I sincerely don't get all of the negativity.....

warrior9

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

That's not a Beane and McDermott problem, though.

That's a frustrated fan problem.

And it wasn't the fault of the regime before them, or the one before them .. ad infinitum (or is that ad nauseam? Or both?) ...

The "negativity" is towards the Buffalo Bills as a whole, over the many many years. Not just the people sitting in the offices right now. 

Just now, CodeMonkey said:

The "negativity" is towards the Buffalo Bills as a whole, over the many many years. Not just the people sitting in the offices right now. 

nnnnh. not so sure about that. there's a LOT of vitriol directed at Beane and McDermott specifically around here.

17 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So why bring up Allen’s record as if it tells us anything or somehow proves we shouldn’t be worried about him?

We shouldnt be yet.

its been 4 games.. thats why

15 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

The big problem is hearing that year in and year out for 20 years gets old, ya know.

Theyve been here for a year and we made the play offs..... i get that it gets old.... but we may actually have a solid foundation here for the first time in a long time.

Just now, joesixpack said:

nnnnh. not so sure about that. there's a LOT of vitriol directed at Beane and McDermott specifically around here.

Fair enough, there is.  And some is deserved to be sure for what is happening with the offense this year.  But what has happened with the defense is also on them.

Just now, warrior9 said:

We shouldnt be yet.

its been 4 games.. thats why

Theyve been here for a year and we made the play offs..... i get that it gets old.... but we may actually have a solid foundation here for the first time in a long time.

With the same record the team had many times during the drought, but yeah they did what they needed to and backed in.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CodeMonkey said:

Fair enough, there is.  And some is deserved to be sure for what is happening with the offense this year.  But what has happened with the defense is also on them.

Agreed, and their success with the defense is WHY I wanna see them have the opportunity to actually mold the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Great post but your not bitter, angry, emotional, cussing, screaming to fire everybody from the Pegula's to the city of Buffalo, or calling for the public hanging of Nate Peterman; not sure it will get taken seriously!

Haha truth, I was on the peterman hype train.. I really was. And I have to think the kid is extremely smart in the film room and being able to read defenses etc etc. 

Even last year I think they keep him around for his brains more than his talent. 

Speaking truthfully I kinda feel like if you could mesh Allen and peterman together you’d have an all pro top 5 quarterback. 

I have since jumped off the moving train, the kid just doesn’t have the arm talent to have success in this league. At this point I do support cutting him loose. I always envisioned him just being a “game manager” and yesterday he managed to just give the game away. 

I don’t think his career is over, but I think his buffalo career needs to be over. He needs a fresh start and new team. We all knew his ceiling was a backup quarterback and I still think he will be. He can’t stay here now though. Those bridges are burnt to the ground. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I watched the game yesterday....

The Broncos and Seahawks have both won SB's (im not saying we're them) in the last 5 years with defense.. so yes, defense does matter.... 

go show me more 43-40 games and come back to this board.... that wasn't football... that was a 4th quarter track meet.

Well warrior9 again, let's analyze. 

Who Quarterbacked the Seahawks? Not Trent Dilfer. HOFer Russell Wilson on a rookie deal.

Who did Seattle have on their team? HOF QB, Pro Bowl Running back, Chancellor (5th Rounder), Richard Sherman (5th Rounder), Earl Thomas, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Mike Bennett. All were elite talents during their rise to the top.

The Broncos had a HOF OLB leading their pass rush, and another HOFer in Demarcus Ware when they won their SB, along with Talib, Chris Harris, TJ Ward, Derek Wolfe, and D.Thomas and Emanuel Sanders at WR. 

The point is, the Seahawks got really good when they stacked 3 straight great drafts together,  had a young core and a QB on a rookie deal. You had real high end NFL talent. 

The Broncos likewise had young guys in their prime, mixed in with capable HOF veterans. We have 35 year old Kyle Williams and 35 year old Lorenzo Alexander that we hope will be around when we get good. 

Its not that defense "doesn't matter". But right now, our defense has to give up 12 points or less for our team to have a chance, and Elway/Schneider have shown they can build Championship level defense. 

When the Ravens won in 2000, they had HOFers, Lewis, Woodson, Tampa in 2002 with Sapp, Lynch and Brooks. 

The Bills have a tough nosed defense. But its not 1985 Bears and trying to win this way is increasingly getting harder to do, let alone sustain over span of years. 

Maybe the Bills can win this way, maybe their GM can build the next great generational defense. At this point I'd almost prefer that to our FO blowing picks on building an offense. If Zay Jones is any indication, or Mike Tolbert, or Rod Streater, or Jeremey Kerley, or Kaolin Clay, or Kahari Lee, or Nate Peterman or Kelvin Benjamin, or Vlad Duccasse, I'm not sure I want to see Brandon Beane or Sean McDermott blow picks trying to help the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Agreed, and their success with the defense is WHY I wanna see them have the opportunity to actually mold the offense.

I agree as well, I do not want either fired.  But negativity isn't completely unwarranted when it comes to to the entire Bills organization as a whole  is my [only] point.

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well warrior9 again, let's analyze. 

Who Quarterbacked the Seahawks? Not Trent Dilfer. HOFer Russell Wilson on a rookie deal.

Who did Seattle have on their team? HOF QB, Pro Bowl Running back, Chancellor (5th Rounder), Richard Sherman (5th Rounder), Earl Thomas, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Mike Bennett. All were elite talents during their rise to the top.

The Broncos had a HOF OLB leading their pass rush, and another HOFer in Demarcus Ware when they won their SB, along with Talib, Chris Harris, TJ Ward, Derek Wolfe, and D.Thomas and Emanuel Sanders at WR. 

The point is, the Seahawks got really good when they stacked 3 straight great drafts together,  had a young core and a QB on a rookie deal. You had real high end NFL talent. 

The Broncos likewise had young guys in their prime, mixed in with capable HOF veterans. We have 35 year old Kyle Williams and 35 year old Lorenzo Alexander that we hope will be around when we get good. 

Its not that defense "doesn't matter". But right now, our defense has to give up 12 points or less for our team to have a chance, and Elway/Schneider have shown they can build Championship level defense. 

When the Ravens won in 2000, they had HOFers, Lewis, Woodson, Tampa in 2002 with Sapp, Lynch and Brooks. 

The Bills have a tough nosed defense. But its not 1985 Bears and trying to win this way is increasingly getting harder to do, let alone sustain over span of years. 

Maybe the Bills can win this way, maybe their GM can build the next great generational defense. At this point I'd almost prefer that to our FO blowing picks on building an offense. If Zay Jones is any indication, or Mike Tolbert, or Rod Streater, or Jeremey Kerley, or Kaolin Clay, or Kahari Lee, or Nate Peterman or Kelvin Benjamin, or Vlad Duccasse, I'm not sure I want to see Brandon Beane or Sean McDermott blow picks trying to help the offense. 

Wait... waht? What did we analyze? You named players and the rounds they were drafted and called Russel Wilson a HOFer.... not really sure what you'er analyzing 

Anyway.... All you did there was prove you can with with D....Also, Vlad Duccasse is in the top 5 guards pass blocking wise this year.......

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

29 years old, started every game in his career, 64% passer, 99 career rating, +114 TD to Interception, also has over 3,000 yards rushing and 16 more TDs, Super Bowl champion. 

Yeah, HOFer. 

No.

:lol:

He's got a LONG way to go to be a HOFer, sorry.

Just now, warrior9 said:

Wait... waht? What did we analyze? You named players and the rounds they were drafted and called Russel Wilson a HOFer.... not really sure what you'er analyzing 

Anyway.... All you did there was prove you can with with D....Also, Vlad Duccasse is in the top 5 guards pass blocking wise this year.......

Okay, so you believe all the Bills FO and Coach need is time?

And then the Bills will be winning in this league? Going to AFC Title Games?

I think the odds of that based on what we've seen out of this GM and Coach are microscopic. 

The point was Seattle and Denver, defensive led teams, had real HOF talent. 

The Bills have a few nice players defensively, and a couple of key cogs who are 35 years old.  

Big difference. 

No.

:lol:

He's got a LONG way to go to be a HOFer, sorry.

Laugh it up Joe. 

Russell Wilson is better than every QB the Bills have ever had, including Kelly. 

Its not close. 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

developing qb's is a tricky thing I think. they've absolutely screwed the pooch when it comes to the situation in the qb room.

I think there's a lot of good that's been done. but they monumentally screwed up their qb situation. their loyalty to #2 is freaking mind blowing.

The QB situation is a complete mess!

• Like (+1) 1

Now you've fully gone off the rails.

Kelly in 4 years with Bills leading to his 29th Birthday:

59.2% Completion Percentage, 82.9% Rating, 81 TDs, 15.75 Ints/Season, 2 TDs Rushing. 

Wilson in 4 years leading up to 29th Birthday:

64.3% Completion Percentage, 98.3% Rating, 109 TDs, 9.25 Ints/Season, 11 TDs Rushing. 

Okay, different eras, grabbing WRs etc. But its not laughable at all. Wilson after next season will be on Kelly's career TD's and will be closing in on 30,000 yards passing with no HOF WRs or RBs. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Kelly in 4 years with Bills leading to his 29th Birthday:

59.2% Completion Percentage, 82.9% Rating, 81 TDs, 15.75 Ints/Season, 2 TDs Rushing. 

Wilson in 4 years leading up to 29th Birthday:

64.3% Completion Percentage, 98.3% Rating, 109 TDs, 9.25 Ints/Season, 11 TDs Rushing. 

Okay, different eras, grabbing WRs etc. But its not laughable at all. Wilson after next season will be on Kelly's career TD's and will be closing in on 30,000 yards passing with no HOF WRs or RBs. 

In an era in which passing stats are CHEAP.

There's a reason there's been two QBs to break the yardage record the past decade.

You time machine Wilson to 1988 and he'd do fine. 

He's a heck of an athlete, durable, and has been good from Day One in the NFL. 

Methinks you didn't watch much football back then.

QBs weren't protected, hardly at all. They took vicious, sometimes career-ending hits.

24 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I don't believe that but I do know he is ranked #2 among all Guards in the league for most penalties.

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You time machine Wilson to 1988 and he'd do fine. 

He's a heck of an athlete, durable, and has been good from Day One in the NFL. 

No.  Russel Wilson, along with the majority of the QBs playing today would get destroyed if they played in 1988.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Methinks you didn't watch much football back then.

QBs weren't protected, hardly at all. They took vicious, sometimes career-ending hits.

Yeah and methinks you don't understand the skill level of the league is constantly rising. 

You don't think Julio Jones makes it in an era where grabbing is allowed? You don't think JJ Watt could hack it in Reggie White's day, you don't think Patrick Mahomes could ball in 1987? 

The level of athlete today is good enough to play in any era. 

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

No.  Russel Wilson, along with the majority of the QBs playing today would get destroyed if they played in 1988.

Like I said, I don't think he watched much football back then.

Kelly took some hits that would kill a guy nowadays.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The great ones can play in any era. 

The 2015 Seattle Seahawks could go toe to toe with the 1991 Buffalo Bills. 

The 2017 Patriots could go toe to toe with the 1989 49ers. 

Yeah and methinks you don't understand the skill level of the league is constantly rising. 

You don't think Julio Jones makes it in an era where grabbing is allowed? You don't think JJ Watt could hack it in Reggie White's day, you don't think Patrick Mahomes could ball in 1987? 

The level of athlete today is good enough to play in any era. 

When helmet-to-helmet hits were encouraged, where receivers could be grabbed, where QBs could have their heads and knees targeted, or be body-slammed, Yeah...I don't think a guy like Julio Jones would have made it.

When helmet-to-helmet hits were encouraged, where receivers could be grabbed, where QBs could have their heads and knees targeted, or be body-slammed, Yeah...I don't think a guy like Julio Jones would have made it.

6'3" runs a 4.39, dominated college football and has dominated the NFL. 

Calvin Johnson at 6'5" and 4.35 would have struggled against 5'10" 185 pound press corners from the 1980's. 

What a joke. 

No you're right, only guys like Chris Carter and Andre Reed were tough enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

6'3" runs a 4.39, dominated college football and has dominated the NFL. 

Calvin Johnson at 6'5" and 4.35 would have struggled against 5'10" 185 pound press corners from the 1980's. 

What a joke. 

No you're right, only guys like Chris Carter and Andre Reed were tough enough. 

You're free to disagree, but you're wrong.

Defense is ACTIVELY discouraged in today's NFL.

The great ones can play in any era. 

The 2015 Seattle Seahawks could go toe to toe with the 1991 Buffalo Bills. 

The 2017 Patriots could go toe to toe with the 1989 49ers. 

Not if the game is played in 1988-1991 era rules.  It has nothing to do with talent.  It does have everything to do with the BS rules overprotecting the QB.  I'm not saying the modern Seahawk and Patriot teams are devoid of talent, which they're not, I am saying that the offense has a distinct advantage due to the NFL wanting to generate points and protect the QBs and WRs.  You can't tell me that Ronnie Lott, Lester Hayes, Bill Romanowski and the like would see more playing time today vs suspension time with these rules in place.

Two things can be true: defense can be actively discouraged AND athletes can be better now than they were 30 years ago (and they are definitely better now).

I think you've got the nostalgia rose colored glasses on. 

It was always better in the past. 

While I can't stand the rules of today, I disagree that the best in today's game could not compete with the best of 1980. 

No way do I believe that. 

No way does Richard Sherman struggle in 1985, or Zeke Elliott get too beat up, or Antonio Brown not able to get open, or Drew Brees struggle to complete passes. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Two things can be true: defense can be actively discouraged AND athletes can be better now than they were 30 years ago (and they are definitely better now).

Yes, of course. Perhaps I'd be more impressed with peoples' numbers these days if they were achieved against any kind of credible opposition.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not if the game is played in 1988-1991 era rules.  It has nothing to do with talent.  It does have everything to do with the BS rules overprotecting the QB.  I'm not saying the modern Seahawk and Patriot teams are devoid of talent, which they're not, I am saying that the offense has a distinct advantage due to the NFL wanting to generate points and protect the QBs and WRs.  You can't tell me that Ronnie Lott, Lester Hayes, Bill Romanowski and the like would see more playing time today vs suspension time with these rules in place.

And you can't tell me that Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman couldn't play in 1986 because it was "too physical". 

Or that Julio Jones couldn't get open because he was being pressed or held at the line. 

2 hours ago, warrior9 said:

When you look at our team/FO/ etc, etc... They came in with a pile of you know what as a team. They came off of  Rex/ Whaley regime that strapped this team against the cap and left it talentless. They took that team to the play-offs with none of us expecting it (while completely gutting it in 1 year).... while trying to fix the cap issues. 

Say what you want about Beane and McDermott but those that refuse to see the cap as an issue of talent acquisition are simply not seeing the big picture..... money = ability to acquire high end talent and/ or system role players. Where did they spend the available money? Defense... and that defense (which is essentially all Beane and McDermott acquired players) is absolutely balling out. 

I think this coming off-season and draft are going to define this regime. They absolutely have to address the offense in every aspect. I do believe Daboll has called some absolutely atrocious games this year, yet we are still competing. I sincerely hope that his inability to call an effective NFL game does not hinder the growth of Josh Allen.

Think about where we are as a team and the cornerstones we have....

Seemingly top 3 secondary (with a second year CB that is most likely a future All-Pro)

A 20 year old stud at MLB (and Milano growing into a nice player)

A young DT that has played well above where he was drafted and has been very impressive

A left tackle that is young and improving with every game

A young first round QB (and this regime believes it's their guy)

80+ Million in cap space next year

10(i believe) draft picks

We have many many important pieces in place for a promising future..... I think we need to be patient and look for the growth of this team and players throughout the rest of this year. 

Just my .02....

If Josh Allen has had a couple of 250 yard games, there would be minimal negativity.  

People are irritable and negative since he doesn't look like the other rookie QBs in terms of his QB abilities outside his running.  

Yes, of course. Perhaps I'd be more impressed with peoples' numbers these days if they were achieved against any kind of credible opposition.

Exactly.  Which is why it is ridiculous to say that Brady is GOAT, for example.  He might be the greatest of his playing era, but I suspect he would get demolished in 1990.  Marino might be GOAT if he played today.  People don't think about this.

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Like I said, I don't think he watched much football back then.

Kelly took some hits that would kill a guy nowadays.

Jim was one tough man, took brutal beatings out there 

When you look at our team/FO/ etc, etc... They came in with a pile of you know what as a team. They came off of  Rex/ Whaley regime that strapped this team against the cap and left it talentless. They took that team to the play-offs with none of us expecting it (while completely gutting it in 1 year).... while trying to fix the cap issues. 

Say what you want about Beane and McDermott but those that refuse to see the cap as an issue of talent acquisition are simply not seeing the big picture..... money = ability to acquire high end talent and/ or system role players. Where did they spend the available money? Defense... and that defense (which is essentially all Beane and McDermott acquired players) is absolutely balling out. 

I think this coming off-season and draft are going to define this regime. They absolutely have to address the offense in every aspect. I do believe Daboll has called some absolutely atrocious games this year, yet we are still competing. I sincerely hope that his inability to call an effective NFL game does not hinder the growth of Josh Allen.

Seemingly top 3 secondary (with a second year CB that is most likely a future All-Pro)

A young DT that has played well above where he was drafted and has been very impressive

We have many many important pieces in place for a promising future..... I think we need to be patient and look for the growth of this team and players throughout the rest of this year. 

Just my .02....

All valid points. It's a very fine line in the NFL between winning and losing, and I really feel like we are at the cusp of something great if we can get the O talent differential and scheme to catch up with the D or at least, be able to move the chains on a consistent basis. There's an undeniable grit around this team (certain exceptions to this would be the effort of some on the O side), who are not easy outs for anyone at this point. It hurts just how close we came to stealing another tough one on the road away from the favorites.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Jim was one tough man, took brutal beatings out there 

Yeah and Russell Wilson is a better athlete all around.

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Exactly.  Which is why it is ridiculous to say that Brady is GOAT, for example.  He might be the greatest of his playing era, but I suspect he would get demolished in 1990.  Marino might be GOAT if he played today.  People don't think about this.

Brady has started for 18 straight years. 

In an era where Coaches have instantaneous film to dissect, computers to analyze statistics and trends, in an era with money to fund larger scouting departments and Front Offices. 

Ridiculous to say he's the GOAT? 

No doubt Marino would be awesome nowadays. No doubt. 

But Tom Brady has led how many comebacks? Has what TD to Interception ratio? Has been elite for how long?

And all of that is swept away with a flick of the wrist because its was more physical back then. Okay. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just my .02....

totally agree , but too many people had unrealistic expectations with this team and somehow think a regime change will makes us better when in reality it would set is further back.

I still believe we should have surrounded Allen with talent this year instead of upgrading the defense but I know they will do it this offseason and we will just have to be patient in the process.

• Like (+1) 1