Accountability

Kirby Jackson

In all honesty, McDermott doesn't strike me as intelligent enough to be able to speak honestly or directly in a live setting without saying the wrong thing.

He has a clearly defined script of "coach speak" and he has learned to speak in that manner.

He knows that if he deviates from the script he might put his foot in his mouth or say something he regrets, so he never goes off script, ever.

Really not a surprise here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

But he does need to look at the tape. Viewed in the context of the game situation and play call, it will reveal a ton of information about individual performance. And you know that as well as anyone. Like I said, his personality doesn't lend itself to the kind of outrage we need to see and hear from him publicly; it's the same story after every blowout loss and there have been several now. 

My bigger concern is how flat this team looked coming out. That's on the coaches as well as the players. He just may not be head coach material. 

I didn’t even need specifics though. He doesn’t need tape to figure out why they had 0 1st downs at halftime. His team was flat and he clearly made some mistakes with the depth chart. I just wanted him to say that it was a disaster and they’ll work on it. Hopefully today will be a little more transparent with a little less lip service.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t even need specifics though. He doesn’t need tape to figure out why they had 0 1st downs at halftime. His team was flat and he clearly made some mistakes with the depth chart. I just wanted him to say that it was a disaster and they’ll work on it. Hopefully today will be a little more transparent with a little less lip service.

I understand. Just be prepared for further disappointment. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

“I have to look at the tape” = “it’s hard to win in the nfl”

Your transformation from TSW's unabashed #1 Dick Jauron defender to a staunch critic of "playing not to lose" is some Old Testament level sh*t.........PREACH brother!.......take the gospel to these Gentiles!?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not looking for a pissing match but in the spirit of “accountability” I would expect you and the other Petermaniacs to have some as well. No one likes to be wrong but we all are sometimes.

I already made my case with photos and breakdowns. If you want to discount detailed and thoughtful replies with one line "nuh-uhs", that's your right, but it makes you look like a simple minded petulant child. That seems to be par for the course around here though.

Edited by BullBuchanan

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I understand. Just be prepared for further disappointment. 

That’s what I’m expecting. It just makes me trust him and respect him less. I don’t need the Tebow speech after the game but just a little more ownership over that mess. 

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I already made my case with photos and breakdowns. If you want to discount detailed and thoughtful replies with one line "nuh-uhs", that's your right, but it makes you look like a simple minded petulant child. That seems to be part for the course around here though.

You made your case that he wasn’t at fault with a 0.0 rating!! That’s distorting the truth. He was an utter abomination. Peterman wasn’t the only problem but he was a massive one (again). 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hank Bullough: 

--"We'll have a good work ethnic."

--"He did it on the spare of the moment."

--"He's making improvement throwing the ball where he's throwing the ball."

--"We keep beating ourselves, but we're getting better at it."

--"It took the sails right out of our wind."

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

In all honesty, McDermott doesn't strike me as intelligent enough to be able to speak honestly or directly in a live setting without saying the wrong thing.

He has a clearly defined script of "coach speak" and he has learned to speak in that manner.

He knows that if he deviates from the script he might put his foot in his mouth or say something he regrets, so he never goes off script, ever.

Really not a surprise here.

I believe McD is intelligent enough to speak honestly and directly, if he wanted to.  McD is not dumb, but seems to be loyal to a fault.  His approach is to tell the media nothing and handle everything behind closed doors.  How he'll handle yesterday's disaster will be seen in six days.  But he's not going to berate his coaches and players on tv or in the papers.  This is essentially the Belichick approach, only less gruff.

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I already made my case with photos and breakdowns. If you want to discount detailed and thoughtful replies with one line "nuh-uhs", that's your right, but it makes you look like a simple minded petulant child. That seems to be par for the course around here though.

I dunno what you thought you proved with those photo's and breakdowns but I can promise you it wasn't what you thought.

it was a fairly pathetic attempt at passing blame..... you are literally the only person on the planet that thinks the long INT over KB was the wr's fault.

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I dunno what you thought you proved with those photo's and breakdowns but I can promise you it wasn't what you thought.

it was a fairly pathetic attempt at passing blame..... you are literally the only person on the planet that thinks the long INT over KB was the wr's fault.

Thanks for your contribution.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Thanks for your contribution.

you're welcome. almost as valuable to the board as your attempts at defending those int's yesterday. 

i'll give you credit. at least yours was good for some comic relief.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I believe McD is intelligent enough to speak honestly and directly, if he wanted to.  McD is not dumb, but seems to be loyal to a fault.  His approach is to tell the media nothing and handle everything behind closed doors.  How he'll handle yesterday's disaster will be seen in six days.  But he's not going to berate his coaches and players on tv or in the papers.  This is essentially the Belichick approach, only less gruff.

I don't expect him to berate coaches and players, but his entire tone and approach to these PCs is inappropriate IMO.  It's disingenuous and insulting to everyone in the press room and the fans watching and listening.  He can offer more in the way of genuine commentary without throwing anyone under the bus.

I wouldn't want him to throw people under the bus, BTW.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't expect him to berate coaches and players, but his entire tone and approach to these PCs is inappropriate IMO.  It's disingenuous and insulting to everyone in the press room and the fans watching and listening.  He can offer more in the way of genuine commentary without throwing anyone under the bus.

I wouldn't want him to throw people under the bus, BTW.

I don't feel insulted in the least. I personally cant believe its such an issue for people. there is basically nothing he could say about yesterday that would make a difference or make me feel any better.

that's just me though I guess. 

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

thanks. almost as valuable to the board as your attempts at defending those int's yesterday. 

i'll give you credit. at least yours was good for some comic relief.

How many scoring drives did your savior have in 6 less minutes of football? One? Ok, cool. Glad we dismantled the whole team so hauschka could get a second crack at 3 points.

You'd have an argument if your boy wonder came in and had markedly different results. If you want to hang your hat on a couple first downs, have at it. Neither QB caused this team to get 47 points dropped on them and neither forced the team to be unwilling and unable to run, catch, or block.

Aaron Rodgers wasn't scoring 7 touchdowns to win that game.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

How many scoring drives did your savior have in 6 less minutes of football? One? Ok, cool. Glad we dismantled the whole team so hauschka could get a second crack at 3 points.

You'd have an argument if your boy wonder came in and had markedly different results. If you want to hang your hat on a couple first downs, have at it. Neither QB caused this team to get 47 points dropped on them and neither forced the team to be unwilling and unable to run, catch, or block.

lots of words being put in my mouth here.... I have no clue what you've seen from me for you to act as though I've thought allen is some sort of savior. not even close man. 

between the 2 of us there is only one person with a love affair for either qb…. quick hint. its not me.

pointing out how bad Peterman was doesn't mean I think allen is ready or a for sure superstar. try to be able to separate things like that. it would help. 

that being said. if you watched yesterdays game and came away thinking "Peterman should still have the job", well then..... just.... WOW. there wouldn't be much more I could say to that.

7 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Again, it wasn't comparing resumes it was more a matter of even one of the best of all time had his first 5-11 season. Additionally, do you remember the post-game presser after the 41-14 drubbing the Pats took against the Chiefs? The simple line, "We're on to Cincinnatti" was used over and over....he did say the coaching and playing were both bad, but that's about it. "We're on to Cincinnatti"....again, the point is that people want a sacrificial lamb on the alter after a game like that but refuse to acknowledge that's just to make themselves feel better, it's not because it truly accomplishes anything for the team. 

The larger point is that by McD remaining silent or stoic when the easy choice is to say what he's truly feeling is exactly what the players need. They don't need to be hung out to dry with the media, they know they played terribly. What they need is for a HC and staff to take the heat and then come together in the locker room on Tuesday and say, "F this, we're not playing like that anymore!".....and for the coaches to speak directly to them, not the media. 

As for Peterman, I'm not a fan and I think the change to Allen is a no-brainer. But, McD said Allen would have to earn it and that Peterman did earn it by showing well in Pre-Season. It's obvious for all of Peterman's hard work, he didn't progress - so now, it's Allen time. McD was true to his word, Peterman played himself out of a job - let the Allen ear begin. 

You make valid points on all accounts.  

I sincerely hope he has this team better prepared Sunday when we take the field vs the Chargers.  

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe so but managing the public is a big part of a head coaches’ job. He isn’t doing anyone favors by getting the media, and in turn the fans, worked up. When that happens, he, and his team lose the benefit of the doubt. 

No offense, but when you're trying to get wins, you may respond, "who cares"?  Player respect is far more important than what fans think.

6 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

No offense, but when you're trying to get wins, you may respond, "who cares"?  Player respect is far more important than what fans think.

Do you think that the players will respect him if he runs Peterman out there again? Do you think that they all still respect him for doing that yesterday? 

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He had more than a couple also that only sounds bad when the person your comparing him to has more than one(Did he even have 1 the only one I really remember was a running play where McCoy refused to not have production)