Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

Defense Ready to Shoulder Early Load for 2018 Bills

It’s the side of the ball for the Bills that has been largely ignored through the preseason. Buried under the polarizing interest of the team’s quarterback competition, Buffalo’s defensive unit has quietly gone about its business.

Set to begin season two in their defensive system under coordinator Leslie Frazier, the bar has been collectively raised for what they expect of themselves in 2018.

The defensive unit also knows with a new starter at quarterback, operating a new offensive scheme, they will need to be the spearhead of the team in the early going.

“Our goal is always to win and to do that you have to take the ball away. We want to be a top five defense,” said Lorenzo Alexander. “We want to be the leaders of this team as far as giving our offense advantageous field position, short fields. The main reason why is because we understand we’re going to have a young quarterback in terms of experience. So, we need to help the offense out as much as we can.
  • Like (+1) 2

Sometimes when "experts" describe a game as lobsided, it's because it's lobsided.

I don't think fans have come to terms with just how bad this roster is. 

I expect a terrible season. Not because I want them to fail, but because facts take precedent over emotion. There's no doubt many of these "experts" possess little knowledge of what the Bills have going on. We're a small market team without much cache, so I've gotten used to it. They'd rather discuss the Cowboys linebacking core than our QB situation. At the same time, just because they don't know why the Bills are gonna be bad doesn't mean their conclusion is incorrect.

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Defense Ready to Shoulder Early Load for 2018 Bills

It’s the side of the ball for the Bills that has been largely ignored through the preseason. Buried under the polarizing interest of the team’s quarterback competition, Buffalo’s defensive unit has quietly gone about its business.

Set to begin season two in their defensive system under coordinator Leslie Frazier, the bar has been collectively raised for what they expect of themselves in 2018.

The defensive unit also knows with a new starter at quarterback, operating a new offensive scheme, they will need to be the spearhead of the team in the early going.

“Our goal is always to win and to do that you have to take the ball away. We want to be a top five defense,” said Lorenzo Alexander. “We want to be the leaders of this team as far as giving our offense advantageous field position, short fields. The main reason why is because we understand we’re going to have a young quarterback in terms of experience. So, we need to help the offense out as much as we can.

They are going to have to IMO.  The offense is behind the sticks if you will.  Anytime a team is just naming a starter at two of the most pivotal positions in the Center of your offense they are behind the sticks.

13 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Sometimes when "experts" describe a game as lobsided, it's because it's lobsided.

I expect a terrible season. Not because I want them to fail, but because facts take precedent over emotion. There's no doubt many of these "experts" possess little knowledge of what the Bills have going on. We're a small market team without much cache, so I've gotten used to it. They'd rather discuss the Cowboys linebacking core than our QB situation. At the same time, just because they don't know why the Bills are gonna be bad doesn't mean their conclusion is incorrect.

Lobsided?  Come on, man.

Anyway, particularly at the beginning of a season the "experts" are very often wrong when assessing how teams will perform.  Last year's Bills are perfect example, which is why it's somewhat surprising you'd post something like this.

34 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's the spirit.

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This year will show how underrated Tyrod was by most of the fan base here, IMO.

I wasn't against them moving on from him and they absolutely needed to take a first round QB, but not having him with this roster is going to result in a rough season. As long as Allen shows progress it will be worth it.

How exactly will this year show how underrated Taylor was?

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Turnovers will increase pretty significantly, offense will be worse and the team will be worse. 

So you predict more turnovers (I'm assuming INTs), offense will be 'worse' (in 2017 they were 29th in yards/game and 22nd in points/game, I think it's very unlikely they'll be worse in both those categories), team will be 'worse' (in W/L I'm assuming, definitely not a function of the quarterback in singularity: SOS, FA, injuries etc play at least as large a role)...and you chalk all that up to the loss of Taylor? That's pessimistic and overly generous to his impact on the team IMO.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the offense will be better than last season. In terms of more points scored, more yards accumulated. So I'll actually hypothesize that Taylor, while having terrific ball security (no question one of his best attributes), was actually a hinderance to production and his being gone will result in an improved offense. Which is not really a stretch imo, and that's even taking into account the turnover on the offensive line. 

Put it this way: if 3/5 of the line is different from last year and the offense STILL manages to put up better numbers, wouldn't you have to conclude that Taylor was holding them back?

• Like (+1) 1

New Ravens Wide Receivers Are Out to Prove Doubters Wrong

General Manager Ozzie Newsome hit the reset button at wide receiver this offseason, jettisoning Jeremy Maclin and letting free agents Mike Wallace and Michael Campanaro walk.

Newsome then built it back up by signing free agent John Brown, pouncing on released veteran Michael Crabtree immediately after he was released by the Raiders, then pulling restricted free agent Willie Snead IV away from the Saints.

It was aggressive – bold. And if offseason practices and preseason games are any indication, the moves will pay off in a big way.

But was it enough? Will it work this time?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Tyrods ability to sustain drives and make plays with his legs while not turning it over will be missed and lead to more losses. Couple that with what looks to be a very bad offensive line and yes, I expect the offense to be worse. 

Taylor has his limitations, but Dennison was holding the offense back more than Tyrod was considering what the offense did the prior two years with Tyrod and without Dennison.

That's an interesting proposition. If we just look at his ability to sustain drives, since 2015 we've been 20th, 10th, and 21st in Drive Success Rate (% of down series resulting in either a first down or TD). One year of above average success per offensive series, and two years below average. 2015 was actually not a great year in terms of offensive drives if you dive into the numbers: 17th in yards/drive and 14th in TOP/drive- basically average or slightly below average. 2016 was the obvious outlier with DSR good for 10th (these are all league averages), but again: TOP/drive (which I maintain negatively affects the defense) at 18th, yards per drive at 14th. That's bang on average...not exactly an example of a QB sustaining drives at a high level, and that TOP figure isn't adjusted (as far as I know) for particular offenses meaning 18th for the Bills, a team who rushed the ball at a much higher rate than league averages, is probably even lower than that. 2017 the wheels came completely off as we all know with yards per drive 19th, TOP per drive 22nd, DSR 21st. So overall during his tenure Taylor's led a middling/bad offense, and one that can pretty easily be improved on imo.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Tyrods ability to sustain drives and make plays with his legs while not turning it over will be missed and lead to more losses. Couple that with what looks to be a very bad offensive line and yes, I expect the offense to be worse. 

Taylor has his limitations, but Dennison was holding the offense back more than Tyrod was considering what the offense did the prior two years with Tyrod and without Dennison.

Tyrod may well have been under utilized to his skill set as he regressed each year from what he did very well his first season. Run and hit Wrs deep. he could also throw on the run. But he had receivers back then as well.

Be interesting to take note of Browns s they go under Taylor.

Glad Dennison is gone honestly.

Teams are still going to stack the box against us. But they no longer need someone to spy the QB (Taylor). > Peterman.
But it will also be a different Offense, so i hold out hope for Nate and then Allen. I am a Daboll fan as of right now  : )

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's an interesting proposition. If we just look at his ability to sustain drives, since 2015 we've been 20th, 10th, and 21st in Drive Success Rate (% of down series resulting in either a first down or TD). One year of above average success per offensive series, and two years below average. 2015 was actually not a great year in terms of offensive drives if you dive into the numbers: 17th in yards/drive and 14th in TOP/drive- basically average or slightly below average. 2016 was the obvious outlier with DSR good for 10th (these are all league averages), but again: TOP/drive (which I maintain negatively affects the defense) at 18th, yards per drive at 14th. That's bang on average...not exactly an example of a QB sustaining drives at a high level, and that TOP figure isn't adjusted (as far as I know) for particular offenses meaning 18th for the Bills, a team who rushed the ball at a much higher rate than league averages, is probably even lower than that. 2017 the wheels came completely off as we all know with yards per drive 19th, TOP per drive 22nd, DSR 21st. So overall during his tenure Taylor's led a middling/bad offense, and one that can pretty easily be improved on imo.

T o play both sides of the fence. I agree. Last year Tyrod was inconsistent at moving the chains and poor at maintaining drives.

And yes, it would take but a coherent OC and some cohesive effort from the  rag tag ( lol ) group besides Shady to move above last years stat sheet.

An Honest passing game will help the run for sure. Lets hope Nate can hit some deep balls, or throw his guys open into space as McD has mentioned i praising Peterman.

Raven are a good test i feel

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

axxo5s.jpg

Thanks 26 !          I still need a cheat sheet for some players and definitely depth players for sunday. this works perfect

alos 

Can Teller play swing Guard ?
This is why i figured Bodine to take up center. Groy was too valuable as he could play all the interior positions.  But if he is the best at the positions? McBeanes will have to be fair to him and give him the job.

What happens If Miller goes down? Bring up PS guy ? Move Bodine to RG ?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Thanks 26 !          I still need a cheat sheet for some players and definitely depth players for sunday. this works perfect

alos 

Can Teller play swing Guard ?
This is why i figured Bodine to take up center. Groy was too valuable as he could play all the interior positions.  But if he is the best at the positions? McBeanes will have to be fair to him and give him the job.

What happens If Miller goes down? Bring up PS guy ? Move Bodine to RG ?

Ducasse can’t play either guard really but he plays both sides. So if Miller goes down they can put in Teller where he is comfortable and Ducasse can roll over. Or they can put in Bodine and play Groy at G. 

All of those options are horrific. 

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Ducasse can’t play either guard really but he plays both sides. So if Miller goes down they can put in Teller where he is comfortable and Ducasse can roll over. Or they can put in Bodine and play Groy at G. 

All of those options are horrific. 

well moving Groy off center after starting him there is not my favorite option, thats for sure. Ducasse played RG till this offseason i thought. so Bills must have a plan when they moved him.
 hoping Teller comes stays focused and ready ! would like to see him this year improved and prepared enough to relegate Vlad to where he is likely best fro the team. a decent to good back up.

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

well moving Groy off center after starting him there is not my favorite option, thats for sure. Ducasse played RG till this offseason i thought. so Bills must have a plan when they moved him.
 hoping Teller comes stays focused and ready ! would like to see him this year improved and prepared enough to relegate Vlad to where he is likely best fro the team. a decent to good back up.

So that means the Bills have to dress 8 OL on Sundays.

Starting 5

Bodine

Teller

Newhouse

Makes the 46 tougher.  Especially with Jones and Holmes as ST'ers.

Will they be able to dress Murphy?

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Starting 5

Bodine

Teller

Newhouse

I believe Murphy is the KR/PR so he'll be in. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Starting 5

Bodine

Teller

Newhouse

Teller Bodine and Newhouse are on the starting roster i thought ?

I think they have to find a way to keep Murphy in the rotation. unless you are talking about the DE : )

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Those stats are all fine and well but they don't nearly tell the whole story.(Which is why I hate statsitics to begin with)

Do you have a stat for how many times the Bills ran it on 1st and 2nd down into a wall only to have Taylor try and bail them out on 3rd and long?(which he did a pretty good job of) 

The Bills game plan last season was to be aggressive to start games and get a lead and then go into a shell holding on for dear life until time expired. Aka Jauron ball and it worked mostly because of Taylor.

i saw timid play calling from the Offense as well once a lead was on the Bills scoreboard 

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

No.  I'm talking about dressing the 46 on game day.

well they list four RB and four TEs. 6 wrs .

I am not sure they dress two tackles though, is that usual?

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Starting 5

Bodine

Teller

Newhouse

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

No.  I'm talking about dressing the 46 on game day.

Good question. They will likely sit one WR (Foster), one TE, a LB, a CB, Kyle if he is not playing, and McDermott. That’s 6. Ray Ray makes 7 although he may play. If he is ok then maybe Murph is out. I would not dress Taiwan and keep Murph but McD loves Taiwan. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Good question. They will likely sit one WR (Foster), one TE, a LB, a CB, Kyle if he is not playing, and McDermott. That’s 6. Ray Ray makes 7 although he may play. If he is ok then maybe Murph is out. I would not dress Taiwan and keep Murph but McD loves Taiwan. 

As 26 said earlier, Murphy is KO/PR returner.

Interesting.  With a lot of ST'ers on offense.

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Those stats are all fine and well but they don't nearly tell the whole story.(Which is why I hate statsitics to begin with)

Do you have a stat for how many times the Bills ran it on 1st and 2nd down into a wall only to have Taylor try and bail them out on 3rd and long?(which he did a pretty good job of) 

The Bills game plan last season was to be aggressive to start games and get a lead and then go into a shell holding on for dear life until time expired. It was an ultra boring and conservative game plan that worked well enough to win 9 games.

I don't have that statistic off the top of my head, no, and it's a fair question to ask. Taylor makes plays running the ball that don't always show up on the stat sheet (or at least some of them). But if your point in asking is to claim the passing game bailed out the running game over the last 3 years...I think that's pretty well debunked.

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

As 26 said earlier, Murphy is KO/PR returner.

Interesting.  With a lot of ST'ers on offense.

He did it during preseason and looked good. But Jones was there for first kick in game three. And Ray Ray returned KO and P, and Kerley started the preseason as the PR. So they have guys that have done it this year if they need the spot. 

I want Murphy activated. But there is usually a surprise or two. Also depends on matchups and game plans.