stock cobra jets are running low 8’s. You know nothing about drag racing if you think mustangs are just ok.

2003-2004 “Terminator” Cobras are incredible. 390HP stock and was under-rated. Able to handle 1,000HP in the stock motor. Absolute monsters in the early to mid 2,000s. 

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

How the kids are spoiled today!  Son's Cooper S has "anti-roll."  You got 2 seconds to get from brake to accelerator and off the clutch and go before You start rolling back down hill.  That's eternity! Not new tech, I think VW or Subaru invented it as "hill lock" or something in late 1970s or '80s.

It's rather slick and would come in handy in SanFran. Years ago, I was outside Boston, driving the sister inlaws early 90s manual Camry (the lady folk were "tired") back from White Mountains in New Hampshire.  We get to hill by Her house and She's like: "I wait right here at the base of the Hill... Not by light, that's crazy up there!" I am like: "Are You kidding, that's like 300 feet away.  I will wait on hill by light!"  Let's just say I gave that clutch a good workout!  What could last 150,000 miles in Illinois, I probably give that clutch a 75,000 lifespan in that part of New England!  LoL...

4 hours ago, mrags said:

I didn’t even need to listen to it. I grew up listening to this tape. 

If i take my foot off the break, before I can get to the accelerator, I’ll have drifted into the bay. At the end of the day we all put on our parking brakes and turned it into a used car lot. 

Yup my dad had “Why is There Air?”  Must have listened to it a million time.  “Idiot Mittens” “Who put the bullet in the furnace?”  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Yup my dad had “Why is There Air?”  Must have listened to it a million time.  “Idiot Mittens” “Who put the bullet in the furnace?”  

I don’t recall that one. The Conversation between The Lord and Noah is priceless tho.