Is a "Bad" Year Really All That Bad for the Bills?

Midwest1981

3 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Really?  Marcel Dareus was drafted third overall.  Not the best outcome either.

That particular case didn’t work out... but the talent was certainly there...and if he just had the work ethic required, we wouldn’t be worrying about Star...so while Marcell didn’t work out, we still need that type of elite skill.

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Exactly!!! I’ve been saying this for a while now...we are a rebuilding team but we have never had our tank year where we get a top 3 pick or are able to trade back for a boatload Of picks like the Browns or Rams or Jags...this team will need those things to help it get competitive more quickly imo.

It’s quite an achievement to go almost 20 years mired  in mediocrity without definitively rising to 11 wins or sinking to a top 3 pick

I'm thinking 7 wins but we may overachieve and get 9. I don't think 3 or 4 wins is possible for us, our floor is much higher than that. Allen wont bust but he won't blow anyone away in his first year either, may take years before he reaches his ceiling, many many many of the elite QBs took 2 sometimes 4 years before they reached a Super Bowl level but I think we end up in the playoffs frequently before that if Allen progresses. It will be a slow steady climb.

Edited by NewDayBills

2 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

This season is already set up for failure by McDermott, by starting Nathan Peterman we instantly have the worst QB in the NFL by a mile, which means it's gonna be a bad season, the big saving grace would be if came out of this season with and answer on Josh Allen,  instead he's relegated to friggen scout team reps, where he will develop exactly zero and we're gonna spend all of our real in season reps on a guy that can't make a single NFL throw to save his life. I dunno, looks like a complete loss this season and a big mess created ON POURPOSE by the HC.

Maybe they are hoping for snow storms every week so the DBs can’t cut on Petermans throws.... I have little faith right now and think the first few games are gonna be a disaster. Allen can’t beat out Peterman, that kind of lowers my thoughts on him. 

Edited by BananaB

44 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Rex was in a different situation, he inherited a top defense and was supposed to make them better and win games, he failed and lost the team while he was at it.  In this situation there is no doubt that they expect to struggle and so ownership wou t be surprised when/ if they do.  If they don’t improve in 2019 then that is when the seat gets hot. 

Different but very similar situation.

McD inherited the #1 rushing attack, good run defense and a starting QB. 

Mcds team stats were down in almost every category compared to Rex’ team. 

Several head scratchers, like starting Peterman and almost single handily sabotaged the year in LA, (cinci saved us)

There are even rumors the o-line revolted and purposely let defenders through to sack peterman. (Lost his team) for example. 

At this point, Rex is the better coach and whales was the better GM. 

Time will tell of course, if history is any indication, McD and beane has two years left here in Buffalo. 

Edited by COTC

29 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The problem is the organization thinks we already have that guy.  His name is Josh Allen.

So they aren't going to take another top QB next year, even if they should.

The most dominant, can't miss, pass rusher would be a good second choice though.

I'm hoping for either an elite Wide Receiver or DE in the draft next year.  If we get either one that would be a huge piece to the puzzle.  

35 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

When ownership signs off on the second highest dead cap hit ever then they clearly see the GM as bailing them out from a sinking ship left by the previous GM. That alone says a lot about their expectations and the leeway they give. 

The team made the playoffs on the backs of the players that the pilots of your “sinking ship” put together. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, COTC said:

Several head scratchers, like starting Peterman and almost single handily sabotaged the year in LA, (cinci saved us)

There are even rumors the o-line revolted and purposely let defenders through to sack peterman. (Lost his team) for example. 

Time will tell of course, if history is any indication, McD and beane has two years left here in Buffalo. 

Uuhhh what?

I believe you are in very small company if you honestly believe that "Rex is the better coach" and "whales was the better GM"...

37 minutes ago, COTC said:

Rex inhereted  the #4 defense, then left McD with the 19th. Rex inhereted a team that gave up 5,5 ppl fewer than he left McD with.  That seems like a big difference.

mcD inhereted a bunch of aging players with huge contracts, Rex did not have that problem. 

So McD started with a  team that was worse, older and cash strapped. Very different situation.

McD did not lose the team, they clearly play hard for him, quote him and trust the process. Whaley was a failed GM,Beane has barely gotten started. Rex was a failed coach and McD made the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, StrikeParry said:

The team made the playoffs on the backs of the players that the pilots of your “sinking ship” put together. 

The sinking ship was our cap situation. It was unsustainable.   Cordy was paid to miss most the season, Marcell was gone, Wood retired,  and Taylor needed to move on. That’s 40 mil right there. Yes we made the playoffs but the cap situation made resigning players and replacing players impossible. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Here's the question, if the Bills are the worst team in the league and Allen struggles and the undoubted best player on the board in the 2019 draft is a QB, do you take him? 

I doubt anything like that has been done in the NFL. At least not that I can think of. Back to back high first round draft pick QBs ? There aren’t enough reps for both and teams don’t usually give up on a guy after year 1. Tough call, and it’s not likely next years top player is a QB but I still say no team would be likely to do this. Not just the Bills. 

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

For the moment I am hoping for wins......with Peterman at QB

I’ll agree on hoping for wins, and regardless of who is at QB. If someone can prove to be excellent at the QB position in the regular season then they should continue playing. I don’t get the idea of some fans ( not you ) saying “ I’m rooting  for Peterman “ etc etc. That implies having a horse in the race, rooting for a guy because of who they are. I think most of us want the Bills to have a top ten in the NFL starting QB. I don’t care one bit who the heck it is. I believe it’s more likely to be Allen than NP, but who knows?

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Exactly!!! I’ve been saying this for a while now...we are a rebuilding team but we have never had our tank year where we get a top 3 pick or are able to trade back for a boatload Of picks like the Browns or Rams or Jags...this team will need those things to help it get competitive more quickly imo.

it would have been better to do bad last year so we didn't have to trade all that draft capital.

Losing is not the way to get better.

Win now, win latter.

• Like (+1) 2