Should ties be eliminated in all sports?

Buffalo03

Seeing as how there seems to have been teams being close to a tie or two in every week this season it got me thinking, why not just play until there's a winner in every sport? Hockey did shoot outs why can't the NFL do something where instead once OT is over that they just give each team 4 downs at the opposing team's 15 yard line with basically 4 chances to get it into the endzone. If the first team doesn't score then the other team takes over and it's basically sudden death at that point as that has the same 4 chances and it just goes until a team scores and wins.

I hate ties. No matter the sport there should always be a winner. If I was a fan that went to a game where we tied. I would hate the hell out of it

Edited by Buffalo03

I would say no. The most popular sport in the world (soccer) has ties (draws) and I think it is pretty successful.

Example from a different sport: I would rather watch a hard fought 2-2 tie in the NHL then a skills competition to give a team another point AFTER those teams played 65 minutes to a draw.

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Nope, they should not be eliminated. At least not in the NFL. Each team has at least 1 chance in OT to win it.  

The NFL should at least go back to a 15 minute OT quarter then. This 10 minute thing is causing the chance of way to many ties. 4 teams have a tie already and yesterday the Raiders and Browns game came down to the last two minutes of OT and the Texans beat the Colts with :03 seconds left in OT. The 10 minute OT quarter doesn't work in my opinion

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

I would say no. The most popular sport in the world (soccer) has ties (draws) and I think it is pretty successful.

Example from a different sport: I would rather watch a hard fought 2-2 tie in the NHL then a skills competition to give a team another point AFTER those teams played 65 minutes to a draw.

This. Being able to salvage a point forces teams to push for the extra goal. It works just fine.  

3-2-1 in NHL seems so logical it actually makes sense they haven't adopted it given the people who run the league are morons.  But ties wouldn't bother me because the shootout is stupid imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

No.  I never understood why people got so worked up over a game ending in a tie.

hockey has tried to get rid of it but the visiting team already in a playoff spot will gladly rag the puck for that the single point and take chances on the OT point

it's why NHL teams are basically eliminated by Hallowe'en each season if they are 5 or more points out

It doesn't happen enough for it to be considered a problem, in my opinion.  I will say that there has been a small increase in the number of ties (it seems, anyways), but I'm sure that's due to the OT rules.  When it was sudden death, I don't think I ever saw anyone complain about ties.

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Seeing as how there seems to have been teams being close to a tie or two in every week this season it got me thinking, why not just play until there's a winner in every sport? Hockey did shoot outs why can't the NFL do something where instead once OT is over that they just give each team 4 downs at the opposing team's 15 yard line with basically 4 chances to get it into the endzone. If the first team doesn't score then the other team takes over and it's basically sudden death at that point as that has the same 4 chances and it just goes until a team scores and wins.

I hate ties. No matter the sport there should always be a winner. If I was a fan that went to a game where we tied. I would hate the hell out of it

Solution for football is easy. If game ends in a tie both teams get a loss.

Players and experts say playing too much is cause for increased injury so lets not play extra time. No OT.

I have no problem with games ending in a tie.

I wish the NHL would bring them back, I hate games being decided in a shoot out.

Tie games do not ruin the NFL experience. Also, this is not the NFL of the 1920's through 1950's when ties were very common. The overtime period works out good and most of the time there is a winner.

19 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I'd like to see some sort of adaptation of the college rules.

i despise the college gimmick

or at least they should not count OT TDs as stats glommed in with those achieved in regulation