What SHOULD the Bills have done last year to upgrade the OL

Mango

We keep (justly) complaining that the FO totally underestimated how bad this OL would be this year. What are the moves we should have made in FA and the draft to solidify the unit? (outside of Wood and Richie)

My thoughts:

- Keep Glenn and kick Dawkins to RT

- Tyrell Crosby in the 4th instead of Taron Johnson. Can play G and T. 

- Re-signed Gaines

- Retained either Coleman or Johnson for slot CB. 

Our Secondary is better than current, and OL is upgraded.  Starting OL would look something like:

LT: Glenn

LG: Crosby/Teller/Ducasse/Miller

C Groy (I have faith yesterday wasn't his true form)

RG: Miller/Ducasse/Teller/Crosby

RT: Dawkins (His projected position)

Being able to tell the future would have undoubtedly helped. Woods injury and Richies physcotic break would then be accounted for and they could then act accordingly. Damn shame we have no vudoo shaman soothsayer on the pay roll!!! #truth

Edited by gobills1212
  • Haha (+1) 2

could of, should have been addressed. quality FA still out there.  It would have been nice to have eyes on Richie to give him the care he needed in the off-season.  The contract situation and pay-cut was the beginning of the end and the guy just unravelled. It's sad, he was a beast we could use in the middle. ---   Dawkins/Richie/Groy/Joeckel (or another FA)l/Mills would not be a complete trainwreck.  

I've has serious Duckass issues since last year. I have no idea why this guy is on an NFL roster.  I hoped Miller would return to form and maybe he will. Right now we need at least one guard if we keep Groy at LG and Bodine at C.

Edited by BillsRdue

there werent alot of moves to make...maybe get Sullivan or Jensen at Center instead of Bodine then Groy can certainly slide over. I cussed out vlad ducasse last year as much or more than anyone but about week 7 he started playing really well and had bizarro damn good season. I  think he'll be fine- Mills keeps playing far from dominant but he is rarely penalized and honestly is okay. Miller i dont know what happened he's brutal and has to be replaced. Dawkins is good and has chance to be great. So the choice is Groy at guard and Bodine plays C or...Miller at Guard and Groy plays center either way we have a weak link in the middle and opposing teams know it. There is no one out there who can still play- you can argue couldnt be worse but come  on they have a week to get ready- not realistic.  O line play league wide sucks if they could play someone would have grabbed them for sure

Edited by CardinalScotts

4 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Being able to tell the future would have undoubtedly helped. Woods injury and Richies physcotic break would then be accounted for and they could then act accordingly. Damn shame we have no vudoo shaman soothsayer on the pay roll!!! #truth

Clearly we have several of them on TBD, what I want to know is why McBeane didn't reach out to them!?  Outrage!!

I've also seen a lot of people saying "He needs to get on the phone with 'Cog!", dear anyone that thinks this, Incognito got arrested at a funeral home and wanted to cut his dead dad's head off for research purposes - the guy ain't coming back to play football!  And even if he does it sure as sh*t shouldn't be with the Bills!  

I can see Ritchie being back on the team and one day Beane gets a box in the mail...

222-whats-in-the-box.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Eric Wood came very shortly after the playoffs, so it wasn't like it smacked us totally in the face, there was plenty of time to redirect the offseason in regards to the C position. Richie was about 3 weeks before the draft, so I will give it "some" credence, but it isn't like we went all the way through the off season and suddenly lost or LG. 

Glenn's health had to be a major factor in deciding to trade him. He dealt with kidney issues throughout '15, had the foot/ankle issues all through '16 and '17 and Dawkins played well enough in his place to make him expendable. He played two series' yesterday and went out with a shoulder injury. Glenn's been a productive player during his career but he's reached a point now where his dependability is always a concern.

That's a hard question to answer should we have stayed at 22 and taken Will Hernandez as our G instead of moving up for Edmunds?   IDK  Jury is out on that one for a few years.  

We didn't have a ton of money to spend in free agency, but no one was sad in Oakland or Cincy to see the guys we brought in go i feel like we could have done better in that aspect.   

Glenn absolutely had to go Allen is one trade I'm not going to reconsider.     

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Glenn's health had to be a major factor in deciding to trade him. He dealt with kidney issues throughout '15, had the foot/ankle issues all through '16 and '17 and Dawkins played well enough in his place to make him expendable. He played two series' yesterday and went out with a shoulder injury. Glenn's been a productive player during his career but he's reached a point now where his dependability is always a concern.

Currently making too big of a deal about this. Per the Bengals and Marvin Lewis, "Cordy Glenn is fine". He isn't missing anytime with this. Probably just a tiny ding, and it's preseason, so he was done for the day. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

We keep (justly) complaining that the FO totally underestimated how bad this OL would be this year. What are the moves we should have made in FA and the draft to solidify the unit? (outside of Wood and Richie)

My thoughts:

- Keep Glenn and kick Dawkins to RT

- Tyrell Crosby in the 4th instead of Taron Johnson. Can play G and T. 

- Re-signed Gaines

- Retained either Coleman or Johnson for slot CB. 

Our Secondary is better than current, and OL is upgraded.  Starting OL would look something like:

LT: Glenn

LG: Crosby/Teller/Ducasse/Miller

C Groy (I have faith yesterday wasn't his true form)

RG: Miller/Ducasse/Teller/Crosby

RT: Dawkins (His projected position)

While I like these type of discussions are you for real on this?

- Glenn was traded to move up in the draft to get our future QB.....we needed that move to happen for draft capital......Glenn was injured all of last year AND GOT HURT AGAIN IN THE GAME YESTERDAY

- Give you Crosby.....I probably would have gone OL over secondary

- Gaines was hurt a lot last year AND IS HURT AGAIN

There is absolutely no gurantee that the bills would start Crosby any more then they are not starting Wyatt Teller who is dominating everyone they put in front of him......Decausse is the incumbant and they are gonna have to take their lumps realizing that he is not a good player......

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

While I like these type of discussions are you for real on this?

- Glenn was traded to move up in the draft to get our future QB.....we needed that move to happen for draft capital......Glenn was injured all of last year AND GOT HURT AGAIN IN THE GAME YESTERDAY

- Give you Crosby.....I probably would have gone OL over secondary

- Gaines was hurt a lot last year AND IS HURT AGAIN

There is absolutely no gurantee that the bills would start Crosby any more then they are not starting Wyatt Teller who is dominating everyone they put in front of him......Decausse is the incumbant and they are gonna have to take their lumps realizing that he is not a good player......

Glenn is totally fine per reports in Cincinatti. 2016 was a high ankle sprain he came back too soon from, that lingered all season. I forget the issue in 2017, but he just had surgery. I am also assuming we could have still gotten Allen without the Glenn trade at a different cost. 

Didn't see the Gaines injury. Good point. We were 8-3 in the regular season in games he started though. Something to account for. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Glenn is totally fine per reports in Cincinatti. 2016 was a high ankle sprain he came back too soon from, that lingered all season. I forget the issue in 2017, but he just had surgery. I am also assuming we could have still gotten Allen without the Glenn trade at a different cost. 

Didn't see the Gaines injury. Good point. We were 8-3 in the regular season in games he started though. Something to account for. 

Glenn might be fine but he's had nagging injuries and it likely won't get better for him.