Tribute bands

I get dogged on a lot because I go see a lot of tribute bands. But with the music I listen to, it's a great option. I listen almost exclusively to stuff from "before my time." So the artists I like are either dead, or retired. If they're still touring, tickets are sometimes $200+ a pop, and a lot of the times, only have one or two original (or at least from the prime) members left in the band. Even when it's an affordable ticket, for a good amount of the real band, they don't sound as good as they once did with age.

Tribute bands, if not free, are $10-20 max, and although obviously fake, the real members of the band are represented. It also take a lot more work than people realize. They not only have to sound good, they have to replicate what the original band sound like, and a lot of the time the on stage nuances and mannerisms. Usually they try to replicate the right equipment if they can afford it? Does anybody else enjoy a good tribute band, or are they as cheesy as people say? I've seen a lot of good ones, and not so great ones.

AC/DC 2
Allman Brothers 1
Beatles 4
Billy Joel 1
Bon Jovi 1
Def Leppard 1
Doors 2
Eagles 1
Elton John 1
Guns N Roses 1
Iron Maiden 1
Johnny Cash 1
Journey 2
KISS 3
Led Zeppelin 4
Metallica 2
Ozzy/Sabbath 1
Pink Floyd 3
Rolling Stones 1
Rush 1
Stevie Ray Vaughn 1
Thin Lizzy 1
Tom Petty 1
Van Halen 1

Band being honored, and number of different bands Tributes I've seen of them.

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The Musical Box for Peter Gabriel Genesis

see them every time they come to Toronto

I have heard about this one and they are reputedly excellent... actually I think the chickie here saw them aways back, I'll have to ask her when she wakes up to go to work.

For anyone in the Tampa area or visiting... Skippers Smokehouse (they smoke everything) at Nebraska and Skipper Rd. has Grateful Dead night every Thursday featuring Uncle John's Band. These guys have been doing it so long that if you look away from the stage you really can't tell the difference. Well over 1,000 shows by now... highly recommended if you are a Dead fan.

https://www.skipperssmokehouse.com/event/grateful-dead-nite-w-uncle-johns-band-free-33-2018-05-31/

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I get dogged on a lot because I go see a lot of tribute bands. But with the music I listen to, it's a great option. I listen almost exclusively to stuff from "before my time." So the artists I like are either dead, or retired. If they're still touring, tickets are sometimes $200+ a pop, and a lot of the times, only have one or two original (or at least from the prime) members left in the band. Even when it's an affordable ticket, for a good amount of the real band, they don't sound as good as they once did with age.

Tribute bands, if not free, are $10-20 max, and although obviously fake, the real members of the band are represented. It also take a lot more work than people realize. They not only have to sound good, they have to replicate what the original band sound like, and a lot of the time the on stage nuances and mannerisms. Usually they try to replicate the right equipment if they can afford it? Does anybody else enjoy a good tribute band, or are they as cheesy as people say? I've seen a lot of good ones, and not so great ones.

AC/DC 2
Allman Brothers 1
Beatles 4
Billy Joel 1
Bon Jovi 1
Def Leppard 1
Doors 2
Eagles 1
Elton John 1
Guns N Roses 1
Iron Maiden 1
Johnny Cash 1
Journey 2
KISS 3
Led Zeppelin 4
Metallica 2
Ozzy/Sabbath 1
Pink Floyd 3
Rolling Stones 1
Rush 1
Stevie Ray Vaughn 1
Thin Lizzy 1
Tom Petty 1
Van Halen 1

Band being honored, and number of different bands Tributes I've seen of them.

A Tom Petty Tribute Band?  That's one step removed from the definition of "clinically dead."  

I've seen American English (Beatles) and Kashmir (Led Zep).

Both were good.

I haven't seen either in person, but I've heard good recordings of Dark Star Orchestra and Joe Russo's Almost Dead, a couple of Grateful Dead tribute bands.

7 hours ago, DC Tom said:

A Tom Petty Tribute Band?  That's one step removed from the definition of "clinically dead."  

I just checked the lineup at Bob Weir's music hall just down the road and see that 'Petty Theft' is playing not one but TWO shows next month.  Come on out Tom!

https://www.sweetwatermusichall.com/event/1718375-petty-theft-tom-petty-mill-valley/

Dread Zeppelin:  Unlike other Tribute Bands!

EDIT:  Forgot... Best part is the The Temptations/Edwin Starr: War tie in to the Immigrant Song.  "War, what is it good for... It's good for absolutely nothing ladies & ggentleman... Say it again!"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, T&C said:

I have heard about this one and they are reputedly excellent... actually I think the chickie here saw them aways back, I'll have to ask her when she wakes up to go to work.

As for a Genesis tribute...

Nobody can replicate Keith Richards or Jerry Garcia to hardcore fans, but one can do it for Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins (for drumming in that incarnation) and mellotron resurrection. 

Seeing Supper’s Ready and the entire TLLDOB is a great thing with The Musical Box.

• Like (+1) 1

Dead and Company. ?

8 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I'm going to see Dweezil in concert in Florida this October. Looking forward to it.

I hope for your sake they do their 80’s medley. An amazing 30 minute 100 plus song monster. I have seen tons and tons of live shows and the was one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen live.  Blew me away. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Aussie Floyd - phenomenal

Strawberry Fields - very good

Fab Four - phenomenal

I've heard good things about Aussie Floyd, but haven't seen them yet. Saw a Dallas based one called Bricks in the Wall at House of Blues. Did a full laser show, all brass, video show on the weird circle screen, full three piece female vocal singers that KILLED IT on Great Gig in the Sky. Played a good mix of hits, B-Sides, and even played the entirety of Wish You Were Here. 

I looked up Fab Four on YouTube and thought they were really good. Bought tickets, and they were even better than I planned on them being. I only have two very very minor complaints. One was the same as you, that they played more "hits" and the songs you'd predict. I could never hear Yellow Submarine again in my life, and be okay with that. But they're not playing for die hard Beatles fans, so I'm fine with it. The second was the speech given by the guy playing John Lennon before playing Imagine. No qualms with the content of the speech. Just the fact that he was talking about how "John Lennon did this" and "John Lennon did that." A show like that, I've always felt that for the 90-120 minutes you're on stage, you ARE John Lennon. Kinda took me out of the moment for a minute or so. Like I said, I understand it's a minor complaint, but it's there. 

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

As for a Genesis tribute...

Nobody can replicate Keith Richards or Jerry Garcia to hardcore fans, but one can do it for Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins (for drumming in that incarnation) and mellotron resurrection. 

Seeing Supper’s Ready and the entire TLLDOB is a great thing with The Musical Box.

Saw them in Ithaca earlier this year.  Magnificent.  I used to go see Over the Garden Wall back in the late 80s.

• Like (+1) 1

I've seen two tribute bands in the past few weeks ...

Dark Star Orchestra - Grateful Dead cover band .... Sometimes sounds better than the dead did. I've seen them 5 times now.

Live from the Fillmore - Allman Brothers cover band .... Great show tho I was deaf the next day.

13 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Dead and Company. ?

I hope for your sake they do their 80’s medley. An amazing 30 minute 100 plus song monster. I have seen tons and tons of live shows and the was one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen live.  Blew me away. 

I hope he does it. I saw a youtube clip of a Dweezil concert where his sister Moon came out for "Valley Girl." That would be cool to see too.