Kelvin Benjamin is NOT a Number 1 WR - Being Phased Out with the Youth Movement

26CornerBlitz

Kelvin Benjamin among Bills wideouts dropping the ball

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Wide receivers for the Buffalo Bills began last season on a historically bad pace. Their production this season has been better, but not by much.

Bills wideouts have 21 catches through Week 3, an NFL low, and 250 receiving yards, fourth-worst in the league. The Bills have one touchdown caught by a wide receiver and have been credited by ESPN Stats & Information with five drops among their wide receivers, a drops-per-target rate of 11.1 percent that is the NFL's worst.

Kelvin Benjamin, who made it clear two weeks ago that he is the team's No. 1 receiver, has only six catches and 58 receiving yards through three games.

"God damn, [have] we been throwing at all?" Benjamin said Thursday when asked to react to his stat line. "But to be honest, man, it is what it is. We got 13 games left. We all know the last 13 games, a dude could go crazy each game. I'm just working, man. Just getting better. Feeling good. We gonna keep grinding and keep building this relationship with Josh [Allen]."

40 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Wide receivers for the Buffalo Bills began last season on a historically bad pace. Their production this season has been better, but not by much.

Bills wideouts have 21 catches through Week 3, an NFL low, and 250 receiving yards, fourth-worst in the league. The Bills have one touchdown caught by a wide receiver and have been credited by ESPN Stats & Information with five drops among their wide receivers, a drops-per-target rate of 11.1 percent that is the NFL's worst.

Kelvin Benjamin, who made it clear two weeks ago that he is the team's No. 1 receiver, has only six catches and 58 receiving yards through three games.

"God damn, [have] we been throwing at all?" Benjamin said Thursday when asked to react to his stat line. "But to be honest, man, it is what it is. We got 13 games left. We all know the last 13 games, a dude could go crazy each game. I'm just working, man. Just getting better. Feeling good. We gonna keep grinding and keep building this relationship with Josh [Allen]."

I have this sick feeling that over the last half of the season KB is going to do ok, Beane is going to extend him to big bucks and KB will never feel the need to play hard again.

15 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I have this sick feeling that over the last half of the season KB is going to do ok, Beane is going to extend him to big bucks and KB will never feel the need to play hard again.

It'll be a test for Beane then - is he going to be astute enough to pack the contract with incentives?

Pretty good Skurski article about Benjamin in TBN today (paywall, you can get a trial).

He acknowledges to Skurski " "I'm thinking first down, touchdown, instead of going up and getting the ball," he said. "More my stats than for the team. I've got to think more for the team and what's going to help the team." and acknowledges that his contract year has been a distraction.

He credits McDermott with helping him focus: " Of course it's a distraction sometimes, but I think the coaches are doing a great job with me, talking to me about it, just saying, 'You know, just go out there and play — showcase your skills and don't worry about the money of it,' " he said. "That's what coach McDermott has talked to me about." " "Just catch it," he said. "Everything else is a bonus."

Benjamin indirectly acknowledges part of what might be the problem on several underthrown Allen balls: "Benjamin agreed with McDermott's assessment that he has had his best week of practice so far, saying he feels as good physically as he has since coming into the NFL in 2014. "I mean, I'm just going out, going hard, playing fast for Josh (Allen) so we can get on the right timing," he said.

On a couple of underthrown Allen passes to Benjamin in the Chargers game,  I thought practice might be a factor, that Benjamin might not be going all-out in practice thus Allen is throwing to where he expects Benjamin to be (based on practice or previous, loaf-y game play vs Ravens) not where he actually was in that game.

57 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes, Kelvin.  Yes, we have been throwing.  And if you were catching more of what's thrown your way, you'd have better stats.

Hopefully coaches made that point to him.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It'll be a test for Beane then - is he going to be astute enough to pack the contract with incentives?

Pretty good Skurski article about Benjamin in TBN today (paywall, you can get a trial).

He acknowledges to Skurski " "I'm thinking first down, touchdown, instead of going up and getting the ball," he said. "More my stats than for the team. I've got to think more for the team and what's going to help the team." and acknowledges that his contract year has been a distraction.

He credits McDermott with helping him focus: " Of course it's a distraction sometimes, but I think the coaches are doing a great job with me, talking to me about it, just saying, 'You know, just go out there and play — showcase your skills and don't worry about the money of it,' " he said. "That's what coach McDermott has talked to me about." " "Just catch it," he said. "Everything else is a bonus."

Benjamin indirectly acknowledges part of what might be the problem on several underthrown Allen balls: "Benjamin agreed with McDermott's assessment that he has had his best week of practice so far, saying he feels as good physically as he has since coming into the NFL in 2014. "I mean, I'm just going out, going hard, playing fast for Josh (Allen) so we can get on the right timing," he said.

On a couple of underthrown Allen passes to Benjamin in the Chargers game,  I thought practice might be a factor, that Benjamin might not be going all-out in practice thus Allen is throwing to where he expects Benjamin to be (based on practice or previous, loaf-y game play vs Ravens) not where he actually was in that game.

Yes, Kelvin.  Yes, we have been throwing.  And if you were catching more of what's thrown your way, you'd have better stats.

That's actually a really good article. Thanks for that, Hap. 

What worries me about him being distracted by the contract year stuff is that once he gets that contract, how will that affect his mindset? Is he paid so now he doesn't worry about how he practices/plays at all? Or is he the kind of guy that lo9ks at the contract and says well, now I have to earn it. 

Could Also be counter productive including incentives for a guy like this as well. Instead of focusing on what's good for team, he's worrying about meeting personal milestones to get paid. 

In the end, McD and Beane know him on a personal level and know what makes him tick and they have known him for a while. We just don't. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/25/2018 at 4:50 PM, Dopey said:

Pay accordingly and he stays. Jmo.

We don't know what happened behind the scenes....Bills had a lot of cap decisions to make,we don't  know what it would have taken to keep him. In their minds they might have had to  to "over pay' to keep him.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"God damn, [have] we been throwing at all?" Benjamin said Thursday when asked to react to his stat line. "But to be honest, man, it is what it is.

God damn, have you been catching at all?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If KB was our number 2 guy I would not have such a problem with it......but there needs to be a go to pass catcher on this team.

Maybe if KB realizes that he ISNT the best WR on the team he might work harder......right now they all suck so he has no motivation

Holmes had 1 less target and the same number of yards vs the Vikes.  Made a couple of tough contested catches, and the 1 miss, he caught the ball but didn't get his 2nd foot down.

Maybe KB will get the flick:  being outperformed by a 30 year old journeyman, K.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Holmes had 1 less target and the same number of yards vs the Vikes.  Made a couple of tough contested catches, and the 1 miss, he caught the ball but didn't get his 2nd foot down.

Maybe KB will get the flick:  being outperformed by a 30 year old journeyman, K.

Really starting to feel like letting Rod Streater go was a mistake.....

I do feel that they will get this fixed...it will probably just not be this year....i have hopes that Ray Ray will pan out but I hope Beane is already looking at his offensive weapons for next year.......

Kelvin Benjamin has been a disappointment since he came to Buffalo.

He should be the leader of the WR room and should be the guy helping the other WRs improve.

To me he has shown no leadership and no real desire (so far) to be fully engaged with the success

of the team, even though this is a contract year for him.

It seems to me unless KB changes he complete attitude about playing for Buffalo starting this

Sunday he should not be considered by Beane for re-signing. 

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Kelvin Benjamin has been a disappointment since he came to Buffalo.

He should be the leader of the WR room and should be the guy helping the other WRs improve.

To me he has shown no leadership and no real desire (so far) to be fully engaged with the success

of the team, even though this is a contract year for him.

It seems to me unless KB changes he complete attitude about playing for Buffalo starting this

Sunday he should not be considered by Beane for re-signing. 

I agree with all of that, and yet our coach and GM have experience with this guy and still chose to bring him to Buffalo.

Makes no sense.

Along with repeatedly giving Nate Peterman a shot despite him being atrociously bad, place the failed Benjamin Project in the "HC has suspect judgment" file.