The Ringer's Rodger Sherman Does Not "Respect the Process"

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, PeterDude said:

He said trading up multiple times to do that is not building for the future, and he's correct. 

He's only correct if we're assuming that those draft picks spent to trade up would turn into players that actually contribute. Trading up, theoretically, increases the chance of not only hitting on a player, but in this case, hitting on potentially really good players at pivotal positions. 

IMO, it was an odd comment. There's no right or wrong in that comment, because we don't yet know the end result with Allen/Edmunds. And since they traded away those picks, we'll never know the answer to the flip side. I suppose an argument can be made for both sides. However, we've seen some past Bills teams built via the draft, yet they never found that QB, rendering those players useless, essentially, since it didn't translate to a winning product, and those players ended up leaving for greener pastures anyways...

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Sherman pretty much said most of the same things I've been saying since the end of last season.  BTW, do they even have a practice squad player who can impersonate a QB if Allen or Peterman gets hurt? 

Nope. Even an aging veteran on his last legs like Matt Moore would have been useful to help the QB's along, even if he never has to set foot on the field.

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

All I can say is, what does this guy(Rodger Sherman) want?

How is drafting Josh Allen & Tremaine Edmunds not building for the future? Quarterback & Linebacker were our biggest needs, and we addressed that in the first round! What should we have done instead?! Drafted a Cornerback & a Tight End?

Also he needs to get his facts straight. Jeremy Kerley was with the 49'ers last year.

To be fair, I think his point was that the Bills could have addressed those needs without paying the steep price to move up. A team like the Bills that gutted their roster and left holes to fill all over the place. They had lots of draft picks, but actually drafted very few players with those picks. It’s a valid point. They could have addressed the OL, WR, LB and QB positions if they hadn’t squandered so many picks in trade ups. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Ringer's Rodger Sherman Does Not "Respect the Process"
4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I disagree wholeheartedly with this line:

... In this year’s draft, the front office traded up three times: twice to get Allen (at a huge disadvantage in terms of draft pick value) and once to get linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. Those aren’t moves made by a team looking to build for the future.

If trading up for a raw small school QB with huge upside and a barely-20 years old freaky athletic defensive-centerpiece-for-the-next-decade type MLB aren't 'moves made by a team looking to build for the future'...I dunno what those moves are supposed to be then. 

I think you kinda contradicted yourself.  Raw, small school qb seems insanely risky and not the best way to prepare for the future.  

And I like Edmunds a lot.  But when you’re a “rebuilding” team, trading up in the 1st round for anything but a qb is rarely a smart move.  

Hopefully, we nailed both picks and it’s a homer in. If they don’t, they should be criticized for not making smart moves.

3 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

There have been warning signs about McDermott from the beginning. He’s an organized guy. He’s got attention to detail. But at the end of the day he’s Dick Jauron Jr. 

I definitely don’t disagree.  That said, if Jauron found a franchise qb, he would have been fine.  So if Allen is the truth, SM will be fine.  If not, he’s done.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I definitely don’t disagree.  That said, if Jauron found a franchise qb, he would have been fine.  So if Allen is the truth, SM will be fine.  If not, he’s done.

Thats true. Lots of lousy coaches look good with a franchise QB. Jim Caldwell to me was one of the dumbest coaches ever. I mean he was dumb. But Peyton Manning kept him employed for a minute. 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sorry.   I'm not that interested in what a guy that looks like he still lives in Mama's basement has to say...

Rodger Sherman

So petty.  I’m sure if you posted every writers and most posters pictures (not mine because I’m hot), they are way bigger dorks out there.

4 hours ago, PeterDude said:

He said trading up multiple times to do that is not building for the future, and he's correct. 

When we traded up for Edmunds we traded our first and a third for their first and a fifth. So we still ended up with 2 players.  I also think that the benefit of getting a guy you have as a top10 guy rather than a guy you think is a late first guy is greater than giving a 3rd for a fifth. In other words top 10+5th > late 1st + 3.

As for trading up for a top Quarterback prospect, it’s the only way to get a top prospect in today’s NFL, everyone wants to build around a rookie contract QB. The fact that a top prospect lasted until 7th was an anomaly.  If you want a top prospect you either need to be picking at 1 or 2  or be ready to trade up.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So petty.  I’m sure if you posted every writers and most posters pictures (not mine because I’m hot), they are way bigger dorks out there.

I bet you'd like to look as good as Rodger.    In your dreams, Corney...

The trade ups don't bother me at all. Both prices were reasonable considering the targets. 

If both guys are Pro Bowl caliber, it's a non issue. I think Edmunds will get there, but I have my concerns about Allen.

The concerns about the OL, QB room, Mcdermott's vision,  playmakers on offense, dead money, soft defense, etc. are all fair until proven otherwise.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

The Ringer has a very small handful of writers that produce quality content. This dude is not one of them. 

He had this great take, hysterical!

My scouting report on Christian Hackenberg

STRENGTHS tall, looks like a QB

WEAKNESSES throwing footballs, pocket awareness, playing QB

3 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

They used 6 1-3 round picks to draft 3 players, Allen, Edmunds and Harrison.  Even if all 3 of those players are good for a rebuilding team with a ton of needs that is not smart.

Would you not say getting two guys you see as your leaders for years on both sides of the ball is a good start at rebuilding?

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ah yes. The classic TSW takedown of a writer when they negatively critique the Buffalo Bills.  Not at all predictable.  ;)

Is it not OK to challenge him?

how many folks before the draft last year were saying you have to get the QB no matter what?