Better Call Saul: Season 4

/dev/null

I literally gasped out loud when the bat stopped on the one punk's face in the pinata scene.  These past 2 episodes have been great.  I love the speculation here that Saul is talking to Howard or Kim in that opening scene in episode 5.  That thought NEVER crossed my mind.

23 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I literally gasped out loud when the bat stopped on the one punk's face in the pinata scene.  These past 2 episodes have been great.  I love the speculation here that Saul is talking to Howard or Kim in that opening scene in episode 5.  That thought NEVER crossed my mind.

how could one ever completely walk away from Jimmy until death do you part

15 hours ago, row_33 said:

Gus is too cautious to make a big speech like that

Do you mean b/c of fear that he would be overheard by someone in the hospital?

I think it was meant as a soliloquy, the viewer is to accept that the words spoken by Gus were really his thoughts.

One of the reasons Gus is a great character is because he is filled with complexity, which is just another way to say "contradiction".

On the one hand he conscientiously sweeps up the floor at his restaurant and if a patron left their wallet on a table, I think Gus would genuinely rush out to return it and be glad the person did not lose the item.

On the other hand, he is suffocating Arturo inside a plastic bag, which is a pretty hands-on, visceral way to go about killing someone.  

He indulges in common courtesy and politeness, but in the next moment he's going to great expense and bother to revive Hector, only so he can slowly torture and kill him on his own terms.

And best of all, ultimately, he is likable, and very intelligent.

All too often, characters are too stupid to be taken seriously in fiction. 

This show is a master class in how to go about writing a script for a TV show.

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Do you mean b/c of fear that he would be overheard by someone in the hospital?

I think it was meant as a soliloquy, the viewer is to accept that the words spoken by Gus were really his thoughts.

One of the reasons Gus is a great character is because he is filled with complexity, which is just another way to say "contradiction".

On the one hand he conscientiously sweeps up the floor at his restaurant and if a patron left their wallet on a table, I think Gus would genuinely rush out to return it and be glad the person did not lose the item.

On the other hand, he is suffocating Arturo inside a plastic bag, which is a pretty hands-on, visceral way to go about killing someone.  

He indulges in common courtesy and politeness, but in the next moment he's going to great expense and bother to revive Hector, only so he can slowly torture and kill him on his own terms.

And best of all, ultimately, he is likable, and very intelligent.

All too often, characters are too stupid to be taken seriously in fiction. 

This show is a master class in how to go about writing a script for a TV show.

yup

12 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Isn't Hector in a private hospital(not even sure he's in a hospital), or is it that they brought in private doctors to take care of him

If Gus can arrange for a surgical team out in the desert after drinking hemlock?? spiked tequila then he can do anything back in the US

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

So who watched Episode 7? 

I thought it was another excellent show.  Lots of stuff continues to brew under the surface.

It started slow. Picked up. Loved it. Right from the opening credits you could see Kim and Jimmy becoming distant.  

I think we may be into something that Kim is the unseen cleaner that has been talked about. 

They are definitely on different paths and it’s never been more noticeable 

• Like (+1) 1

They grow apart, she has no clue what Jimmy has been doing for 8 months, besides collecting tacky tracksuits. But she jumps over to his dark side at the end with something up her sleeve more sinister than Jimmy to get Huell out of jail, involves a lot of office supplies??!!!!! She is “Giselle” again and way smarter than “Victor” Jimmy..... the prosecutor’s pigheaded, probably racist, refusal turns her.

horny Hector is off to Tuco’s tight ranch with a bell to tap as his highest improvement. The parallel with Hank’s recovery is shown as BB Hank’s is fueled by the love of his crazed and devoted wife.

Mike gets to scout out a cathouse for the next year for the Germans? He’s not an orgy guy.

good use of Pete Seeger’s BRCM, a hobo song of the Depression that was sanitized and turned into a children’s song by the 1960s

Did they hold German POWs in Arizona during and after WW2? With some escapes?

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

They grow apart, she has no clue what Jimmy has been doing for 8 months, besides collecting tacky tracksuits. But she jumps over to his dark side at the end with something up her sleeve more sinister than Jimmy to get Huell out of jail, involves a lot of office supplies??!!!!! She is “Giselle” again and way smarter than “Victor” Jimmy..... the prosecutor’s pigheaded, probably racist, refusal turns her.

horny Hector is off to Tuco’s tight ranch with a bell to tap as his highest improvement. The parallel with Hank’s recovery is shown as BB Hank’s is fueled by the love of his crazed and devoted wife.

Mike gets to scout out a cathouse for the next year for the Germans? He’s not an orgy guy.

good use of Pete Seeger’s BRCM, a hobo song of the Depression that was sanitized and turned into a children’s song by the 1960s

Did they hold German POWs in Arizona during and after WW2? With some escapes?

It's possible they held Germans in AZ; definitely had tons of them in Texas.

A provision of the Geneva Convention was that troops captured in battle had to be held captive in a climate similar to where they surrendered.  For that reason, when the entire DAK collapsed in May 1943, many went to Texas, where the arid climate was considered comparable to N. Africa.

I didn't get the scene down in the meth lab, when the German workers started fighting with each other.

Mike, whose character is clearly portrayed as not being able to speak German, breaks up the fight by shouting "Jungs kommt runter!" which is an idiom basically meaning "Boys, calm down!"

There's no way in the world his character would know how to say that.  He can't even say "Prost!" when he drinks beer with the lead architect/construction dude.

Where that came from or where the show was going with the German in the meth lab, I don't know.

Loved the scene where Gus realized Hector was still himself, and how he determined that...and how that was all totally missed by the female doctor.

Gus was like "Yep, he's himself.  This will work" and like that the doctor was dismissed, her work being done.

Curious as to what Kim's master plan is that was hinted at at the end of the show.  I've been saying for a while she's going to dump Jimmy and it still looks that way.

Edited by Fadingpain

Thanks for the history, I recall there was an escape in the Arizona desert of officers with nowhere to go and a return to their confines. Someone here will have better details.

Kim  still loves him, she switches between an Iron Lady at work and back to the relationship away from work. She wouldn’t be exasperated with him if she didn’t care.

Jimmy showed his charm and wit and lack of intellectual and high-tea powers at the firm party. He fits in with her concern for the underclass, she was really ticked when the prosecutor unknowingly attacked her man.

i guess Mike has picked up a lot of the German language from supervising this work camp project, he has none of their culture or irony despite his last name. 

The show sure has little respect for the ethics of lawyers and doctors, this brilliant woman is bought off with a new wing for her specialty and leaves Hector with no thought at all. A female House MD.

could be worse, The Wire spent too long a season nursing a grudge the creative mind had for newspaper ethics, also with Costabile being his scene-capturing annoying self.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Loved the scene where Gus realized Hector was still himself, and how he determined that...and how that was all totally missed by the female doctor.

Also, by haltering his progress he knows he can torment Salamanca without him being able to speak the rest of his life.  Cold blooded.

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

It's possible they held Germans in AZ; definitely had tons of them in Texas.

A provision of the Geneva Convention was that troops captured in battle had to be held captive in a climate similar to where they surrendered.  For that reason, when the entire DAK collapsed in May 1943, many went to Texas, where the arid climate was considered comparable to N. Africa.

I didn't get the scene down in the meth lab, when the German workers started fighting with each other.

Mike, whose character is clearly portrayed as not being able to speak German, breaks up the fight by shouting "Jungs kommt runter!" which is an idiom basically meaning "Boys, calm down!"

There's no way in the world his character would know how to say that.  He can't even say "Prost!" when he drinks beer with the lead architect/construction dude.

Where that came from or where the show was going with the German in the meth lab, I don't know.

Gus was like "Yep, he's himself.  This will work" and like that the doctor was dismissed, her work being done.

Curious as to what Kim's master plan is that was hinted at at the end of the show.  I've been saying for a while she's going to dump Jimmy and it still looks that way.

No way in the world that he learned how to say three words in a few months?  Just wondering why you think that's so far fetched?  My co workers learned to say it in 5 seconds. Why should it take Mike years? 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

37 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

No way in the world that he learned how to say three words in a few months?  Just wondering why you think that's so far fetched?  My co workers learned to say it in 5 seconds. Why should it take Mike years? 

it's TV, they can do anything they want to

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

This one really didn't do much for me, but it flew by.  That has to be a sign of great tv.

the story is unfolded like a mental patient methodically and slowing removing cat hair from their sweater

lets you stretch it out for 30 more episodes

sometimes shows take too much advantage of this

Just now, row_33 said:

the story is unfolded like a mental patient methodically and slowing removing cat hair from their sweater

lets you stretch it out for 30 more episodes

sometimes shows take too much advantage of this

I have absolutely no complaints about it.  I was a bit distracted yesterday, but when the end credits rolled, I immediately thought "wait, already?".  Some AMC shows are much better with cliff hanger endings than others.

49 minutes ago, shrader said:

I have absolutely no complaints about it.  I was a bit distracted yesterday, but when the end credits rolled, I immediately thought "wait, already?".  Some AMC shows are much better with cliff hanger endings than others.

i really like the show, i was getting a bit frayed with the way BB was defying physics and poetic license by the time it finished.

not much else on to follow as it's released these days, not a binge watcher.... BCS has been a great show

54 minutes ago, shrader said:

This one really didn't do much for me, but it flew by.  That has to be a sign of great tv.

I have commented more than a few times how fast the hour goes by when watching this show. 

• Like (+1) 1