Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

This could simply be a nuisance complaint...

Bloomberg campaign hit with FEC complaint for $18M transfer to DNC

A Federal Elections Commission complaint has been filed against former New York City mayor and 2020 presidential hopeful Mike Bloomberg for an $18 million transfer from his defunct campaign to the Democratic National Committee.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 2

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This could simply be a nuisance complaint...

Bloomberg campaign hit with FEC complaint for $18M transfer to DNC

A Federal Elections Commission complaint has been filed against former New York City mayor and 2020 presidential hopeful Mike Bloomberg for an $18 million transfer from his defunct campaign to the Democratic National Committee.

</snip>

I would assume so. Heard an interview with the head of the RNC about a week ago, who talked about the donation being shady, but she seemed to think it was a legal loophole.

Well, who wouldn't be thrilled to vote for a corrupt former Senator and Vice President who now is exhibiting signs of a cognitive disorder? <_<

Anyhoooo if this enthusiasm gap is real, and holds, the down ticket will be impacted. If people sit home because they do not want to crawl over broken glass to vote for Joey-B, the Democrats chances of holding the House dim, and their dreams of gaining the Senate die. 

Biden consolidates support, but trails badly in enthusiasm: Poll

Strong enthusiasm for Biden among those who back him over Trump is just 24%.

</snip>

Indeed, strong enthusiasm for Biden among his supporters – at just 24% – is the lowest on record for a Democratic presidential candidate in 20 years of ABC/Post polls. More than twice as many of Trump’s supporters are highly enthusiastic about supporting him, 53%.

</snip>

Among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents who prefer Bernie Sanders for the nomination, 15 percent say they’d back Trump over Biden in the fall.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Well, who wouldn't be thrilled to vote for a corrupt former Senator and Vice President who now is exhibiting signs of a cognitive disorder? <_<

Anyhoooo if this enthusiasm gap is real, and holds, the down ticket will be impacted. If people sit home because they do not want to crawl over broken glass to vote for Joey-B, the Democrats chances of holding the House dim, and their dreams of gaining the Senate die. 

Biden consolidates support, but trails badly in enthusiasm: Poll

Strong enthusiasm for Biden among those who back him over Trump is just 24%.

</snip>

Indeed, strong enthusiasm for Biden among his supporters – at just 24% – is the lowest on record for a Democratic presidential candidate in 20 years of ABC/Post polls. More than twice as many of Trump’s supporters are highly enthusiastic about supporting him, 53%.

</snip>

Among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents who prefer Bernie Sanders for the nomination, 15 percent say they’d back Trump over Biden in the fall.

</snip>

Are you trying to give Gleeful Gator a heart attack? 

On 3/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, B-Man said:

The winds have definitely shifted on Biden.  The Democratic leaning pundits have been talking themselves out of breath the past few days as to the supposed great job Cuomo has done with NYC.  Almost as if they received an email to do so....................  So does the Hill-pig (HRC) jump into action now?  Biden was the perfect Trojan horse for the Hill-pig to get back in the White House.  I doubt Cuomo will just let somebody name a VP prospect he does not want.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

The winds have definitely shifted on Biden.  The Democratic leaning pundits have been talking themselves out of breath the past few days as to the supposed great job Cuomo has done with NYC.  Almost as if they received an email to do so....................  So does the Hill-pig (HRC) jump into action now?  Biden was the perfect Trojan horse for the Hill-pig to get back in the White House.  I doubt Cuomo will just let somebody name a VP prospect he does not want.

They’re realizing just what a liability early-onset Joe is. I’m 100% supporting Trump in November , but I get it with Cuomo. I rarely agree with him on policy, but I’ll admit he doesn’t talk like a man with dementia. 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They’re realizing just what a liability early-onset Joe is. I’m 100% supporting Trump in November , but I get it with Cuomo. I rarely agree with him on policy, but I’ll admit he doesn’t talk like a man with dementia. 

Cuomo's briefing today was a little painful to watch. No need to hear about how he tried and failed to fool his kids regarding cooking Sunday dinners. He seems to often go off on tangents about his personal or past life. 

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

No Chance Joe.

That was about the percentage who turned on Hillary in '16 and 25% of Hillary supporters voted for McCain in '08.  The more significant part of that article is the enthusiasm gap problem which I've been warning about since he entered the damn race.

This is more of a backlash against the DNC than anything else as Trump is really unpopular among Bernie supporters.  Here's an Emerson poll just last month.

EUS7KaIUEAEO9pH.png:large

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

The #PresidentCuomo fantasy

by Byron York

Original Article

How nervous are some Democrats about Joe Biden's chances against President Trump this November? Nervous enough to entertain the notion that another Democrat, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, might swoop in and save the day. Cuomo, who has been governor for nearly a decade and has one of the most famous names in Democratic politics, found new prominence when his state became the epicenter of the coronavirus crisis in the United States. In February and March, some New York officials urged the public to maintain regular activities even as the virus took hold in the state, leading to the worst outbreak in the country.

On 3/29/2020 at 2:56 PM, Doc Brown said:

This is more of a backlash against the DNC than anything else as Trump is really unpopular among Bernie supporters. 

I personally know multiple Bernie supporters who will be voting for Trump in November. They seem to be motivated as much by dispassionate strategy as they are by anger toward the DNC. A sound Trump victory over Biden is supposed to be the second best outcome for progressives (aside from the obvious of Bernie beating both Biden and Trump) to try and take over a then weakened and humiliated Democratic Party. The pandemic fallout is also supposed to make the need for progressive policies like universal health care, student debt relief, and minimum wage hikes that much more obvious to the otherwise low-information, "orange man bad," Biden-voting Dem.

I won't bother explaining their reasoning any further because I think it's foolish. The Democratic Party has proven to be corrupt to its ossified neoliberal core and beyond any internal reform. The latest example among many is the complete bipartisan support of the disgusting coronavirus bailout bill that was just passed. Even all of our so-called progressive Democrat heroes like Bernie Sanders, Liz Warren, Tulsi Gabbard, and The Squad could barely muster effective collective pushback beyond a few lame speeches. Feckless at best, complicit charlatans at worst. This was the most galling example of crony capitalism in American history with virtually no enforced oversight of the gigantic bailout money about to be siphoned off to large company CEO's over the next several years. This is worse than anything we saw in late 2008-early 2009. And then the hoi polloi were allotted $1200 checks to keep quiet for the time being. Maybe...or maybe not?

My preferred strategy is to burn the Democratic Party down from the outside. Coordinate nation-wide worker strikes in the spring, organize grassroots protest movements in the summer, vote Green Party in the fall, and possibly organize a new People's Party beyond if the Green Party proves unwilling to try and actually win elections. Voting for a corrupt senile rapist war-mongering neoliberal low-key racist like Biden is only enabling the establishment Dems. Voting for Trump is only enabling a 40-year tradition of a failed Reaganomics libertarian economic philosophy that has hollowed out the middle and working classes, to the point that half of this entire country doesn't have enough savings to survive more than a month of a pandemic quarantine. Voting for the Green Party is at least a genuine vote for progressivism and can help them reach the critical 5% general election benchmark.

I think I've now said all that I needed to say here in the "Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread." I don't care anymore what happens to this disgusting political party. I'll give the Republicans credit in that at least they are honest and upfront about who they are and what they believe. The Democrats no longer represent the working class and probably never will again. So I don't have a strong opinion on the Andrew Cuomo emergency option that has been bandied around the internet. But my advice to the Democrats is to go ahead and make the switch at the convention if your only public policy is beating Trump, as has been made obvious since Super Tuesday. I think Cuomo could conceivably stoke the necessary voting enthusiasm in the general election to win. I've long doubted Biden's ability to seal the deal, and that latest enthusiasm poll only reinforces my doubts. Force Biden to step down in July for "health reasons" or due to the Tara Reade controversy. The optics of wasting everyone's time during the primaries to undemocratically select a candidate at the convention are...well...not good, but at this point the bar for DNC political integrity is so low that Cuomo can easily clear it in July.

Anyway, my political rant is over. Stay safe, everyone, and God bless all you health professionals! We will celebrate your heroism after all of this passes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RealKayAdams said:

My preferred strategy is to burn the Democratic Party down from the outside. Coordinate nation-wide worker strikes in the spring, organize grassroots protest movements in the summer, vote Green Party in the fall, and possibly organize a new People's Party beyond if the Green Party proves unwilling to try and actually win elections. Voting for a corrupt senile rapist war-mongering neoliberal low-key racist like Biden is only enabling the establishment Dems. Voting for Trump is only enabling a 40-year tradition of a failed Reaganomics libertarian economic philosophy that has hollowed out the middle and working classes, to the point that half of this entire country doesn't have enough savings to survive more than a month of a pandemic quarantine. Voting for the Green Party is at least a genuine vote for progressivism and can help them reach the critical 5% general election benchmark.

Sure, but don't you think that "establishment dems" already pander in a huge way to so called "progressives?"  i can think of 2 quick examples:

1) Perverted Uncle Joe announced that he will definitely choose a woman VP. Imo this is openly admitting that he will use sex as the determining factor rather than competence. I am all for a female president. A competent one.

2) Cuomo is emptying prisons, and was doing so before covid19. He also lit up the Empire State Building with pink lights (at taxpayer's expense) to celebrate late term abortions. He long ago declared NY a sanctuary state, to include not cooperating with ICE, free medical care, free education and even free college (while our children pay). Is this not pandering enough? 

Hey, I agree with you that every dem candidate in the primary was either a thief, hypocrite, psychotic, or more than one of these. My question is, how much more radical would you like them to really be? Even Sanders has 3 houses and his wife has some serious allegations. Do you view him as legit?

BTW thanks for an interesting post.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ALF said:

I won't vote for Biden , we'll see if he picks a competent VP.  The economy after this  covid 19 disaster could effect Trump more this time around.

That's what the liberals are praying for. Do you think they all of a sudden care about American people?

6 hours ago, RealKayAdams said:

I personally know multiple Bernie supporters who will be voting for Trump in November. They seem to be motivated as much by dispassionate strategy as they are by anger toward the DNC. A sound Trump victory over Biden is supposed to be the second best outcome for progressives (aside from the obvious of Bernie beating both Biden and Trump) to try and take over a then weakened and humiliated Democratic Party. The pandemic fallout is also supposed to make the need for progressive policies like universal health care, student debt relief, and minimum wage hikes that much more obvious to the otherwise low-information, "orange man bad," Biden-voting Dem.

I won't bother explaining their reasoning any further because I think it's foolish. The Democratic Party has proven to be corrupt to its ossified neoliberal core and beyond any internal reform. The latest example among many is the complete bipartisan support of the disgusting coronavirus bailout bill that was just passed. Even all of our so-called progressive Democrat heroes like Bernie Sanders, Liz Warren, Tulsi Gabbard, and The Squad could barely muster effective collective pushback beyond a few lame speeches. Feckless at best, complicit charlatans at worst. This was the most galling example of crony capitalism in American history with virtually no enforced oversight of the gigantic bailout money about to be siphoned off to large company CEO's over the next several years. This is worse than anything we saw in late 2008-early 2009. And then the hoi polloi were allotted $1200 checks to keep quiet for the time being. Maybe...or maybe not?

I think I've now said all that I needed to say here in the "Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread." I don't care anymore what happens to this disgusting political party. I'll give the Republicans credit in that at least they are honest and upfront about who they are and what they believe. The Democrats no longer represent the working class and probably never will again. So I don't have a strong opinion on the Andrew Cuomo emergency option that has been bandied around the internet. But my advice to the Democrats is to go ahead and make the switch at the convention if your only public policy is beating Trump, as has been made obvious since Super Tuesday. I think Cuomo could conceivably stoke the necessary voting enthusiasm in the general election to win. I've long doubted Biden's ability to seal the deal, and that latest enthusiasm poll only reinforces my doubts. Force Biden to step down in July for "health reasons" or due to the Tara Reade controversy. The optics of wasting everyone's time during the primaries to undemocratically select a candidate at the convention are...well...not good, but at this point the bar for DNC political integrity is so low that Cuomo can easily clear it in July.

Anyway, my political rant is over. Stay safe, everyone, and God bless all you health professionals! We will celebrate your heroism after all of this passes.

nice post, Kay..

my only qualm here would be that, the Dem party is just one faction of a single entity. of which, all extremities of have one concern and one concern only, and you and i, we aren't on it. useless chattel only serve one purpose. can we burn them all to the ground and start over?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1