Peterman is now officially TRADE BAIT

Punt75

Peterman showed the qualities he has that everyone already knew. Not a chance he is trade bait because of his showing. He didn't show anything that would quell the stuff he can't do or hasn't shown he could do. This is Trent Edwards all over again. 

He played excellent. I am not going to fault him. He threw one bad pass out of ten. But we already knew he could do what he did. He cannot succeed, ever, if he cannot get the ball downfield or be able to handle a rush, and he didn't show he could do that tonight in any way. He had a great game at what he is good at, that's it. 

1 hour ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I actually think Peterman is the perfect backup. McCarron I think will move on after this year.  Allen starts next year.

I think AJM is better than Peterman.  The ball comes out tighter and with more velocity. 

I also think its its only fair AJM gets a go with the ones the next game to compare.

AJM is already signed for next year.  He may be tradable.

11 minutes ago, Boludo said:

Team hasn't had good QB in 20 years, and people are talking about trying to trade away a young QB that is showing a bit of possible potential.

Classic Bills fans.

If QBs are playing well keep them!

12 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

That Chargers game confuses the negative Nancy's though. They base everything about him off a couple games in his rookie season. That's enough, for those who base things off hot takes, to deem him not worthy. 

unlike those basing their opinion of him off of part of the first preseason game?

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

No way. The coaches love them some Peterman. If anything, McCarron is trade bait. I doubt either gets traded though 

every coach has one of these it seems. Marrone had Tuel Time. Jauron had Trent. Gailey had Thigpen.  Now McDermott has Nasty Nate.

No way. The coaches love them some Peterman. If anything, McCarron is trade bait. I doubt either gets traded though 

every coach has one of these it seems. Marrone had Tuel Time. Jauron had Trent. Gailey had Thigpen.  Now McDermott has Nasty Nate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

This "hot take" made me chuckle.

I don't know if you're serious or not, but it was amusing nonetheless. Peterman is trade bait because he played decent in 1 preseason game....the logic around that one is hilarious.

they won't remember those other games.

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Totally agree. Totally agree. Get the papers. Get the papers. 

1 hour ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I actually think Peterman is the perfect backup. McCarron I think will move on after this year.  Allen starts next year.

I think AJM is better than Peterman.  The ball comes out tighter and with more velocity. 

I also think its its only fair AJM gets a go with the ones the next game to compare.

If McCarron is better, he should be on the team. We are trying to win.

• Like (+1) 1

I completely agree I think Peterman is slightly more polished than McCarron. AJ will be the one traded and Nate will be the long term backup.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I completely agree I think Peterman is slightly more polished than McCarron. AJ will be the one traded and Nate will be the long term backup.

What makes you think that? Peterman showed one thing well. It's an important thing, quick decision and release and short ball accuracy but it is one thing and we knew that already. McCarron showed a bunch of things, an ability to look to second and third options, an ability to handle the rush, an ability to throw downfield at least 20 yards. And has by all or most accounts been slightly better in practices. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Peterman showed one thing well. It's an important thing, quick decision and release and short ball accuracy but it is one thing and we knew that already.  

Agreed.  Nate's lack of arm strength was on display again tonight.  He was effective getting the ball out quickly but some of those throws were duck-like, just as they were last year.  I suspect having a scripted first series probably helped, as did pretty solid protection by the O-line.   OTOH, his TD was a thing of beauty so he's still in the conversation.

Bottom line, he's effective against zone coverage but a disaster waiting to happen against tight man-to-man or when forced to throw the deep out.   I'll give him his props tonight but I suspect the defensive book on him is pretty much set--rush five, get in his face and take away the safety valve outlets...

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Agreed.  Nate's lack of arm strength was on display again tonight.  He was effective getting the ball out quickly but some of those throws were duck-like, just as they were last year.  I suspect having a scripted first series probably helped, as did pretty solid protection by the O-line.   OTOH, his TD was a thing of beauty so he's still in the conversation.

Bottom line, he's effective against zone coverage but a disaster waiting to happen against tight man-to-man or when forced to throw the deep out.   I'll give him his props tonight but I suspect the defensive book on him is pretty much set--rush five, get in his face and take away the safety valve outlets...

Agreed. The real problem is that a guy like Nate can look great in preseason. Colt McCoy can. Kellen Moore can. Trent Edwards could. A bunch of guys can. Because it's 80% speed and the stuff they can't do is not exposed. 

Peterman was great tonight. You can't fault him for a TD drive. I did think his Int was his fault for a pass well behind the receiver. But not matter how great he played or his stats were he NEVER EVER EVER showed that his fatal flaws do not still lurk. Not once. He didn't throw downfield. He didn't show velocity. He didn't handle a strong rush. He didn't look to his third and fourth read. 

He did what he does well very well. There are twenty other elements of quarterbacking he didn't show and no one can be good without showing them. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

So you believe that Nate never has to throw a ball downfield or a tough pass the rest of his career? 

He threw the ball downfield today. The kid can make every throw you need a QB to make. Extremely few great NFL QBs have a rocket launcher. It's often the sign of a poor QB more than it is the sign of a good one. I'll take the guy that completes passes, and you can have Ricky Vaughan.