Snobby about chicken wings

Jrb1979

Contrary to what some Buffalo snobs think cooking chicken wings was not invented in Buffalo just the sauce at Anchor Bar.

Chinese have been making dishes with Chicken Wings for hundreds of years.  My wife got a 40# box of chicken wings at Restaurant Depot and a damn low price and cooks them at home using various Chinese styles.   And I do not eat them with ranch sauce.

• 1 year later...
On 9/4/2018 at 2:15 PM, Soda Popinski said:

Never had wings in Buffalo from any of the local places, so I guess I have no basis for comparison other than my own.  most places where I live fry them fine, but then they sauce them right away, instead of letting the steam rise off of them and the sauce traps that which makes the skin soggy.     It takes someone who knows wings to double fry them and then let them sit in the fry basket for a few minutes and let them air out before saucing.   

This is what I'm interested in.  My frying technique is on point but I've noticed that timing of saucing, temperature of the wings and the sauce when saucing, and viscosity of the sauce all play a role in the outcome.  There is little discussion of these variables on the internet. 

Anyone have any insight?

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This is what I'm interested in.  My frying technique is on point but I've noticed that timing of saucing, temperature of the wings and the sauce when saucing, and viscosity of the sauce all play a role in the outcome.  There is little discussion of these variables on the internet. 

Anyone have any insight?

@plenzmd1 has a nephew who might know.....I free load and find the results to be exceptional! I’d gladly pay cash, but the ultimate  Wing Master Artist prefers less money if paid like a millennial. I think it makes him feel younger. 

It’s an awesome experience! I’m curious about the details that may come out here. 

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone have any insight?

I've always tossed mine in room-temperature sauce shortly after (within 2-3 min) after taking them out of the fryer.  I've never thought to do it any differently, but now you've got me scouring the Internet.

6 hours ago, Augie said:

@plenzmd1 has a nephew who might know.....I free load and find the results to be exceptional! I’d gladly pay cash, but the ultimate  Wing Master Artist prefers less money if paid like a millennial. I think it makes him feel younger. 

It’s an awesome experience! I’m curious about the details that may come out here. 

Eating wings at 5:00PM after starting drinking at 8 am is the key to great wings. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone have any insight?

Don’t overthink it. Fryem up, toss in a bowl that contains some sauce and all done. 

If you are ever in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, check out The Dirty Buffalo. Owner is a Western New Yorker and a Bills fan who graduated from Old Dominion, stayed in the area, and open up a wing joint in Norfolk. Has since expanded to Virginia Beach. Also on the menu is Beef on Weck and his versions of the garbage plate.

https://thedirtybuffalo.com/

Oh and bleu cheese is frickin' nasty stuff. If not putting that on my wings makes me a heathen, so be it!  :P

• Thank you (+1) 1