Aaron Rodgers Signs Record Breaking Extension with the Packers

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He missed half the season when his remaining intact collarbone snapped.

There was no downside to waiting another year to offer all that money.  They will be a wild card bid for the playoffs this year.

The details are in.

In essence the contract is up in 2022 with a 2023 season if Green Bay wants him for 25 million with no dead money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Then I guess our steady string of 7,8, and 9 win seasons shouldn't be a big surprise.

To the organization's defense, they are largely adopting that approach all the time b/c they do not have access to the great passer.  In the same breath, they should be criticized for not pursuing one aggressively, historically speaking.

I'm not talking about the current regime; they did go after their guy and got him.  That's the right approach; I just think they took the wrong guy.  But that remains to be seen.

This is why I want him to play all the time.  Find out what he is so we can move on to the next one if we have to.  Until we have that guy, we don't have much.  

The Bills are stuck in the 1990s, and they have no intention of joining the 21st century.  My guess is that it's because there's less competition for HCs espousing out-dated offensive philosophies ... and RBs are much cheaper and plentiful than true franchise QBs.   The current regime may even be worse than some previous ones.  McDermott and Beane don't seem to understand offensive football and don't care to learn, otherwise they wouldn't have stripped the passing offense of most of its receiver talent and ignored obviously serious problems with the OL while they were supposedly preparing to draft a first round QB.   Even great QBs like Rodgers need protection and targets.  DOH.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

When salary caps and free agency first cam along, some were worried that eventually, the league would be about teams with 3 or 4 ultra super stars making ALL the money, and everyone else making league minimum.

We have never been closer to that reality.

Teams are slowly realizing what is vitally important and the fact that the rest doesn't really matter.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

They need a better CBA and a much stronger, more intelligent union. It's absolutely ludicrous they haven't been able to negotiate higher salaries imo.

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

This was a mistake. Packers could have rode out the last two years of his deal and franchised him for 2 or 3 more and not have spent this much and more importantly had flexibility when his skills hit the wall due to age and decline.(not everyone has Brady DNA diet Giselle influence TB12 clinics and luck to play into 40's......etc etc...… Thay are now in salary cap hell.

I get they want to keep the best player they ever had happy, but at what cost? Packers Super Bowl window is about to slam shut.

NFL is s business. Great players hold out like Mack, others refuse a below market deal(Cousins)and teams also play hardball.

Agreed.

Min salaries need to be adjusted much higher. This would leave a little less for these mega deals. Everyone would still get rich.

IMHO 450k min salary for rookies is way too low. It should start at 1 mill. at least. Same with PS players 7.6 k per week is way too low. Pay during training camp and preseason is also embarrassing for the risk they take. 1k to 1.8 k per week.

Just grouping these together.

It's a tough situation without a great answer.

Doing what the NBA did, with Max contracts that are shorter length is what created superteams like the Celtics, heat, warriors, Cavs etc when elite stars can jump ship every 2-4 years and team up, and where, as fading said, teams realized what positions/players are worth the $$ and then they fill the rest of the roster with bs spare parts.

I don't know what the right answer is 

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

This was a mistake. Packers could have rode out the last two years of his deal and franchised him for 2 or 3 more and not have spent this much and more importantly had flexibility when his skills hit the wall due to age and decline.(not everyone has Brady DNA diet Giselle influence TB12 clinics and luck to play into 40's......etc etc...… Thay are now in salary cap hell.

I get they want to keep the best player they ever had happy, but at what cost? Packers Super Bowl window is about to slam shut.

NFL is s business. Great players hold out like Mack, others refuse a below market deal(Cousins)and teams also play hardball.

Agreed.

Min salaries need to be adjusted much higher. This would leave a little less for these mega deals. Everyone would still get rich.

IMHO 450k min salary for rookies is way too low. It should start at 1 mill. at least. Same with PS players 7.6 k per week is way too low. Pay during training camp and preseason is also embarrassing for the risk they take. 1k to 1.8 k per week.

..the last two to cash in "big time" under the old system were Stafford @ $41 mil guaranteed and Bradford @ $50 mil guaranteed (2010)........so now to the 2018 crop..

Mayfield-$32.68 mil guaranteed

Darnold-$30.25 mil guaranteed

Allen-$21.18 mil guaranteed

Rosen-$17.59 mil guaranteed

....or an average of $25.42 mil guaranteed or 50% less than Sudden Sam eight years later.....think the current CBA pacifies EXISTING players (more in the pot for them) and forces rooks to wait until their 2nd deal if they make it that far?.......interesting........

....pretty telling stat about the "old way".......shall we call it "pay for performance"??............

Mar 18, 2018, 12:35pm-FORBES

Sam Bradford Has Earned $129 Million Over His Underwhelming Career. So Far!

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Aaron Rogers just made it difficult for us to retain Nathan Peterman.  Nate will be wanting more.

If we play our cards right, he might take half of what Rodgers got. I hear he loves our pizza and wings. Especially the pizza, despite what @plenzmd1 may think. 

Every time I think of Rodgers, I go to the next years no.1 pick Donohoe traded for JP friggin Losman, knowing it could of been Rodgers if we hadn't made that trade.   My god JP seems so long ago and here's Rodgers signing a huge extension.   He's a great QB, deserve's the coin, wish we had him.    Goes to show you how one decision changes 2 franchises.

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Don't care for Rodgers personally but the !@#$er's worth every penny.

Not at all, he’s fragile, will be knocked out of action for half the season with a solid pop during one of his painfully slow scrambles

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not at all, he’s fragile, will be knocked out of action for half the season with a solid pop during one of his painfully slow scrambles

Agree ?.  So glad we don’t have to pay a loser like that.  I’m much happier with our qb situation of the last decade.  So happy we passed on that bum!

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Hmmm...

Or

He is possibly the best QB over the past 13 years or so?

somewhere in between perhaps?

Fragile?

no. not that at all.

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You must not watch much football because this makes absolutely no sense. 

• Like (+1) 1