Cover1 breaks down Allen's last drive against the Panthers

HappyDays

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Because it was the right read. Clock running that is a half field read. Depending how that CB plays that two man route combo thats where the ball goes. 

Sorry that was the right read. 

No it wasn't. Allen might be the only QB in the NFL that can even fit that in, doesn't make it right. 

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

No it wasn't. Allen might be the only QB in the NFL that can even fit that in, doesn't make it right. 

That is a standard double read to the short side. Most QBs would take the short out breaking route to get out of bounds and stop the clock. 

Allen and his arm allow the second read. With a running clock that play design is for an out of bounds clock stopping out or an incomplete or TD. 

His Arm allows that route concept. 

I got it you are used to QBs on the Bills taking the safe easy pass. So it brings a bias. 

Let me put it this way do you want a QB to keep holding the ball looking for a more open WR than a WR that is in a window but a harder throw to make earlier in their progression?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That doesn't make it wrong either.  It's like you're saying Allen shouldn't use his God given arm to all it's potential.

In the video there was likely one read I take an ahhh comeone Allen take the easy 7 yards. And that was pushing it to Preohl I think when TE was open in the flat to get 7 and get out of bounds. 

That and on the two point when he tried to break the pocket to his right. He should have broke it to the two man route concept to really keep the play alive. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, sven233 said:

That said, while I haven't been to every single practice, I have seen him practice and have watched his half multiple times against Carolina watching nothing but his footwork at times and I came away surprised how much better his base looked.  And while he still has a ways to go, in my opinion, he is much further along at this point than I thought he could get to since his college season ended.  This shows me the guy works at it and takes coaching well which is very important.

Count me into the eating crow group. Maybe Jordan Palmer really is a QB guru. I had the same thoughts on you from his college tape, that his arm was great but his footwork was too messy to be worth it. He's come a long way in just a few months. I can only imagine what he could be in a couple years.

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Not sure why Cover1 accepts the read on the TD. That was a low % attempt. The coverage should have lead Allen to the middle of the field. Hopefully Bills coaches don't accept that read.

He explained that it was a half field read, and by the time Proehl broke open Allen was already releasing the ball. I'm not going to criticize that TD. It wasn't a fluke or anything, it was just a great pump fake and throw. The one throw Erik criticized was the incompletion to Proehl downfield when Allen could have just checked down to a TE. But that's a way easier mistake to fix than trying to teach him to take chances downfield. If that's the worst thing you can point to in his first preseason game that's a really promising start.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is brilliant. Daboll’s schemes and this kids’ moxie are a match made in football Heaven. It’s no anomaly the Bills have by far the oldest RB group in the League. Their knowledge and savvy are on display with the chipping and accurate route running -and the youngins’ are learning from it! 

That shoulder dip though.. ?

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

If you take what Cover 1 said as truth, it was a half-field read, and Proehl wasn't even part of it. Nevertheless, Proehl wasn't open until Allen released the ball.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

If you take what Cover 1 said as truth, it was a half-field read, and Proehl wasn't even part of it. Nevertheless, Proehl wasn't open until Allen released the ball.

Dan orlovsky who has been an Allen hater since day 1 states he should have thrown in to Proehl.....my response is...if you have the talent and can make the throw that he did...who the !@#$ cares how you got the TD. Unbelievable that the Allen haters will find anything possible to to keep him down.

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Because it's true. If you get excited about him fitting it between defenders when the simple read was right in front of him then you're being biased. I don't want him to make that throw, I want him to recognize the wide open read based on the defense. 

I'm going to critique his play and strive for perfection. That was his 1st live action in the NFL. He won't be remembered for preseason week 1.

So ....rookie in his first play in the second half of a preseason game....would you ...as a builder of a team...rather see your number 1 pick make the "wrong choice" and show an insane amount of arm talent and make a play likely only one other guy in the NFL can make - maybe - ....or....demonstrate that he can't make that play and look for a safer throw...

I would rather have the first as you can't teach that type of arm....but you can teach reading the field....

We had a guy for the last three years that looked and waited for the perfect risk free pass.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That td pass to McCloud was either crazy or crazy good!! Did he just get lucky? Maybe that it wasn’t tipped yeah. But not the throw itself. Pinpoint and it got there before the def. could react. Allen has an elite arm in terms of strength. Now can he be consistent with it? Man I hope so! Because I want to see more of that for the next 10 - 15 years. 

11 hours ago, beerme1 said:
11 hours ago, beerme1 said:

Personally I would have released Foster after the game based on his play. Harsh yes but giving up on a play deserves harshness.

Have to agree with you.  Plus, Foster didn't lay out earlier and at least try to get that early ball that would have been a TD.  Yes, overthrown a bit, but really would have liked to see more effort to go after that ball from Foster.

37 minutes ago, Bring it said:

That td pass to McCloud was either crazy or crazy good!! Did he just get lucky? Maybe that it wasn’t tipped yeah. But not the throw itself. Pinpoint and it got there before the def. could react. Allen has an elite arm in terms of strength. Now can he be consistent with it? Man I hope so! Because I want to see more of that for the next 10 - 15 years. 

17 to 18.....

8 hours ago, Doc said:

(although what he did on that 4th down play should never happen again). 

It's hilarious that this play is the #1 takeaway on Allen around the country. People are saying "Gotta throw that one away"... sure, give yourself a chance on 5th down, right?

It's almost a shame that the Friday game is national. I'd love for every non-Bills fan to sleep on Allen and file him away as the next Peterman.

14 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I don't think anyone can watch that throw to Lee and honestly say that Allen is inaccurate. Inconsistant? Yes. Not inaccurate. 

Hmm, consistency is a component of accuracy, both of which are components of completion percentage. (Along with other circumstances like receivers dropping balls, poor OL blocking, etc)

If Allen cannot become more consistent, then his accuracy will not improve, and neither will his completion percentage.

"Accuracy" for an NFL QB (In terms of them being a starter or not) is not measured on a per pass basis.

Edited by Magnetar