Guilty Pleasure Entertainment

What is your guilty pleasure when it comes to music/movies/TV etc?

I listen to KISS, unironically probably more than I should. I know they suck as musicians, and songwriters, and Gene Simmons is a terrible human being, and their stage show is childish. But there's something about them that I enjoy, and I can't even tell you why.

Also, I can't deny that I've sat and watched a 4 hour marathon of Wife Swap. Watching some straight laced, uptight, straight Republican ticket voter, swap lives with a long haired, vegan, tree hugging hippie. They're usually all terrible people, and I can't help but watch. 

18 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I listen to KISS, unironically probably more than I should. I know they suck as musicians, and songwriters, and Gene Simmons is a terrible human being, and their stage show is childish. But there's something about them that I enjoy, and I can't even tell you why.

Also, I can't deny that I've sat and watched a 4 hour marathon of Wife Swap. Watching some straight laced, uptight, straight Republican ticket voter, swap lives with a long haired, vegan, tree hugging hippie. They're usually all terrible people, and I can't help but watch. 

Wife swap still on?  Pretty painful to watch usually as one tries to control the other subtly or otherwise.  Usually, conservative people are found with fault so just another social programming show in my mind.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Wife swap still on?  Pretty painful to watch usually as one tries to control the other subtly or otherwise.  Usually, conservative people are found with fault so just another social programming show in my mind.

Nah. But repeats are in syndication on Lifetime or Oxygen or one of those channels. 

Bar Rescue on the Paramount Network. Makes me feel like I could buy/open my own bar from seeing what not to do. 

Hallmark movies. My wife will watch them and I get sucked in too. The story’s are all the same basically. But it’s easy to get lost in them. 

1 minute ago, Just Jack said:

Bar Rescue on the Paramount Network. Makes me feel like I could buy/open my own bar from seeing what not to do. 

Hallmark movies. My wife will watch them and I get sucked in too. The story’s are all the same basically. But it’s easy to get lost in them. 

My mother in law watches them all the time. I think its just the wholesomeness that's just not on TV anymore that draws people in. Despite the cheesiness and low budget of it all.

32 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I can only speak to KISS up to 1979, since that's when I stopped listening to any new music from them; but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that they sucked as musicians and songwriters.  They wrote some great rock-and-roll songs and their stage show was phenomenal.  Gene Simmons is a very good bassist and Ace Frehley smokes (literally and figuratively) on the guitar.

Television: Grey's Anatomy. It's the ultimate soap opera. Good trashy television. Although, they can go screw themselves with their political messages.

Same thing goes for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., just save the damn world and stop lecturing us!

That goes for Supergirl too. "I am a refugee". Shut up!

Music: I will willingly listen to some Taylor Swift at times.

Edited by Mark Vader

Just now, Gugny said:

I can only speak to KISS up to 1979, since that's when I stopped listening to any new music from them; but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that they sucked as musicians and songwriters.  They wrote some great rock-and-roll songs and their stage show was phenomenal.  Gene Simmons is a very good bassist and Ace Frehley smokes (literally and figuratively) on the guitar.

That's really all I listen to. They write some catchy songs, just nothing groundbreaking, like The Beatles/Zeppelin/etc. Very good at what they did. I also should have stated that Ace is the outlier there. I love their stage show. I've never seen them live, but seen plenty of footage, and some impressive tribute bands that recreate it as best as they can. I go back and forth on whether or not I want to pay to see KISS now. Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer are better musicians than many people give them credit for. I just don't like that they're basically Ace and Peter impersonators. With their make-up, and even singing Beth. 

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Television: Grey's Anatomy. It's the ultimate soap opera. Good trashy television. Although, they can go screw themselves with their political messages.

Same thing goes for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., just save the damn world and stop lecturing us!

As someone who leans to the right on many issues, do you say the same thing when Ted Nugent, Toby Keith, etc. put political messages in their work? 

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

That's really all I listen to. They write some catchy songs, just nothing groundbreaking, like The Beatles/Zeppelin/etc. Very good at what they did. I also should have stated that Ace is the outlier there. I love their stage show. I've never seen them live, but seen plenty of footage, and some impressive tribute bands that recreate it as best as they can. I go back and forth on whether or not I want to pay to see KISS now. Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer are better musicians than many people give them credit for. I just don't like that they're basically Ace and Peter impersonators. With their make-up, and even singing Beth. 

As someone who leans to the right on many issues, do you say the same thing when Ted Nugent, Toby Keith, etc. put political messages in their work? 

I was a member of the KISS Army at 5 years old.  I was heartbroken when they fell apart after Dynasty (I was 8-9 at that time).  I finally got to see the original lineup, with makeup, in 1998.  It was a dream come true and they did not disappoint.  I would never spend a nickel on seeing them again; especially without Peter and Ace.  Once was perfect.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I was a member of the KISS Army at 5 years old.  I was heartbroken when they fell apart after Dynasty (I was 8-9 at that time).  I finally got to see the original lineup, with makeup, in 1998.  It was a dream come true and they did not disappoint.  I would never spend a nickel on seeing them again; especially without Peter and Ace.  Once was perfect.

A reunion, or a free ticket is the only thing that would get me to go. Ace brings his solo show to Houston about once a year. Tickets are expensive, but it's always at this relatively small bar in a shopping center.

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

A reunion, or a free ticket is the only thing that would get me to go. Ace brings his solo show to Houston about once a year. Tickets are expensive, but it's always at this relatively small bar in a shopping center.

A close friend of mine's cousin is Ace's bassist.  He played with the Cult for many years before joining Ace.  When playing locally, he plays at the Upstate Concert Hall, which is like a big bar in a shopping center, as well.  Ironically, I saw the Cult there after they got a new bassist.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

A close friend of mine's cousin is Ace's bassist.  He played with the Cult for many years before joining Ace.  When playing locally, he plays at the Upstate Concert Hall, which is like a big bar in a shopping center, as well.  Ironically, I saw the Cult there after they got a new bassist.

I saw a Doors tribute at the bar Ace plays at, about a month after Robby Krieger played there. I've also seen a KISS Tribute shortly after Ace was there.

I've read somewhere that Gene and Paul want the band to go on forever. And that when they retire, they'll have auditions for new guys to be "The Demon" and "Starchild." Then the two would just be "CEOs" of the KISS brand and collect money.