Tracker: Bills' 2018 Practice Squad - All Ten Spots Now Filled

26CornerBlitz

And that guy won’t know the offense.  If we had a better OL, I could get on board with not having a qb on the ps.  Week 2, McCarron couldn’t finish the game.  Week 3 Allen got knocked out,.  Week 4 McCarron was getting smashed.  Ravens, Chargers, Vikings.  I’ll go on record as saying Peterman (or Allen if Peterman gets yanked) won’t make it through those 3 games without having to leave due to injury.   It’s going to a rough go up front unless Daboll can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

If the OL is going to get NP and JA knocked out in the first few games, what's the difference if AJM is on the roster or not?

Wouldn't he get knocked out in a week or two?

And that guy won’t know the offense.  If we had a better OL, I could get on board with not having a qb on the ps.  Week 2, McCarron couldn’t finish the game.  Week 3 Allen got knocked out,.  Week 4 McCarron was getting smashed.  Ravens, Chargers, Vikings.  I’ll go on record as saying Peterman (or Allen if Peterman gets yanked) won’t make it through those 3 games without having to leave due to injury.   It’s going to a rough go up front unless Daboll can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

If the Bills end up starting their 3rd QB, the season is lost anyway. 

Having a a practice squad caliber QB who knows the offense isn’t going to save them if both Nate and Josh go down. 

Might as well prioritize Allen’s development and getting him as many reps as possible, over having a crappy QB on the practice squad. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills end up starting their 3rd QB, the season is lost anyway. 

Having a a practice squad caliber QB who knows the offense isn’t going to save them if both Nate and Josh go down. 

Might as well prioritize Allen’s development and getting him as many reps as possible, over having a crappy QB on the practice squad. 

You’re assuming that the QB is out for extended periods of time.  Peterman is out for awhile and Allen comes in gets smashed and has to miss 1 or 2 weeks I wouldn’t consider that season over.  The likelihood of winning isn’t very good with a PS guy, but it sure beats signing a guy on Monday and starting him on Sunday. He won’t know anything.  

Like I said before, if our OL was better maybe I wouldn’t put a thought into a ps QB, but I currently have zero faith in these guys staying healthy game to game.  If they get hurt and are out for the year, yes, the season is over.  If they only miss a game or 2, you never know what might happen.  I believe we can beat the Jets and fins with a PS QB if Daboll knows what he’s doing.

• Like (+1) 1

If the OL is going to get NP and JA knocked out in the first few games, what's the difference if AJM is on the roster or not?

Wouldn't he get knocked out in a week or two?

AJM?

any qb on the practice squad that can learn the playbook.  He doesn’t even have to take reps.  Just pick up a playbook, learn and watch.  We’re one Ducasse whiff from only having 1 QB.  He whiffs often.  As does Miller.  As does Mills.  Good chance Groy will.  

To be eligible for PS you can't have more than 2 years in league.  Doubt a QB that green would do any good.  He'd be inactive every game, so even if both QB's got hurt in same game, you couldn't use him anyway.

If a QB were to get hurt, better option is to sign a vet who's been around and maybe someone who has played in same offense.  And most of these guys if been around awhile, have played in every offense out there at some point. 

Didn’t think about it that way.  Well said.  Didn’t know PS players could only have less than 2 years in the league 

AJM?

any qb on the practice squad that can learn the playbook.  He doesn’t even have to take reps.  Just pick up a playbook, learn and watch.  We’re one Ducasse whiff from only having 1 QB.  He whiffs often.  As does Miller.  As does Mills.  Good chance Groy will.  

Didn’t think about it that way.  Well said.  Didn’t know PS players could only have less than 2 years in the league 

AJM (for those still talking about trading him) or a PS guy.

I would say if they had someone in mind to put on the PS at QB it's OK.

My main point was about having 2 QBs knocked out, the season is pretty much toast.

Especially if you cant fix the main problem which is the OL.

AJM (for those still talking about trading him) or a PS guy.

I would say if they had someone in mind to put on the PS at QB it's OK.

My main point was about having 2 QBs knocked out, the season is pretty much toast.

Especially if you cant fix the main problem which is the OL.

I hear ya.  Makes sense if Sweet Nate Pete miss extended periods of tone.  The season will be over.  I just think that covering our bases if we need someone else to start 1-2 games vs the jets/fins/colts/bears makes sense as well.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

You’re assuming that the QB is out for extended periods of time.  Peterman is out for awhile and Allen comes in gets smashed and has to miss 1 or 2 weeks I wouldn’t consider that season over.  The likelihood of winning isn’t very good with a PS guy, but it sure beats signing a guy on Monday and starting him on Sunday. He won’t know anything.  

Like I said before, if our OL was better maybe I wouldn’t put a thought into a ps QB, but I currently have zero faith in these guys staying healthy game to game.  If they get hurt and are out for the year, yes, the season is over.  If they only miss a game or 2, you never know what might happen.  I believe we can beat the Jets and fins with a PS QB if Daboll knows what he’s doing.

McDermott already said that Logan Thomas would be QB#3 in an emergency situation. He knows the offense better than most, according to reports. They said many times when a guy has a question on Daboll’s offense, they go to Thomas. 

Id rather go with Thomas as the #3 in order to get Allen more reps, as opposed to sacrificing tons of reps for Josh Allen in favor of a different #3 QB who may not be any better than Logan Thomas in a pinch anyway.

If they were going to keep 3 QBs, they should have just kept AJ, which is personally what I thought would happen. I thought AJ would be #2 and Allen #3 in order to give Allen all the practice squad reps. 

Instead they decided to only keep 2 QBs and use Thomas in an emergency, in order to still give Allen all the practice squad reps. I am good with that, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

To be eligible for PS you can't have more than 2 years in league.  Doubt a QB that green would do any good.  He'd be inactive every game, so even if both QB's got hurt in same game, you couldn't use him anyway.

If a QB were to get hurt, better option is to sign a vet who's been around and maybe someone who has played in same offense.  And most of these guys if been around awhile, have played in every offense out there at some point. 

I think it's more than two accrued seasons for up to three players. So a guy who wasn't activated the first couple years then played the next couple on active roster as a backup could be. I'm not positive but think that's how new rules work. Didn't used to be that way. 

McDermott already said that Logan Thomas would be QB#3 in an emergency situation. He knows the offense better than most, according to reports. They said many times when a guy has a question on Daboll’s offense, they go to Thomas. 

Id rather go with Thomas as the #3 in order to get Allen more reps, as opposed to sacrificing tons of reps for Josh Allen in favor of a different #3 QB who may not be any better than Logan Thomas in a pinch anyway.

If they were going to keep 3 QBs, they should have just kept AJ, which is personally what I thought would happen. I thought AJ would be #2 and Allen #3 in order to give Allen all the practice squad reps. 

Instead they decided to only keep 2 QBs and use Thomas in an emergency, in order to still give Allen all the practice squad reps. I am good with that, too. 

Thomas is the emergency QB.  They would never start him.  Ever.  If peterman is out for 8 weeks and Allen has to miss a game or 2, Thomas isn’t going to start.  He’d only play if the 1 and 2 QBs get knocked out of the game.  If peterman gets knocked out for a month, Allen will be the 1 the following week and someone else will be the 2.  It won’t be thomas.  I hope not at least.  He’s terrible 

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Cool, Wikipedia doesn't show him on the PS.  Let's hope they get this done.

1 hour ago, bobblehead said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/74726098

heres a list from  2015 of PS players who succeeded 

Joique Bell, another one we let slip away.... :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thomas is the emergency QB.  They would never start him.  Ever.  If peterman is out for 8 weeks and Allen has to miss a game or 2, Thomas isn’t going to start.  He’d only play if the 1 and 2 QBs get knocked out of the game.  If peterman gets knocked out for a month, Allen will be the 1 the following week and someone else will be the 2.  It won’t be thomas.  I hope not at least.  He’s terrible 

I don’t know, I guess you and I just have different views on the level of play you would get from a practice squad QB. I think the chances are that it wouldn’t be that significantly better than the play you’d get from Thomas in an emergency situation.

I would expect that if Peterman got knocked out for a month, or got any type of injury that was considered week-to-week (as opposed to a small day to day type injury), that the Bills would immediately try to go out and get someone with some experience, that way it wouldn’t ever get to the point of having to start their practice squad QB in a regular season game. 

I think if either QB is hurt for any length of time, the Bills will look for a vet. 

Plus, the Bills are not in a position where they have an established starter and an established backup and they can stick someone on the practice squad to develop.

Their circumstance is different this season. 

They are trying to get their backup as many reps as possible, while also still having him active for game days so he can learn what the NFL is like.