Bills Run Defense vs Browns - 1st Series Analysis

SoCoBills

I went through all the run plays on the first drive and broke down what went right and what went wrong which allowed the Browns to run the ball down our throats. Play by play breakdown first and a short analysis of what to take away from it at the end. I highly suggest that those who want a short read as opposed to a long one skip to the takeaways and conclusions section at the end. 

1st & 10 at Browns 30 – Singleback set with 2 TE’s lined up off right tackle one WR wide left and another WR tight right. Bills are a bit fortunate to only give up 3 yards. Browns had an overload to the right side with the run likely designed to smash between right tackle and the TE’s. Alexander does a good job on the weak side penetrating and coming down the line to squeeze the play. Star got chipped at the start of the play on a double team by the center and LG and then was handled 1v1 long enough by the C to be sealed out of the play. Kyle was double teamed by the RG & RT.  Shaq Lawson has to win here 1v1 against the innermost TE but he get manhandled and sealed to the outside by Fells which isn’t a good look for him at all. If Shaq even holds his ground he and Poyer close up the lane for no gain as Poyer does a great job blitzing off the right side and is immediately into the backfield. Since KW was doubled and Shaq loses 1v1 against the TE, p(Fells) Poyer is not able to make the tackle. The 2nd TE, Njoku, went straight to the 2nd level and engaged Milano but Milano diagnosed decently well and helped seal the lane along with Edmunds.  Edmunds wasn’t terrible here but he could have done better. He slides laterally but is too impatient and tries to engage the line of scrimmage and in doing so misidentified the hole and ran into the kyle Williams double team. He ends up able to help Milano and combine in on the tackle but it isn’t clean as a result of getting a bit washed up in the swamp.

2nd & 7 at Browns 33 – Singleback set with a 1TE 2 WR bunch off right tackle. Odd run fit presnap by the Bills because Hughes is lined up quite wide off left tackle whereas Star is between Center & Left Guard, Williams is between RG & RT and Shaq is lined up over the TE. Edmunds is over center with Milano over left tackle both 3 yards off the LOS. Star is double teamed by C & LG. Hughes is on a speed rush to the outside headed up field. Kyle is 1v1 against the RG but as he was already on the RG’s outside shoulder at the snap he is easily sealed out of the play. The RT pulls on the snap to the left which has to be a key for the linebackers and also for Shaq Lawson to diagnose immediately and know the run is to the left. Poyer came down into the box just before the snap in almost a 3rd LB role and is on what looks like a run blitz on the right side but he gets caught in traffic guarding against a potential cut back lane whereas Shaq doesn’t seem to recognize his keys. Shaq needs to crash down the line when the RT pulls and run down the line in a chase position. Edmunds also misses this key and he and Poyer attacked the same cutback lane. If anyone is most to blame on this play it is Edmunds. Milano engages the right tackle who pulled left as a lead blocker and does the right thing by maintaining outside contain, taking on the blockers outside shoulder and forcing the back inside to where help in the form of Edmunds should be coming but as Edmunds didn’t diagnose and hit the wrong gap he is nowhere near the play. It should be mentioned that Taron Johnson showed some great awareness where others didn’t. He started over the inside wide receiver to the right and came all the way across the field to make the tackle and did so in a hurry.

1st & 10 at Browns 42 – Singleback TE right and what looks like probably another TE wing on the right also. Outside WR on the right is motioned into the backfield on a fake reverse. This play is 100% on both Milano and Tre White and it is terrible so much so that they will hear it for sure. Milano was lined up outside of RT over the TE wing 2-3 yards off the LOS. On the snap he leaves his outside gap responsibility completely to try and play super hero by crashing inside so far he actually hits the gap between KW & Star before running into Jerry Hughes and knocking both of them out of the play. Tre is only to blame if this is zone and I am guessing it is but I can’t be sure. Tre also leaves and follows the motioning WR across the field late as he also thinks the reverse is on and appears to be chasing down the play.  As a result the outside of the field is wide open. This isn’t a matter of Bills players being blown off the ball. This is all about football intelligence and recognition. Maybe with game planning and film study for run schemes like this these type of mistakes won’t happen? I would be remiss to not point out Shaqs hustle and show of speed on this play to chase down Hyde and knock him out of bounds. He ran from the Browns 43 all the way down to our 32 to make the play.

1st & 10 at Bills 32 – Incomplete Pass.

2nd & 10 at Bills 32– Singleback TE Right, 2 WRs left, 1 WR right. Hughes again is lined very wide off left tackle. Star just off the left of center and kyle between RG & RT with Shaq between RT & TE. Star get a 1v1 and is easily handled by the C. The LG pulls and attacks the gap between Kyle & Shaq. Milano came down and engaged the LG but Edmunds was too impatient yet again. I have no answers for what Edmunds was thinking except to say that he must not have been thinking at all. Edmunds had a clear view to take the key of the left guard pulling right because he is lined up 5 yards off the LOS directly over the left guard with no obstruction to his view of it happening. Edmunds wants to attack the line of scrimmage right away it seems with no care to diagnose what’s in front of him and make sure he’s in the right gap. Edmunds runs right into the KW double team group (again) in inexplicable fashion to the point I have no idea what he thinks he might be doing and just hits that group of guys and is stuck. As a result, even though everyone else seemed to do their job, because Edmunds didn’t get to where he needed to, the running back squeaks through a small lane and then into wide open space with ease. Ugly stuff by the youngster.

1st & 10 at the Bills 14 – Singleback with an extra offensive lineman lined up like a TE off of left tackle. To disguise the obvious intent to run to this strong side the browns put a WR in motion left and then on the snap he comes back on a fake reverse right but of course the run is to the left. Both of the Browns WR’s are stacked wide right as nothing more than a decoy to draw some attention from the safeties. There is nobody wide left. On the snap both the right guard and right tackle pull left. Adolphus for whatever reason appears to be trying to crash inside and the LT seals him inside easily and pushes him back to the point where he gets in the way of Star who read his keys correctly and was trying to crash down the LOS towards the pulling lineman. Other than Washington everyone else read the play correctly. Milano and Edmunds both got to their spots and met the pulling lineman and forced the running back inside to help. Hughes and Poyer both helped get the runner down for a short gain.

2nd & 6 at the Bills 10 – Strong I Form right with 2 TE’s right, one of them in a wing one yard behind the LOS and a WR out to the left. PA rollout for a first down at the Bills 3.

1st & Goal at the Bills 3 – Again the Browns have an extra lineman in off of left tacke with a WR tight and one out wide on each side. Singleback. Adolphus actually does a good job fighting and holding his ground against a double team. Hyde and Hughes were up on the LOS, Hughes over LT and Hyde over the extra lineman. Both do a good job crashing down inside and squeezing the pocket and Taron Johnson shows excellent instincts and great eyes by reading what is happening in the backfield and shooting freely into the lane early like a seasoned linebacker instead of a rookie nickel CB and makes the tackle in the backfield for a loss of 2 at the 5 but the ball is spotted at the 4.

2nd & Goal at the Bills 4 – Same set as on first down except flipped to the other side. Washington is doubled by RG & RT. Whoever #96 is was lined up as DE on the right side of the browns line and sheds his blocker inside and gets caught in traffic. Taron Johnson this time is a bit slow to diagnose from deep but it isn’t on him. This is really just a good play design and good execution. The WR out wide right is rushing inside to crack down on Johnson and Tre White is apparently in man coverage because Tre White is sprinting inside along with him so that when the runner bounces the ball outside there is nobody to contain. I give part of the blame to Poyer because he was up in the box and had outside contain responsibility and didn’t attack the outside shoulder as if he was anticipating another inside run but at this point can you really blame him? TD Browns and end of drive.

Conclusions & Takeaways:

As you can see here there were a lot of problems but it wasn’t all bad. When watching live I thought our defensive line of both Kyle and Star in particular were getting beat up 1v1 but that wasn’t the whole story. The Bills were playing a lot of nickel even against multiple TE sets and it showed. Kyle, Star and even Adolphus were often facing double teams. Edmunds and Milano both at times missed assignments and to be fair the Browns were throwing a lot different run looks at them for a preseason matchup. This should be a fantastic learning experience for them down the road and with game specific game planning and film review they should be able to clean up most  of the issues that plagued them in this series.  I do worry about Edmunds’s ability to diagnose rather than aimlessly attack a random spot and I do worry about our DE’s winning some 1v1 situations and being playmakersthough.  

At this point though it is important to understand that the sky is not falling. There were breakdowns by different guys on different plays and we have an extremely young MLB learning some hard lessons at the moment. When cuts happen we may also look to bring in some help if things don’t improve.

Edited by SoCoBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 9

SoCo -thank you for the thoughtful post.  I just don’t have time to read all of this. I’m sure it was very thorough and thoughtful.

Frazier better fix this run defense, and yes, I noticed Edmunds wa a little lost.  I also remember he is a 20 yr old rookie and has the talent to get better.  We can’t expect rooms to be perfect coming out of college in three years.  We have the right coaching and leaders like Alexander to help him understand how to play faster.  That’s what pre-season is for to learn the NFL game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

SoCo -thank you for the thoughtful post.  I just don’t have time to read all of this. I’m sure it was very thorough and thoughtful.

Frazier better fix this run defense, and yes, I noticed Edmunds wa a little lost.  I also remember he is a 20 yr old rookie and has the talent to get better.  We can’t expect rooms to be perfect coming out of college in three years.  We have the right coaching and leaders like Alexander to help him understand how to play faster.  That’s what pre-season is for to learn the NFL game.

My pleasure, you could always just skip to the the final section under the heading “conclusions & takeaways”.

A short synopsis of points:

1. KW and Star were pretty consistently doubled. On many plays both were doubled. So the perception that they both stunk up the joint isn’t totally accurate. 

2. Edmunds needs to slow down and diagnose before rushing towards the LOS. This is a major concern not for the kids future but for the defense now. 

3. The Bills D often ran nickel against 2 TE or even extra OL instead of TE sets. It’s the preseason so maybe they had specific personnel and specific packages they wanted to see and work with.

4. Game planning for these types of run looks I could easily see helping. The Browns threw a decent amount of more exotic looks against a D not game planning for it. The Browns struggled last week running so it was their emphasis this week and it showed. 

Edited by SoCoBills

Good Analysis.   After watching the game again, I agree with most of your points.    On the big runs, Edmunds completely took himself out the plays.  He was not blocked and was nowhere near the RB.   His lack of instinct is concerning.   He needs experience to improve, but it is going to be a painful process as a Bills fan. 

Milano also took himself out of a few plays, but not as bad as Edmunds.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Good Analysis.   After watching the game again, I agree with most of your points.    On the big runs, Edmunds completely took himself out the plays.  He was not blocked and was nowhere near the RB.   His lack of instinct is concerning.   He needs experience to improve, but it is going to be a painful process as a Bills fan. 

Milano also took himself out of a few plays, but not as bad as Edmunds.

Edmunds just needs time.  Milano is just not good enough.  He probably is ok as a nickel OLB but he just isn't going to be big enough to play consistently in the NFL. They will draft an OLB in first round next year if they don't trade for Mack.  Sadly they will need to replace both Lorax and Milano.  So maybe a FA signing as well.  With two first round draft picks maybe Milano or Humber is ok as the third LB.  I like him as the backup or nickel.  Just not in the base 4-3.

My concern is with Edmunds.  The biggest blemish on his scouting report was that he is easily mentally fooled, over-pursues, jumps at the wrong gap, etc....

And so far after 2 games we have seen a lot of that ourselves.  I think he has a way to go before his mental game catches up to his physical athleticism, which is clearly fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

Only total homers think this defense is going to be elite. The DL is very average and the LB corps is below average, so I think that unless young Mr. Edmunds can figure out where he needs to be, get used to it. We won't be the worst run defense in the NFL, but we will be above average thanks to our DC.

1 hour ago, SoCoBills said:

My pleasure, you could always just skip to the the final section under the heading “conclusions & takeaways”.

1. KW and Star were pretty consistently doubled. On many plays both were doubled. So the perception that they both stunk up the joint isn’t totally accurate. 

2. Edmunds needs to slow down and diagnose before rushing towards the LOS. This is a major concern not for the kids future but for the defense now. 

3. The Bills D often ran nickel against 2 TE or even extra OL instead of TE sets. It’s the preseason so maybe they had specific personnel and specific packages they wanted to see and work with.

4. Game planning for these types of run looks I could easily see helping. The Browns threw a decent amount of more exotic looks against a D not game planning for it. The Browns struggled last week running so it was their emphasis this week and it showed. 

Thank you

again  : )

very good reading for me !

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Edmunds just needs time.  Milano is just not good enough.  He probably is ok as a nickel OLB but he just isn't going to be big enough to play consistently in the NFL. They will draft an OLB in first round next year if they don't trade for Mack.  Sadly they will need to replace both Lorax and Milano.  So maybe a FA signing as well.  With two first round draft picks maybe Milano or Humber is ok as the third LB.  I like him as the backup or nickel.  Just not in the base 4-3.

I will be extremely angry if they take another LB in the 1st round when we have such a horrible OL and no deep threat. Fix the OL before you get all of our QB's killed!

18 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

as mentioned the personnel was mostly nickel Bills lined up. which is where Milano does fit, I agree.
 In the fine presentation of great detail , an important point was made. Bills did not game plan of flex to what browns were showing and running.

1 hour ago, SoCoBills said:

Now that I can read.  Thanks bud and appreciate you taking the time for many of us.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I will be extremely angry if they take another LB in the 1st round when we have such a horrible OL and no deep threat. Fix the OL before you get all of our QB's killed!

BPA

and fill the holes with FA. and do not be afraid to spend  Mr Beanes  lol 

Good analysis. Thanks for this. 

96 was Fede, the guy they picked up from Miami. He had a very good game. Had one sack that was a highlight play but also made 3-4 other smaller plays where he looked good. Doubt he makes the team but the film will do him a lot of good with the coaching staff. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, MJS said:

I hope we spend some of the cap space next year on the best outside linebacker possible.

Hopefully Harrison Phillips will be great and can replace Kyle Williams.

Love Harrison! I think in a couple of years he'll be the steal of the draft. Not the best player in the draft(Allen), steal of the draft. I know I sound very optimistic , but we should build around Edmunds and Harrison. Strong up the middle.

20 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Good analysis. Thanks for this. 

96 was Fede, the guy they picked up from Miami. He had a very good game. Had one sack that was a highlight play but also made 3-4 other smaller plays where he looked good. Doubt he makes the team but the film will do him a lot of good with the coaching staff. 

Fede had a lot of bad plays too.  Most of his damage came against guys who'll be watching football in September along with you and me. 

21 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

as mentioned the personnel was mostly nickel Bills lined up. which is where Milano does fit, I agree.
 In the fine presentation of great detail , an important point was made. Bills did not game plan of flex to what browns were showing and running.

I think this this is a very important point.  The Browns ran for 65 yards on the first drive where the Bills did not game plan.  The Bills played mostly nickel coverage against some different formations and I do not think they were ready.  After the first drive and the DC getting his hands on the film - they mostly bottled the Browns up the rest of the half giving up less yards to backs on the subsequent 5 drives.

They did not play well, but the coaches figured out things and the players improved after the first series.

I think much like the Bills last week - this was the Browns home opener and there were lots of story lines and the Browns wanted t come out and dominate and they planned their first series giving them a massive advantage.

The Bills played a fairly Vanilla game plan on the road both offensively and defensively and I think that hurt their run defense.  Long term like last year - there are going to be games where they get gashed because they run nickel against a team that wants to pound the rock - like NO last year, but they will improve as the season goes on.

• Like (+1) 1

Very nice analysis SoCoBills.

Your  quote regarding Bills in nickel while Cleveland in multiple TE sets should be heeded. Also, Cleveland did attempt more exotic plays on offense and defense that is not normally used in practice games.

This might have been designed to pump up the players and fan base. They are attempting to change their losing culture. First home practice game with a lot of positive press.

Our coaches will have the D ready. They will install a game plan to counter the opponents offense. 

Edmunds I’s a rookie. Rookie LBs that play the middle and do not consistently rush rarely make an impact.

• Like (+1) 1

The big takeaway for me?   The Browns clearly game planned/scripted the first quarter to look good in their national TV exposure and the Bills did not.   

Hard to make a lot of evaluations based on that, other than physical one-on-one battles...