Is Zay Jones A “Lock” To Make The Roster

3 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Didn’t Zay return to full practice today? Seems like he’s ready to play. And if “no-nonsense” McBeane were really concerned about the hotel Zay would be gone already.

Is he still in the not full capacity red no contact jersy? 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No, not on McDermott. I never did. I like McDermott and think in an ideal world he is their swing tackle. 

Logan Thomas sucks. If he makes the roster again there is something wrong. 

Oh and Corey goes straight in above Zay. So you now have: Benjamin, Kerley, Coleman plus Holmes (as a core STer and back of the roster WR). The Zay is in a fight for one of the two or three remaining spots. 

Gunner, I couldn't copy your post but if you go back to your projected roster thread you had Conor McCermott in red, indicating that he would be cut. It could have been an unintended posting error so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.  

With respect to Logan Thomas I still believe he will make the roster. This regime likes tall receivers. As far as Zay he is a lock. You will not shake me off of this opinion. Zay knows he screwed up so he is focused like a laser beam. Trust me with him. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Gunner, I couldn't copy your post but if you go back to your projected roster thread you had Conor McCermott in red, indicating that he would be cut. It could have been an unintended posting error so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.  

With respect to Logan Thomas I still believe he will make the roster. This regime likes tall receivers. As far as Zay he is a lock. You will not shake me off of this opinion. Zay knows he screwed up so he is focused like a laser beam. Trust me with him. 

RED was NOT an indicator that people would be cut.  Read the key again.  Red meant battling for a roster spot.  If you count up the people in black and blue you are still 10 short of the roster. If McDermott makes it he is not making it as a starter, he is making it as a swing guy and by definition those guys are battling for spots at this point. I quite like his chances one change I'd make from the original list is I would have Marshall Newhouse down from blue (likely) to red (battling) as well. I'd also have Ducasse and Miller now in black from blue as they have been unchanged as the first team guards through camp.  So that gives you maybe 1 maybe 2 spots left to battle for.  McDermott is in that battle - hence he will stay in red. If he outplays Newhouse, Redmond and Wesley in pre-season he likely sticks.  

Logan Thomas sucks. All the evidence shows us he sucks. He has had long enough now to make that transition a success. He still can't run a route and has questionable hands. He might make the team (again red is not saying he won't - I think that 3rd TE spot is still a battle and battles are RED) but he shouldn't make the roster. He sucks.  

And to me Zay remains not a lock.  And I was as big of a Zay fan coming out as you can find. Consider this... all 3 of the receivers now ahead of Zay have been brought into the team SINCE Zay Jones arrived. They are all here because the team was not getting enough protection from a WR corps that included Zay Jones.  I still think Zay is likely to make it.  When I update I will still have him in blue.  

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

RED was NOT an indicator that people would be cut.  Read the key again.  Red meant battling for a roster spot.  If you count up the people in black and blue you are still 10 short of the roster. If McDermott makes it he is not making it as a starter, he is making it as a swing guy and by definition those guys are battling for spots at this point. I quite like his chances one change I'd make from the original list is I would have Marshall Newhouse down from blue (likely) to red (battling) as well. I'd also have Ducasse and Miller now in black from blue as they have been unchanged as the first team guards through camp.  So that gives you maybe 1 maybe 2 spots left to battle for.  McDermott is in that battle - hence he will stay in red. If he outplays Newhouse, Redmond and Wesley in pre-season he likely sticks.  

Logan Thomas sucks. All the evidence shows us he sucks. He has had long enough now to make that transition a success. He still can't run a route and has questionable hands. He might make the team (again red is not saying he won't - I think that 3rd TE spot is still a battle and battles are RED) but he shouldn't make the roster. He sucks.  

And to me Zay remains not a lock.  And I was as big of a Zay fan coming out as you can find. Consider this... all 3 of the receivers now ahead of Zay have been brought into the team SINCE Zay Jones arrived. They are all here because the team was not getting enough protection from a WR corps that included Zay Jones.  I still think Zay is likely to make it.  When I update I will still have him in blue.  

I apologize. I took red as being excluded. I would move McDermott to a blue designation. I still consider Zay a lock and Logan will make it on the roster. 

He'll be fine. This organization is not going to throw the towel in on a second-round pick, one they traded up to get, after one season with less than stellar QB play and a rocky off-season. He's a good kid that slipped up over the off-season. 

29 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

He'll be fine. This organization is not going to throw the towel in on a second-round pick, one they traded up to get, after one season with less than stellar QB play and a rocky off-season. He's a good kid that slipped up over the off-season. 

I tend to agree.  I've posted about Zay before, as a friend of mine is familiar with the family.  This was a truly bizarre offseason but Zay has a strong support system and I believe he will come back strong.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

After Corey Coleman...I doubt it now. Zay could be cut

Wouldnt be cost effective to cut Zay. Better off holding onto him. Or, if they are dead set on moving him, he might recoup the pick we moved for Coleman.

11 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Coleman is apparently ready to play and didn't have any troubling off-season incidents I'm aware of.  

The incident was last off season, Buffalo apparently looked into the matter before acquiring COCO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleveland.cbslocal.com/2017/07/27/wr-corey-coleman-confident-legal-issue-behind-him-focused-on-strong-second-season-with-browns/amp/

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:01 PM, BuffaloRush said:

So Zay Jones returned to practice today after a disappointing rookie year and an a bizarre incident in the off-season which cost him the entire OTA’s and the start of training camp.

Question is - is Zay Jones a lock to make the roster.  On one hand it seems like a no brained.  He was a second round draft pick, and while he did fail to meeting expectations, he still is a higher pick.

But while we can speculate, we have no idea what happened this off-season.  There’s a good chance the Bills do and it could be worse than we expect.

Also remember, Zay is not a Brandon Beane guy.  He was drafted before Beane arrived, and while McDermott likely had a big hand in his selection, remember Beane has control of the 53.

Then there’s the emergence of WR’s like Malachy Dupree, Cam Phillips, and Reuben Foster (to a lesser extent).  One of two of those WR’s could conceivably take Zay’s roster.  It seems like Kelvin Benjamin, and Jeremy Kerley are the locks in the roster.  Everyone else seems to be muddled together fighting for one of 4 roster spots.  

I don’t think it’s likely that Zay doesn’t make the team, but I don’t think it’s a lock either.  

Curious to to hear your thoughts.  

I don't know if it is fair to link the bizarre incident with missing OTA's. Where was that stated as the cause?