The Ringer's Rodger Sherman Does Not "Respect the Process"

26CornerBlitz

How the Bills Went From Surprise Playoff Team to Nathan Peterman Performance Art

By Rodger Sherman Sep 13, 2018, 1:01pm EDT

WhatAreTheBillsDoing_Getty_AP_Ringer.0.j

Buffalo’s front office entered this offseason with a plan. It’s just not entirely clear what that plan was.

It’s sad to see the Bills’ playoff squad has turned into a football abomination. But my hope is that this change is part of a boldly pragmatic assessment of the roster focused on football and not feelings, and that it will set up Buffalo up for long-term success. Unfortunately, this team is run by people who have repeatedly given Nathan Peterman the opportunity to start professional football games. Why should we trust them?
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

So in the article he says a couple really stupid things.  One glaring one is that he said drafting a QB and MLB to lead your offense and defense is not preparing for the future.  On the contrary, it is precisely what you do when preparing for the future.  It is exactly what you do.  And of course he calls Allen and abject failure with no data to back it up.

Just another blowhard.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, oldmanfan said:

So in the article he says a couple really stupid things.  One glaring one is that he said drafting a QB and MLB to lead your offense and defense is not preparing for the future.  On the contrary, it is precisely what you do when preparing for the future.  It is exactly what you do.  And of course he calls Allen and abject failure with no data to back it up.

Just another blowhard.

Why is it that you seem to be upset by any criticism of the Bills whether it be from fans or media? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Skins Malone said:

And why is Allen a failure?  The only thing i agree on is it does look bad starting Peterman who has looked absolutely terrible from an outsiders perspective.  

It's far too soon to say anything about what he is or is not with any conviction. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why is it that you seem to be upset by any criticism of the Bills whether it be from fans or media? 

Why is it you think that?  I was very critical myself after the abomination last week, and said here several times they deserve whatever criticism they get.  I do read carefully though, and am willing to challenge stuff that is just dumb.

As to this article, to say that drafting a potential long term QB and long term leader for your D is not preparing for the future is just idiotic.  How many times have we read here and elsewhere that until you have a QB you have nothing?  And I'd say the same for the defensive side, especially with McD's defensive scheme.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just another blowhard.

You might try reading the article again, only this time for comprehension, not just to find ammunition to blast "the media".   Sherman criticized using so many picks to get only a QB and a MLB when there were so many holes that needed to be addressed and weren't.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just another blowhard.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Why is it you think that?  I was very critical myself after the abomination last week, and said here several times they deserve whatever criticism they get.  I do read carefully though, and am willing to challenge stuff that is just dumb.

As to this article, to say that drafting a potential long term QB and long term leader for your D is not preparing for the future is just idiotic.  How many times have we read here and elsewhere that until you have a QB you have nothing?  And I'd say the same for the defensive side, especially with McD's defensive scheme.

to be fair, i think you must take the entire context of that statement. if you do so, i believe he was alluding to the fact that they traded up three times to get Allen and Edmunds which cost them precious draft capital to do. i believe his point was that teams building for the future would have taken the BPA and saved those picks to fill other obvious holes.

again just my take.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

I believe what he was trying to say was without a OL and WRs your QB really does not matter.

In otherwords which comes first; the egg or the chicken or another way is putting the horse

before the cart.

Com on guys. This team as constructed, it makes no difference who the QB is. 4-12 or 1-15 a difference?

I disagree wholeheartedly with this line:

... In this year’s draft, the front office traded up three times: twice to get Allen (at a huge disadvantage in terms of draft pick value) and once to get linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. Those aren’t moves made by a team looking to build for the future.

If trading up for a raw small school QB with huge upside and a barely-20 years old freaky athletic defensive-centerpiece-for-the-next-decade type MLB aren't 'moves made by a team looking to build for the future'...I dunno what those moves are supposed to be then. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

All I can say is, what does this guy(Rodger Sherman) want?

How is drafting Josh Allen & Tremaine Edmunds not building for the future? Quarterback & Linebacker were our biggest needs, and we addressed that in the first round! What should we have done instead?! Drafted a Cornerback & a Tight End?

Also he needs to get his facts straight. Jeremy Kerley was with the 49'ers last year.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

You might try reading the article again, only this time for comprehension, not just to find ammunition to blast "the media".   Sherman criticized using so many picks to get only a QB and a MLB when there were so many holes that needed to be addressed and weren't.

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

to be fair, i think you must take the entire context of that statement. if you do so, i believe he was alluding to the fact that they traded up three times to get Allen and Edmunds which cost them recious draft capital to do. i believe his point was that teams building for the future would have taken the BPA and saved those picks to fill other obvious holes.

again just my take.

Edmunds looks promising, but with the the draft capital expended to acquire him he has to be a long term great MLB on the level of Luke Kuechly.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoTier said:

I read it. And it is precisely that idea that I find ridiculous.  How many times have he heard throughout the league that the QB position is the most important one by far in terms of having a successful team.  They did what they had to do to get their guy, to prepare for the future.  and then got a young, freakish athlete to stabilize their D around for the future.

That almost by definition is building for the future.  You may want to focus more of your attention on how Terry wants his team to fail just so a billionaire can make more money.  That's your favorite as I recall.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

to be fair, i think you must take the entire context of that statement. if you do so, i believe he was alluding to the fact that they traded up three times to get Allen and Edmunds which cost them precious draft capital to do. i believe his point was that teams building for the future would have taken the BPA and saved those picks to fill other obvious holes.

again just my take.

I get that.  And they did so to get two hopefully mainstays of their team for years to come.

Years to come.  That's sort of like saying the future.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

All I can say is, what does this guy(Rodger Sherman) want?

How is drafting Josh Allen & Tremaine Edmunds not building for the future? Quarterback & Linebacker were are biggest needs, and we addressed that in the first round! What should we have done instead?! Drafted a Cornerback & a Tight End?

Also he needs to get his facts straight. Jeremy Kerley was with the 49'ers last year.

I don't worry about smaller details like what team Jeremy Kerley played for last season.   Again Edmunds better be damned special. 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

... I get that.  And they did so to get two hopefully mainstays of their team for years to come.

Years to come.  That's sort of like saying the future.

and to be fair to you, Indy. he does seem to contradict himself in the very next paragraph where he states:

They made the tough but wise decision to focus on building for the future instead of settling for players who did something that felt meaningful. Yet the way they’ve carried out that decision has been baffling. ...

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1