Is John Elway on the Hot Seat?

BuffaloRush

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's absolutely bunged the Qb spot at every opportunity.  He's gone after this year if they suck again.

dropped to 22nd in points allowed last season...

If keenum is at least average they’ll be ok.  They will have a good run game with freeman. 

31 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

He’s made some mistakes but he’s also led them to a super bowl not that long ago.

That alone deserves him a chance to iron out some of his mistakes IMO

Let’s not forget, Broncos won the SB with the lowest rated QBs in the NFL that year and Manning’s SB performance was the worst in history by a winning QB.  That’s D and run game won the SB, not the QB play.

All GMs are wring more than they are right, not his fault he had very little to choose from in the draft with Paxton.  They were smart enough NOT to pay Brock while Houston gave him a contract grosser than his on field play.  

Elway knows with a run game, stout D and solid QB play you can go deep, and challenge for a title.  That D is looking good, the run game has major potential as I think Royce Freeman is this years Kareem Hunt, and all Keenum has to do is be solid and they will make the playoffs.  And if Keenum is better than solid, they can be a dangerous team.

I think the only way Elway is on a hot seat is if Keenum is a train wreck.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let’s not forget, Broncos won the SB with the lowest rated QBs in the NFL that year and Manning’s SB performance was the worst in history by a winning QB.  That’s D and run game won the SB, not the QB play.

All GMs are wring more than they are right, not his fault he had very little to choose from in the draft with Paxton.  They were smart enough NOT to pay Brock while Houston gave him a contract grosser than his on field play.  

Elway knows with a run game, stout D and solid QB play you can go deep, and challenge for a title.  That D is looking good, the run game has major potential as I think Royce Freeman is this years Kareem Hunt, and all Keenum has to do is be solid and they will make the playoffs.  And if Keenum is better than solid, they can be a dangerous team.

I am a Keenum fan as you know but I think there is someone else capable of sinking their season.... and unfortunately for Elway that person is still his Head Coach. I wouldn't let Joseph lead a lunch queue let alone a football team. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

If keenum is at least average they’ll be ok.  They will have a good run game with freeman. 

They were ranked 12th in yards and had only 8 rushing TDs!

If keenum is average, they will still finish last in the division.

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

John Fox did NOT win a Superbowl with Denver. He was fired and replaced by Gary Kubiak who won a Superbowl then went (I think 8-8) then retired with health concerns. 

Yeah exactly -- I was reading the original post like what is this guy even talking about? Strange to make a post like this and get such material facts incorrect.

52 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Keenum hasn’t even taken a regular season snap and who knows what Dough Boy will do....he may turn out to be decent.

To sum up your post, QB makes or breaks almost every GM in the history of modern football.

And, yes, I have loved in Broncos country in my Air Force days but that discussion is for the PPP.

...he walks on water with the Bowen family IMO.....

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let’s not forget, Broncos w.on the SB with the lowest rated QBs in the NFL that year and Manning’s SB performance was the worst in history by a winning QB.  That’s D and run game won the SB, not the QB play

That D wasn't there last year.  How do they win that division even with just solid QB play?

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am a Keenum fan as you know but I think there is someone else capable of sinking their season.... and unfortunately for Elway that person is still his Head Coach. I wouldn't let Joseph lead a lunch queue let alone a football team. 

I agree he sucks

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

That D wasn't there last year.  How do they win that division even with just solid QB play?

Man awful offense will hurt the D.  I think the D will be better this year

4 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Yeah exactly -- I was reading the original post like what is this guy even talking about? Strange to make a post like this and get such material facts incorrect.

Sorry guys....I screwed up and forgot that Kubiak took over.  The point is still the same, Vance Joseph was a bad hire

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly....the D wasn’t good yet the talent is still there and the HC has a defensive background.  It shows what a bad hire Joseph was - this is all on Elway

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

I don’t follow the Denver Broncos much but if I did, I’d be less than thrilled with the job John Elways is doing as GM.

Sure he gets a tremendous amount of leeway and goodwill given his 2015 Super Bowl and of course his legendary career as Broncos QB.  But he needed, perhaps the greatest QB in NFL history.  But with the greatest QB of all time on your roster, you can make the argument they should have won more 1 Super Bowl, and that those teams were underachievers losing several times to inferior teams.  

Plus, the years after Peyton’s retirement Denver have been disappointing.  After winning a Super Bowl, Denver barely had a winning record and failed to make the playoffs.  But the wheels came off completely in 2017.

IMO, Elway has been responsible for several major decisions that have failed big time.

- Hiring Vance Joseph who at the time was the defensive coordinator of a Miami defense that was near the bottom of the league.  This hiring decision baffled me, I never saw anything from Joseph that made me think he was a quality HC.  He turned in a 4-12 season with a roster that Elway felt was ready to “win now.”

- The plan at QB has been a mess.  Elway has had no answer since moving on from Manning despite being regarded as one of the greatest QB’s ever himself.  What should be his forte has been a struggle.  It started with moving up to draft Paxton Lynch as the franchise QB.  Today they released him after a little over 2 years.  This should be regarded as a tremendous failure, the type of move that would get other GM’s fired.  Keep in mind, drafting Lynch in 2015 would be akin to drafting Bradford or Allen this past year.  It was a tremendous whiff.  Not to mention, the team felt confident enough with to think that Trevor Simian was a competent starting QB.  Again a huge miscalculation.  

- Hiring Mike McCoy as the OC To fix the offense and save the QB situation.  Again, this was a miserable failure.  Not sure if this one is on Joseph or Elways but given McCoy’s previous experience in Denver and the fact that Joseph was a new coach, it would not surprise me for Elway to have been involved with this hire.  Either way, this was a disaster and McCoy was gone a few months later. 

- Could Elway’s decision to pass up on a quality QB prospect (Allen, Rosen, Jackson etc) and roll with somewhat of a journeyman QB in Case Keenum, lead to his departure?  

Between these issues, if I’m a fan I’m really wondering if the franchise is headed in the right direction. 

Does anyone else feel this way?  I’d be curious to hear from any Bills fans that love in Broncos country.

his drafting has been pretty bad...Paxton Lynch was waived after doing essentially nothing in his time there other than look terrible and cry on the sidelines, and many of his picks from last years draft class were cut as well...

Vance Joseph was a "meh" hire

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is about as abysmal as you can get for a drafting record

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

The result since Manning retired:

2 seasons 

13 wins, 19 losses

0 playoff appearances

My bad, I meant to quote @Binghamton Beast

Yes, apart from winning that Super Bowl.....

That’s a pretty major resume line you’ve hacked out from your spite, kiddo.....