Why is everyone talking up the Ravens in the National Media

RPbillsfan

7 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I'm totally missing something.

The only thing about this post that's relevant.  

The Ravens were 9-7 last year, had a very good draft and have a favorable schedule outside their division.    They should be in the playoff mix again, while the Bills will struggle to win six games.    Not much to see here...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloSol said:

Your first two bullet points are factually incorrect.

Peterman has started twice we played a game against the colts last year remember?

And McCoy not being close to being elite is laughable he was 4th in the NFL in rushing yards and all purpose yards while having a qb that threw for less than 100yds multiple times, and this was last year.

Excuse me, Peterman had two starts, and he didn't finish either one.  Joe Flacco is a 9 year starter with a Super Bowl win and Super Bowl MVP award plus numerous playoff appearances and playoff wins. 

McCoy is simply no longer mentioned in the same conversation of who is the best RB in the NFL.  Just as Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson, and Marshawn Lynch are no longer considered elite.   There are numerous younger backs who are better than McCoy at this point in his career.  A RB doesn't have to be either elite or scrub, but you were the one who decided Collins was trash because he wasn't elite in your estimation.

Edited by SoTier

I keep hearing about how good the Ravens are and how they will challenge for a playoff spot in the AFC.

Really, they have an average QB with a dimenishing skill set, no top of the line running backs (sorry, don't see Alex Collins as even close to elite), an ok offensive line, very solid at T, interior decent.  The WR group dosent scare me challenging the Bills secondary and their #1 pick TE Hayden Hurst is out Sunday.

Defense is solid and not spectacular, solid outside pass rush in Suggs and Judon, very average secondary.  Defensive line is solid but again not elite and they are down two starters one on the defensive line (Willie Harris) and without their top corner in Jimmy Smith (suspended for being a knucklehead)

The special teams return game is weak, great placekicker in Justin Tucker and a good punter.

They have the look to me of a 6 win team at best.

So, please tell me why the national media is all over their jocks unless I'm totally missing something.

I take issue with that, they led the league in turnovers last year. I would say their D is just as good if not better than ours.

With all the turmoil in Pittsburgh, they could very well win the division.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe this years Bills will be 7-9, slow start with so many tough road games, strong 2nd half

That's probably the worst thing that can happen to us. We either need to be atrocious or make the playoffs again.

If we are 7-9 we get some middle of the road draft pick. 

20 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I take issue with that, they led the league in turnovers last year. I would say their D is just as good if not better than ours.

With all the turmoil in Pittsburgh, they could very well win the division.

There's no turmoil in Pittsburgh.  That organization has gone 11-4 without Bell and they have two backs ready to step in.

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

**Slowclap**

Good stuff.

Right on how I feel 

Have we made made improvements for the future?

Absolutely.

We have built a young core on cheap deals at some key positions (SS, fs, QB, cb1, MLB) and have a ton of cap room next year.

I think we are set up nicely for the next few years if the young guys pan out and we can snag an impact player or two in fa next year.

The fact remains though that until we get better at a few key positions (DL, OL, LB) we aren't going to be competitive.

We gave glaring holes and huge gaps in the roster.

Looks promising for the future though.

Not expecting much this season 

That's actually not a fact. That's called a guess, or an opinion. If someone feels the opposite it is just as valid, because it isn't a "fact".

The fact remains that nobody knows how the season will play out.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's actually not a fact. That's called a guess, or an opinion. If someone feels the opposite it is just as valid, because it isn't a "fact".

The fact remains that nobody knows how the season will play out.

Tell me where the oline, dline, or lb positions looked even average at best?

They are garbage

13 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

That's probably the worst thing that can happen to us. We either need to be atrocious or make the playoffs again.

If we are 7-9 we get some middle of the road draft pick. 

Like Tredavious White? Like Tremaine Edmunds?

Those guys went middle or late in the first round.

36 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The only thing about this post that's relevant.  

The Ravens were 9-7 last year, had a very good draft and have a favorable schedule outside their division.    They should be in the playoff mix again, while the Bills will struggle to win six games.    Not much to see here...

Two of their 9 wins were vs the Browns and they beat zero playoff teams last year. Their “very good draft” includes a 1st rounder on the shelf, another 1st rounder at 3rd string QB, and the rest are backups at the moment. The “playoff” mix in the AFC is a a steaming pile of mediocre after the blue bloods NE and Pitt,  everyone will be “in the mix”. Are they a “bad” team? Some weeks they are, but no they usually win just enough games for people to think they are good. Are they better than the Bills? Don’t know yet. Are they beatable? Of course they are. 

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Tell me where the oline, dline, or lb positions looked even average at best?

They are garbage

I don't understand the question. I never claimed they were good, bad, or anything in-between.

This time last year we were all lamenting the poor secondary, thinking they were one of the worst groups in the league. Nobody knew Poyer and thought he was a stop gap starter. How did that turn out? Now we think it is a strength.

Your opinion that they are "garbage" is just a guess, because we haven't seen them play meaningful snaps. We've only seen vanilla preseason play (without a few starters as well).

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Rico said:

Ravens miss the playoffs again & it could be John Harbaugh going to the Browns, not Jim.

Unless the Ravens go under .500 (they won't) then they would be mad, I mean crazy, to get rid of John Harbaugh. He'd be on the market about 0.1 seconds. But new GM sometimes does mean new HC....

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think it was as much a roll as schedule.  After the bye week 3 of the 6 games were against teams that had lost their starting QB for the game (GB, Hou, and Indy) and 1 game against Cleveland.  That was their wins.  The 2 games against starting QBs - Pittsburgh and Cincinnati - they lost both of those.

The Ravens looked good this preseason, but I think the Media loves Harbaugh and overthinks what kind of a coach he is.  I don’t think that team is any better or worse than the Bills right now - to me the difference is home versus away.

I anticipate it is going to come down to a couple of teams - Buffalo, Baltimore, KC for the last playoff spot just like last year and the year before.  I think the difference in the teams overall is minimal, but with a week to week league that the NFL has become - you just don’t know what team will show up until the game starts.

The Browns were 4 - 0 in preseason last year.

For whatever it's worth, they were 3 - 1 this year - Bills loss!

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Like Tredavious White? Like Tremaine Edmunds?

Those guys went middle or late in the first round.

White had an excellent rookie season, and is a valid success.  Edmunds, however, hasn't even played a single NFL game yet, but his play in preseason suggests that he probably wouldn't be starting if the Bills had sent Preston Brown packing.   He may eventually develop into a good MLB, but at this point, he's not proven to be good or bad.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

The Browns were 4 - 0 in preseason last year.

For whatever it's worth, they were 3 - 1 this year - Bills loss!

For the 999th time, a team's preseason win-loss is irrelevant to their regular season performance.  How a team plays in preseason -- the talent a team demonstrates, how discipline or undisciplined players are, and how the team executes plays, etc -- especially how the first teamers play -- are good indicators of what the team is likely to do in the regular season.  That's especially true in the 3rd preseason game in which the Bills first teamers sucked.  In fact, they got outplayed on both sides of the ball by Cinci's first and their second teamers.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't understand the question. I never claimed they were good, bad, or anything in-between.

This time last year we were all lamenting the poor secondary, thinking they were one of the worst groups in the league. Nobody knew Poyer and thought he was a stop gap starter. How did that turn out? Now we think it is a strength.

Your opinion that they are "garbage" is just a guess, because we haven't seen them play meaningful snaps. We've only seen vanilla preseason play (without a few starters as well).

Oline is garbage

Dline is garbage

Keep trying to survive on hopes and feels

I'll use my eyes

• Like (+1) 1