Bills “Big Nickel” package is a Big Fail

YoloinOhio

Zone sucks in basketball.

It equally sucks in football.  The quiick, accurate quarterbacks of today shred the hell out of a zone scheme like Tampa 2. Too many little gaps an experienced QB will find.

I know it's been a while since Jim Schwartz was here but his man coverage scheme is the opposite. The man coverage buys the time for your rush to get home.

5 minutes ago, dpberr said:

It equally sucks in football.  The quiick, accurate quarterbacks of today shred the hell out of a zone scheme like Tampa 2. Too many little gaps an experienced QB will find.

I know it's been a while since Jim Schwartz was here but his man coverage scheme is the opposite. The man coverage buys the time for your rush to get home.

Rex also ran man coverage. With the linemen.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Schwartz runs a combination of man and zone. Rex Ryan ran a lot more man to man that Schwartz ever did and that didn't work out to well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

3-3-5 with this team is a recipe for disaster. We need to get to the QB. That means you can't rush 3 guys and drop 8 into a zone. That's foolish. No wonder we got scorched.

Exactly.  This defense through the first six quarters reminds me of Rex's defense.  Rush three, everyone else cover, and put more pressure on the DBs.  It makes no sense.  A strong pass rush will force the QB to make mistakes, take sacks, and get rid of the ball before he's ready to.  A good pass rush will make a mediocre secondary look good.  Not sure why some of these coaches like to get so cute in their schemes.  Look at how the Giants beat the Pats* in two SBs, it wasn't by putting more pressure on the DB's which Brady would have shredded.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing is, I like the Big Nickel. But with our scheme, I have zero idea why we are going to a 3-3-5 when we are far better suited to a 4-2-5.

I thought the whole point was to get Alexander out of SLB, and onto the line. You get a safety to pair off against TE and plug the run.

We should have the personnel for it.

I don't think the Bills have the personnel to use a "big nickel" successfully.  You've got to have a guy with some good measurables (size and athleticism) who mixes football intelligence and toughness.  They don't have that.  With Vontae Davis gone (and a disappointment before he left) they only have one quality starting CB.

10 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I don't think the Bills have the personnel to use a "big nickel" successfully.  You've got to have a guy with some good measurables (size and athleticism) who mixes football intelligence and toughness.  They don't have that.  With Vontae Davis gone (and a disappointment before he left) they only have one quality starting CB.

We should have addressed this in the preseason...I don't see it getting better now.

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rex didn’t believe in “safety help”

Like McDermott leaving White on an island last year with Green to get burned for a 75 yard TD? Unless you are implying the safety help we have now is that we actually signed a couple of good safeties in Poyer and Hyde when McDermott came in. That I definitely agree with. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I’ve seen Jerry Hughes in zone coverage too much this season on 3rd downs.

Von Miller Intercepts Tom Brady

This was second down rather than third but still second and long. I don't think it is a bid deal to occasionally drop your rush linebackers or ends in coverage as it can fool the QB who is likely certain that player is rushing. But yeah it should be used wisely and sparingly. I don't know how many times Hughes has dropped into coverage this year but a few times would be fine.

4 minutes ago, Flutie Flakes said:

Hard to address effectively given our cap situation.  Davis was our "K-Mart blue light special" pick-up and he's gone.   

It just makes me shake my head. How can we be in cap trouble when we basically have no good players? Even taking into account the Dareus money we are still owe who the heck else is getting paid on this team? We overpaid a bunch of bad players? And I love McCoy but RBs really are a dime a dozen and we probably shouldn't be paying him what he is getting either. Worst team in the league and we have a terrible cap situation. Makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It just makes me shake my head. How can we be in cap trouble when we basically have no good players? Even taking into account the Dareus money we are still owe who the heck else is getting paid on this team? We overpaid a bunch of bad players? And I love McCoy but RBs really are a dime a dozen and we probably shouldn't be paying him what he is getting either. Worst team in the league and we have a terrible cap situation. Makes no sense.

I couldn't agree more.  

From USA Today (9/18/18)

Most dead money in 2018

1. Bills- $53.1M
2. Cowboys- $28.9M
3. Giants- $25M
4. 49ers- $22.5M
5. Cardinals- $21M
6. Browns- $20.5M

Pretty crazy that Bills are almost equal to numbers 2 and 3 combined.

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Von Miller Intercepts Tom Brady

We overpaid a bunch of bad players? And I love McCoy but RBs really are a dime a dozen and we probably shouldn't be paying him what he is getting either. Worst team in the league and we have a terrible cap situation. Makes no sense.

Running backs are NOT really a dime a dozen.  That is one of the most overplayed thoughts in football today.

Look at our depth at RB last year and now this year.  Maybe a little better this year but not by much.   That said. McCoy's contract is not a good one for us but that has more to do with his age.   

Edited by Bob in STL

4 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Running backs are NOT really a dime a dozen.  That is one of the most overplayed thoughts in football today.

Look at our depth at RB last year and now this year.  Maybe a little better this year but not by much. 

I got to disagree here still. When was the last time we really had nobody good at the RB position?  More often than not we had two capable backs. Not just one. You definitely do not need to overspend on the position. Money is better spent elsewhere for sure.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib