Better Call Saul: Season 4

/dev/null

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A few episodes back, Jimmy used "Saul Goodman" on his phone-selling business cards. I guess he decided to keep that and get as far away from his brother's shadow as possible.

He also used it for the name of his "production company" when he was maki g and selling the commercial advertising space he bought before losing his liscence.

He may have also used it during his 'Slippin Jimmy' years. It's his usual Alias for business ventures when he doesnt want to use his own name.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Nope. No it does not.

some think The Fly episode the greatest achievement in history, i thought it one of the most overrated things in history.

all mileage seems to vary

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

some think The Fly episode the greatest achievement in history, i thought it one of the most overrated things in history.

Sure. I thought that episode was boring and is the only one I completely skip when I re-watch the series. Which I’ve done 5 times.

The first season doesn’t drag though. No need to forewarn someone of something that doesn’t happen.

8 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think he knows that he will always be associated with and tied to Chuck because of his name and will never get a chance because of it. Also this allows him to wipe the slate clean and start over with his own identity

8 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I never watched BB so most of this is very new to me.   I've got netflix now so one of these shut in weekends i'm going to start binge watching that show. 

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A few episodes back, Jimmy used "Saul Goodman" on his phone-selling business cards. I guess he decided to keep that and get as far away from his brother's shadow as possible.

It's all good man.

7 hours ago, shrader said:

Did they ever give a full explanation of the list of people that Mike was protecting and giving money at the end of his run on Breaking Bad?

Ptr did a great job explaining it.  That episode of Walter having the hit done was excellent

I finally had a chance to see the finale.  Great episode.

Love the redemption theme that has been explored throughout the season and really focused on in this last episode.

Once we acquire a label in life, are we ever able to truly be judged fairly again, or will that label always define who we are?  Jimmy explains it in detail to the scholarship applicant who shoplifted.  She is seeking redemption but he tells her she'll never get it from the legal establishment.  Jimmy was seeking redemption from the Bar Association but he did get it.  

Werner asked for redemption from Mike and/or Gus, and he certainly didn't get it.

We have now seen 3 separate scenes where Kim is disturbed by Jimmy's reaction to his brother's death.

First it was when Jimmy went into the kitchen and was asking about food at the end of the episode with Howard crying and Kim wondering why Jimmy wasn't more upset about his brother's death.

Then the letter reading scene, also in the kitchen.  Jimmy reads the letter quickly and without emotion, and Kim doesn't like it.

Now in the last episode we see that Saul's statement before the committee was BS and staged.  Kim is shocked that he wasn't sincere in his statements.  He makes fun of one guy "who was actually crying" and of course, we saw that Kim was in fact crying herself.

Kim is a high quality individual and I think she sees that it is not going to work out with Jimmy.  She is going to dump him.  I've been saying it all season and I think it's coming.

Jimmy/Saul is easily my least favorite character in the entire show.  He is not likable and leads a rather empty existence, ultimately.

I agree that the scene with him crying in the car in the parking garage was him briefly coming to grips with reality and grieving his brother's death.  Jimmy spends most of his time in denial; the crying in the car scene was a rare respite from that. 

Jimmy wants to change his name as a "F. YOU" statement to his brother, the family name, and the legal establishment.  It's like his advice to the girl who shoplifted.  He told her they will never forgive her but it's OK b/c she can play the game by her own rules and finish ahead of them. 

Jimmy changing his name is him playing by his own rules.  He'll never be a named partner at a large corporate law firm like his brother.  He'll never be a part of the legal establishment in that way.  

But he can go it his own way, and he does not want to be associated with his brother in any way.

Regarding the timing of the show and how many seasons are left: I think that is a function of the show creators and how long they want to keep going with it.  They can squeeze new life out of it almost forever.

Don't forget, they can buy a lot of time by changing the time resolution of the show.  1 episode can represent the passage of 8 months, or 3 episodes can represent only 3 consecutive days.

It's often not clear how much time has elapsed between episodes in a series in any event.  

I hope they keep going forever!

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They were people loyal to Gus and they took a fall for him. Payments were meant to keep them quiet while locked up. Walt White had other plans though.  There was also money Mike was setting aside for his granddaughter.

Were they specifically named though, or more than just one or two of them?  I only watched the complete series one time, so it's been a while.  I could see a lab builder finding his way on there if things go the right way in the future.  Hell, I could even see Kai somehow turning around and becoming very useful once the switch flips in his head.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the season today. Great setup for season 5, however I feel like they do this at the end of every season. 

Was surprised Mike actually killed the guy at the end. Was certain he was gonna let him go. Anyway, great season. As always, hoping they pick up the story a bit next season 

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

Finally finished the season today. Great setup for season 5, however I feel like they do this at the end of every season. 

Was surprised Mike actually killed the guy at the end. Was certain he was gonna let him go. Anyway, great season. As always, hoping they pick up the story a bit next season 

I love how Kim bought Jimmy 's story to get his license back and then was shocked when it was all an act. Also like how he told that girl to fight the system.

Would like to see a show were Mike and Heisenberg survive and become arch rival drug lords. (Although Mike the actor doesn't look to healthy , his eyes are closing which usually means death is around the corner.)

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I love how Kim bought Jimmy 's story to get his license back and then was shocked when it was all an act. Also like how he told that girl to fight the system.

Would like to see a show were Mike and Heisenberg survive and become arch rival drug lords. (Although Mike the actor doesn't look to healthy , his eyes are closing which usually means death is around the corner.)

Mike's such a huge charecter in better call Saul, I hate the way he was killed off in breaking bad. It should've been more epic lol

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

Mike's such a huge charecter in better call Saul, I hate the way he was killed off in breaking bad. It should've been more epic lol

I binge watched most of BB and have seen every episode of the show.

But that was a while ago now, and your post reminds me that I have no recollection, whatsoever, about Mike's death!  And he is probably my favorite character from either show!  I'm sure there is a lot of other stuff I don't remember too!

This is a good thing.  Especially with a better understanding of that world as a result of watching BCS, I can go back and re-watch BB at some point and probably enjoy it even more.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

thats why I think he can come back because did he really die or did it just look like it. :D

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I binge watched most of BB and have seen every episode of the show.

But that was a while ago now, and your post reminds me that I have no recollection, whatsoever, about Mike's death!  And he is probably my favorite character from either show!  I'm sure there is a lot of other stuff I don't remember too!

This is a good thing.  Especially with a better understanding of that world as a result of watching BCS, I can go back and re-watch BB at some point and probably enjoy it even more.

If I recall correctly, Walter white shoots him while he's sitting in his car and the car just rolls off into the woods or creek or something. I actually remember when i watched that episode thinking how the writers of bb just seemed to write his charecter off in a very rushed way. 

23 hours ago, Steptide said:

No death could have lived up to the level of awesomeness that was Mike.  It would have been fun though to see how he would have taken down Uncle Jack in the finale.  But who am I kidding, they're all dead long before that point if Mike was still around.

14 hours ago, Steptide said:

If I recall correctly, Walter white shoots him while he's sitting in his car and the car just rolls off into the woods or creek or something. I actually remember when i watched that episode thinking how the writers of bb just seemed to write his charecter off in a very rushed way. 

Walt shot him in car. Mike drives off maybe a hundred yards or so gets out and heads to the creek where he sits down and walt finds him. Walt realizes that this could have been avoided because Lydia has the names. Mike tells walt to shut up and let him die in peace. Min later he falls over most likely dead. Hated that scene. Mike is my favorite character 

On 10/28/2018 at 10:10 AM, Steptide said:

a man who is super cautious yet fails at almost every critical small detail that confronts him

he got what he deserved, as Gus did for his pride and arrogance

On 10/10/2018 at 3:04 PM, row_33 said:

Some people like The Fly episode?! I thought it was the only boring episode in the entire series. I am with Jay Fixit, I skip it every time I re-watch the series. 

13 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Some people like The Fly episode?! I thought it was the only boring episode in the entire series. I am with Jay Fixit, I skip it every time I re-watch the series. 

I've almost been burned at the stake for saying I didn't like The Fly episode through the years.

------------------------------------------

Gus's life growing up in Chile and becoming a total badass entails a huge amount of terror and torture militarily and politically, which would be a good spinoff.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/28/2018 at 7:27 PM, Steptide said:

I think I do recall the scene now that you remind me.  

A show with this much complexity though can be enjoyed a second time IMO.  There's so much going on all the time I tend not to remember what's going to happen next in any one particular episode, especially if it's been years since you watched it.

Another candidate for this, at least for me, would be "LOST."  I've seen every episode of that too, but it was hard to follow even when I was binge watching at times.  Could definitely watch that a second time and not really know what was about to happen next for much of it.

On 10/29/2018 at 12:40 PM, Bills2ref said:

Just read about that episode at Wikipedia; now I remember it.  Didn't know which one it was at first.

From Wikipedia:

"Fly" was produced as a result of the series' considerable budgetary restrictions and being unable to afford the $25,000–$35,000 needed to move the production trucks to a new location.[1] Series creator Vince Gilligan remarked: "We were hopelessly over budget ... And we needed to come up with what is called a bottle episode, set in one location."