Survivor Pool

Doc

I'm in two pools with three entries in each.  I'm going with Carolina twice, Detroit twice, and the Rams twice.

Staying away from the prohibitive public favorites (Baltimore, New Orleans, Green Bay) like the plague this early in the season.

13 minutes ago, eball said:

If you're making your pick(s) in a survivor pool just to get through to the next week, you're doing it wrong.  Just sayin'...

How are you doing it wrong by picking what you believe to be the best option the current week?  By "saving" a team for later weeks, you're pretty much assuring that you won't see the later weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

How are you doing it wrong by picking what you believe to be the best option the current week?  By "saving" a team for later weeks, you're pretty much assuring that you won't see the later weeks.

It's not about saving a team, it's about staying away from the most popular picks while still selecting a team that has reasonable odds of advancing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

It's not about saving a team, it's about staying away from the most popular picks while still selecting a team that has reasonable odds of advancing.

I see what you're saying.  Crowded picks can eliminate a lot of people if the game ends up being an upset.  But sometimes, the best pick is the best pick.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

I see what you're saying.  Crowded picks can eliminate a lot of people if the game ends up being an upset.  But sometimes, the best pick is the best pick.

I think Green Bay, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh are sucker picks this week -- all have a legitimate chance to lose.  New Orleans is probably the safest, but they're also one of the most popular so I'm staying away because there are lots of "good" picks down the line (Detroit, Carolina, Rams).  I also try to stay away from divisional games if at all possible.

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

The Ravens are not a good pick in week one.  Unless they have some sort of Lamar Jackson big play gimmick stuff, they'll be flat on offense as usual.  

It will be a tight defensive struggle for sure but I see the Ravens moving the ball more consistently on the Bills "bend don't break" defense and slowly kicking a bunch of field goals. While I don't see the Bills offense generating much against a pretty good Raven's defense. 

I see it being a  21-10 Raven's win. That being said close defensive games come down to turnovers and one or two plays and that could swing to the Bills just as easily as it could to the Ravens.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I think Green Bay, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh are sucker picks this week -- all have a legitimate chance to lose.  New Orleans is probably the safest, but they're also one of the most popular so I'm staying away because there are lots of "good" picks down the line (Detroit, Carolina, Rams).  I also try to stay away from divisional games if at all possible.

Week 1 always has some crazy upsets, I usually get out of my suicide pool very early or very late.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I'm in two pools with three entries in each.  I'm going with Carolina twice, Detroit twice, and the Rams twice.

Staying away from the prohibitive public favorites (Baltimore, New Orleans, Green Bay) like the plague this early in the season.

I only get to pick one team per week per season...also get one rebuy but you have to correctly pick that week's Monday night game to buy back in. 

I'm personally taking the Vikings this week, my buddy and I share a pick in the pool and we're going Green Bay. He's taking the Saints like probably 50% of the country playing suicide.

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I only get to pick one team per week per season...also get one rebuy but you have to correctly pick that week's Monday night game to buy back in. 

I'm personally taking the Vikings this week, my buddy and I share a pick in the pool and we're going Green Bay. He's taking the Saints like probably 50% of the country playing suicide.

That's my big reason for going Lions. Everyone and their cocaine-addled sister are picking the Saints. IF there's an upset there, I'm golden.